Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100967 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
4 hrs 29 min off a pair of Duracell Coppertop alkalines with the new firmware.  Dual(line) mode, mic power on.  Granted the batteries had also been used for the firmware update (just took a minute or two).  Not sure that's really any improvement.  I was encouraged at first that the battery meter seemed to be going down slower than usual with alkalines, but then it must have dropped off faster than usual once I went to bed.  Giving it one more pass tonight.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2010, 06:55:54 AM »
One of the batteries sold here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136752.msg1779112#msg1779112

I also just ordered this battery for an ipod touch extender:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CFSTRC/ref=oss_product

I'm thinking it will work for the DR-2d as well. I'll test it when it arrives.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »

I'm using the other one. It's the exact same width and length as my Littlebox so it snugs up right next to it in my bag. I haven't had to worry about battery life at all....till I forgot the cable for it at Garage a Trois Tuesday night. But I made it on some rechargeable AAs I had in the bag just in case I had to leave my other deck downstairs at the soundboard for a patch.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »

I also just ordered this battery for an ipod touch extender:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CFSTRC/ref=oss_product

I'm thinking it will work for the DR-2d as well. I'll test it when it arrives.

The New Trent battery doesn't come with a connector that would work for the DR-2d (only came with an iPod dock connector, and the 2 mini-USB connectors). I'm guessing it would work, provided that you could order the proper tip.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Taped last night [24/48 four channel using dual (line) mode] running firmware V1 with  PowerGenix LiZn batteries (1.6V 2500mWh) freshly charged, and the recorder ran for a total of 3 hrs 52 minutes.  I turned it off for about 15 minutes between sets, then started a new file after the end of the show without turning it off and let it run until it shut down.

I'll run another test after updating the firmware to see if it makes any difference.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:56 AM »
New firmware is now up on the US Tascam site so I downloaded that version today (v1.01 0021), updated and ran another test with a different pair of fresh charged PowerGenix LiZn's using the same recorder settings.  Let it run straight through with no 15 minute off set break. Recorded for 4 hrs 44 minutes, writing a total of 9.15GB.  Quality higher rated NiMh batteries will likley last longer still while new.

With my first gen R-09s getting 5-6 hrs on older 2100mAh low-self discharge NiMh and the new gen Sony recorders seemingly running for days on 2 AAs, I could take this as still disapointing. But since the primary attraction for me is 4 track dual mode, ~52 minutes more is very good... and probably enough that I won't worry about it.  A reliable 4-1/2 hour recorder -vs- a 3-1/2 hr one (with these batteries) is a big practical difference. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pigsinspace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
I just finished this test with my new dr2d:
Got 4 brand new Eneloops, discharged at 0.25C with a MAHA C9000 charger then charged with the 'break-in' setting of the charger (charge @0.1C for 16h, discharge @0.2C, charge @0.1C for 16 hours) indicated for new batteries forming.
Then took the 2 that were best matched at 1987 and 1988 mAh and put in the recorder.
Then did a recording Dual(Line) with no MIC IN PWR @16/44.1 and it lasted for approx 6h11m.
I don't think we can go much more than this; the 'break-in' mode isn't very indicated for batteries that are not new or dead and also it takes two days for charging them!

I tried also a pair of old Panasonic Infinium charged with some 'regular' charger and lasted for 4h42m. Now am running the same test as the Eneloops on 4 brand new Panasonic, will post the results if there's some interest.

I also put one charged battery and a weak one and after one minute the recorder said there was no battery... Maybe it is also sensitive to non matched batteries ?

I think it is a bit disappointing as well. It is true that I am recording 4 tracks, but....

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
It is true that I am recording 4 tracks, but....

From the perspecitve of run time time per recorded channel / the number of batteries in the recorder, this machine does a great job on just two AAs in dual (line) mode. 

Consider the closest small 4-channel recorder in comparison, which is probably the R-44 (not using phantom power).  I always run the R-44 on DVD batteries with it's AA's just for backup, but I doubt it would run longer on just the internal batteries, and the R-44 uses four AA's.

Of course the comparison ends there as they are otherwise different machines with different uses.  Just saying.

6 hrs is outstanding.

Offline pigsinspace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
You are right, but from what I've seen the time does not double if I record only 2 tracks, it stays the same approx. So while I think it's doing the job if you go dual and I'm happy with that, for two tracks someone may find it disappointing since with not brand new batteries charged normally goes about 4.5 hours (my tests, other people reports 3 hours or even minutes...).
I think with a pair of good matched batteries it does the job for me in dual.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
A couple things-

Got 5.5 hrs out of the same 2000 mAh precharged NiMHs I was getting 4.5 hours out of, even in my first try after the firmware update.  Maybe the batteries just needed a deep discharge, or maybe dual/-12 takes less battery juice than dual/line for some reason.

