Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in the Rain  (Read 5603 times)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Archive Bookmarks
Re: Taping in the Rain
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser.  I only had a problem ONCE and that is because I forgot to tape over a cable connection.

...never attempted it with LD mics, probably not a good idea.

really? you'll just let the mics fly up there with rain hitting the capsules/windscreens and such?

personally, i'd be a nervous wreck if that happened, but maybe thats because I live In Arizona and don't often see the rain, but when it does rain here, it is during Monsoon season.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
One of Ted's umbrellas or even a baby stroller umbrella is all you need for most tapers here.   

In my experience, a general shower has never significantly permeated my recording during loud concerts, where it bothered me.  It only added to the ambiance and history of the show recorded. 

That said, during massive downpours, there's no escaping the music, the drops hitting the umbrella, and the drops hitting the ground/other objects around me.  When it reaches that point, I've often asked myself:  "What the hell am I doin' out here?"   ???   My 2 cents.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 12:54:57 AM »
i sort of enjoy hearing the raindrops in between the music of my recordings  ;D

it reminds me of the effort it took to tape and sometimes adds to the ambiance of the recording

Agreed! The music is normally so loud, that you can ONLY hear the raindrops in-between the songs, which doesn't bug me at all. Like you said TJ, it reminds me of the efforts us tapers went through that night to nail a perfect days recording no matter what the weather was like ;D 8)

And I use hypers even at the OTS at festivals (and I just LOVE those outdoor hyper recordings) and I can BARELY hear raindrops in-between songs running the hypers. So raindrops don't matter or mean anything negative to me at all, and I personally like the ambiance of hearing them, just like my man TJ 8)

I am more concerned about keeping my mics/gear dry over BARELY AUDIBLE raindrops JUST in-between songs 8) :):smoking: :spin: Run hypers folks, and you wouldn't hear nearly as many raindrops :P ;)

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
A bit off the topic, but I was considering using the heat wrap that is used for making cables to seal up some Schoeps bodies, actives and shorty XLR cables together, to protect the bodies from getting scuffed up during use.  Anyone ever try this?

Josh

windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser.  I only had a problem ONCE and that is because I forgot to tape over a cable connection.

...never attempted it with LD mics, probably not a good idea.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:49:11 AM »
objects around me.  When it reaches that point, I've often asked myself:  "What the hell am I doin' out here?"   ???   My 2 cents.

The band is asking the same thing :)

- What's this knob do?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser. 

same, though I've always been nervous as hell about it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com