Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 108920 times)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #300 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
Thats why Im going to TEST them first :P ;)

Did aerco ever mention anything about the gain adjustment problem you had in Houston? Just curious...

The Aerco does not adjust gain gracefully. I cut the pops from a few tracks during crowd noise. I left the couple during the tunes.

I'm at the point now where 9 times out of 10 I get the right gain setting before the music starts. 

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #301 on: May 13, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

Did aerco ever mention anything about the gain adjustment problem you had in Houston? Just curious...

The Aerco does not adjust gain gracefully. I cut the pops from a few tracks during crowd noise. I left the couple during the tunes.

It's a known issue.  It can be over come by using variable gain pots, but they fail sooner than the fixed pots.  I knew there would be issues when I recorded WSP, but it was my first time running the Aerco & I wanted to hear it for myself.  My plan of attack for the future is to get it close & fine tune with the 722.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »

It's a known issue.  It can be over come by using variable gain pots, but they fail sooner than the fixed pots.  I knew there would be issues when I recorded WSP, but it was my first time running the Aerco & I wanted to hear it for myself.  My plan of attack for the future is to get it close & fine tune with the 722.

Yeah. I plan on running 20db on the Aerco and the rest w/ the 722, just like I have w/ the v2 and v3 and sonosax sx-m2. 30 would probably be alright, but why risk those nasty 10db jumps. Boy, I thought the DMIC-20 was bad when I ran that from 99-03, but 10db jumps are a lot worse :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
If you are fairly quick with the gain switches and do it at a decent moment, I've found the spikes can be cut from the wave fairly cleanly.  I haven't had much luck using NR on them because they are 100% noise. I usually get the gain right so it isn't often an issue.  An exception is someone like A. Escovedo who often comes into the audience and does a no-PA encore.  That's a case where you have to significantly increase gain and point the mics in a different direction.. But since you don't know quite where the band is going to stand (and they often move before the second song), it can be kinda busy.  So you're trying to be quick with your changes but not introduce handling noise, etc.

The AERCO needs 9 volts to produce 48 volt phantom.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »
If you are fairly quick with the gain switches and do it at a decent moment, I've found the spikes can be cut from the wave fairly cleanly.  I haven't had much luck using NR on them because they are 100% noise. I usually get the gain right so it isn't often an issue.  An exception is someone like A. Escovedo who often comes into the audience and does a no-PA encore.  That's a case where you have to significantly increase gain and point the mics in a different direction.. But since you don't know quite where the band is going to stand (and they often move before the second song), it can be kinda busy.  So you're trying to be quick with your changes but not introduce handling noise, etc.

The AERCO needs 9 volts to produce 48 volt phantom.

I'm pretty sure you don't need 9V.  I think you only need 8V, possibly less if your mics do not require 48V phantom.  The Aerco will run on standard 9V rechargeables (that are usually 8.4 V starting out). 

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
I usually don't have to change gain during the show, but when I do it's always in-between tunes.  Also, use the zoom feature in Wavelab to be able to cut out just the spike, and it should be "almost" seamless.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #306 on: May 14, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
I usually don't have to change gain during the show, but when I do it's always in-between tunes.  Also, use the zoom feature in Wavelab to be able to cut out just the spike, and it should be "almost" seamless.

I tend not to cut.  Just reduce gain by ~30db.  That way if I need to sync to video or sbd later the recording is still intact.  Also I can give my cue sheet to other tapers.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »

I tend not to cut.  Just reduce gain by ~30db.  That way if I need to sync to video or sbd later the recording is still intact.  Also I can give my cue sheet to other tapers.

That's a good idea, Prof.  +T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #308 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
On one show that an indie band really wanted a copy of (2-3 emails) I did go in and cut out the clicks, added fades prior to and after the clicks and then crossfaded (merged the two tracks).  This is the sexy solution... but it takes longer

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:30 PM »
how does this pre compare to the m148?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

At least one person has had both at the same time and decided to sell the m148... but take that with a grain of salt.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »

I have often heard that it is 85% of the M148.  Both in sound and in price.

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
I have both and would be hard pressed to sell either. I think they both have their places and the right mic combos. And I cannot stealth a 148... Call it lack of kahunas.. the thought of the brick falling down my pants leg and breaking my foot doesn't excite me.

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
thanks for the info guys
not that i am looking for either nor could i afford either right now anyway
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »
FYI.  Took these for someone a couple weeks ago.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com