Also, my autosplits are now at 2.15 gigabytes (running 24/44.1).  ???

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
i finally ran this in dual mode at Rush in WPB....and got the dreaded file errror at about 49 min in the second set and lost the file, it would not write, shows zero data, but the card remaining appears to show that the data is on there. i know someone else got this error, i wonder if they ever recovered the data? in any case, i think this was an overheating issue, possibly the card but i tested the card at home and it worked fine (only one test however). i did record the night before, NOT in dual mode and the recorder was in my fanny pack the whole show, with some venting (opened pocket occasionally) and i got the whole show on same card. has anyone else who is stealthing this unit in a bag or pack, having these file writing errors? this happened even after i shut it down b/t intermisssion and changed the batteries and it still only lasted 49 minutes. i did not find out til after the show so i could not fix or restart prior to that. it was a write error too so i'm hoping a little bit that its the card and not the heat. i'm using an appoved 16gb transcend new card. i guess i need to run more tests. this really burns me however. now, both these gigs where in FL, in the heat outdoors and this unit definatly gets hot after a while. the battery life is ok, i'm using enelopes and no problems for a 3 hour gig but i switched them out just to be safe since the intermission is 25min and its easy to do.

the sound is nice on this, i think the bass response is good but not as deep as the R9 but still very good and really not as boomy, which is probably a good thing. just some notes on the levels and such.

i ran line in at 100 with CA-14 mics and Ugly Pre at +20db in 23rd row and my peaks on that are solid at -18db with no peaks over -12db. very hard to brick this deck.
i ran mic in at 65 with CAFS omnis and Ugly Pre at 20+db in same seat and my peaks on that are solid at -8db with no real peaks over -4db. almost cutting it close but i've listened back and it sounds clean with no distortion. i have two UGLY's.

with the Church mics, which have the 4.7k mod, there is no way to bust the levels on this recorder LINE IN with +20db gain or more. mic in you can if you get too hot or the mics are hotter. it was extremely loud, i was center so not directly in front of PA but it was still very loud. i would always suggest running with external battery for any mics. this unit is pretty easy to crotch, a little bigger than R9 but not by much. i'm going to be taping end of the month again, and planning to run dual again, but i'm either hanging this around my neck or using a home made belt clip and see if that works.

i would appreciate some feedback on the heat issue from anyone, anyone recording long periods of time, in a fanny pack or with no venting/ issues? or not open to the air, in a bag or whatever. very curious......thanks.

Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
I'm also running two UGLYs, more sensitive mics but similar recorder gain settings- recording less loud material.  No problems so far for me running typical concert length in dual (line) mode, recorder protected in a beer coozie, inside a pant pocket.

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
gutbucket, thanks for the reply, i am going to run tests at home with Sandisk cards and covering the unit to get it hot, and see if it craps out or not. if you have yours stuffed in a pants pocket and also covered and its not overheating, then these Transcend cards are worthless and i knew that when i bought it but oh well. live and learn.

what king of SD cards are you running? thanks.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
Kingston 16GB class 4 in there now,  I've also run Kingston 8GB (both class 6 and class 4) in it with no problems.. haven't tried my Kingston 32GB cards in there yet.  The recorder gets warm (more so than my R-09s) but not overly hot.

The only Trancend card I own is their original 16GB one which worked fine for a couple years then got flaky so I retired it.  Went to the Kingstons after that because the prices were good and they have worked fine in my R-09s R-44, cameras and this recorder.

Funny that the Transcend is one of the few on Tascam's 'tested as OK' list.

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
just a quick update. i've run two sets of tests on this deck with new Sandisk Class 6 card Extreme II and its recording fine, all files writing and saving, no errors, not feeding a loud signal but its covered with towel and in my fanny pack and the deck is not getting as hot as it was in the field. it is definately flaky with cards. my battery tests on not so old Enelops 2000, 4:24 hours on one set, only 3:27 on the other set. the later i have used more often. i have the 1.0 firmware. i am going to run tests to see if regular copper tops will run 4 hours, i saw that but with new firmware update. i am going to try them without updating and see what they pull. i hate to buy lithiums but i know those would cover me for sure.

also, has anyone run tests with Lithiums? just curious if those would net 6-7 hours solid or more. ok, great thread, love this deck other than battery life.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com