Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic upgrade question  (Read 2651 times)

Offline GOLEAFSGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Vancouver, BC
    • My Web Page
mic upgrade question
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:29:42 AM »
i am currently running a pair of C4's>v3>pmd670..  i would like to uprgrade my mics.  what is the best way to go and keep it under $1000.00?

thx
MBHO 603 > 744T

""I'm not from Mexico, but I'll eat me some beans!""

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re: mic upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:41:18 AM »
depends what sound you're looking for...you may want to try some akg's, mg's, mbho's...those would all fit in your budget.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:42:14 AM »
you have many options.  a lot of it depends on what you like.

if you go used, you could probably get a pair of AKG 480's, a pair of Neumann km184's, a pair of Pelusos (with many caps).  If you want large diaphram mics, you could get a pair of ADK mics (with selectable patterns).  This is all just off the top of my head.  You have a lot of options for under a grand.  what mics do you like?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:46:48 AM »
*Do you want/need for actives? 
*Do you want/need switcheable caps?

That will narrow down some of your options
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline GOLEAFSGO

• Taperssection Regular
  • Vancouver, BC
    • My Web Page
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
i guess i need to know what the "actives" means..  what is the purpose of using different caps?
MBHO 603 > 744T

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 11:43:14 AM »
http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6SK.html

That's what I would get, shit, it's what I've got. I've used a lot of different mics over the past 7 years and I've got to say, this is the best performace to cost mic out. Unless you are going to drop $2500+ I'd say the Peluso is the best thing going. Obviously if you are in love with a certain sound like the 480/mg300/184, then get what you like, but I think these mics compete with all those mics on every level. A used LSD2 is also something to consider, a great simple mic that can be had used for $600-$700. Doug Oade has raved about it and those of us that have used it love it.

A used pair of 480s or mg300s would be my 2nd choice behind the Peluso's or LSD2. Both are proven winners for PA taping. Listen to some samples and trust your ears. Drop me a pm and I'll send you some discs made with the Peluso mics if you like.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 11:44:51 AM »
i guess i need to know what the "actives" means..  what is the purpose of using different caps?

Actives are cables that allow you to run the caps remotely/not connected to the microphone body.  Makes for a more low pro setup when running an open rig and allows for stealthing.

Mics with active cables
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=15762.0

You have multiple sets of caps with your C4's.  They come with omni & card capsules.  They have difference pickup patterns that are suited for different situations.  Some people like using different caps, some use one cap 95% of the time.  Different caps allow for different configurations as well.

Cap/setup information
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=6160.0

I'd suggest starting here for some price info as well.

Gear Prices
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35004.0

It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:48:41 AM »
Also, to answer your question: Different caps give you different pick-up patterns for different acoustic environments. Do some reading in the archives to find out more.

Basically, for very noisy bad sounding venus a hyper-cardioid cap would be appropriate. For most decent sounding venus a Cardiod, which is less directional than a hyper, would be a good choice. For excellent sounding outdoor venus an omni cap which has a 360º pickup could be a good choice. There are no rules here and this is just a very basic explanation.

Offline GOLEAFSGO

• Taperssection Regular
  • Vancouver, BC
    • My Web Page
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:09:47 PM »
that is a big help..  i see a lot of people using Km184's... i guess ineed to read a bit on my own!

thx
MBHO 603 > 744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com