Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 123691 times)

Offline newscane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
I can think of some situations, like taping a stack at a DMB show.
Precisely.  I also don't get the full 13' of the 004, as the legs are kept together because of the way I secure the stand to the seats.  I'd say the top is more like 10-11'.

I don't have any superclamps (yet... nearly bought one when I ordered the extension).  Just tried rigging something in a similar way with a windtech and another clamp (the L-shaped kind... it's been mentioned here before)... it sort of works, but awkwardly.

I may see if I can make my own velcro straps, or daisy-chain them..
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »
ah, dmbexchange.  I used to have about 900 shows........  :)  At some point I realized I wasn't listening, and they took up more space in spindles than it was worth.  Of course now everyone just keeps them on hard drives.  Now I only have the ones I've been to, which is still 47.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
ah, dmbexchange.  I used to have about 900 shows........  :)  At some point I realized I wasn't listening, and they took up more space in spindles than it was worth.  Of course now everyone just keeps them on hard drives.  Now I only have the ones I've been to, which is still 47.
I haven't updated my dmbexchange list in a while.  I have a spreadsheet on my computer that I was pretty good about updating, until 2009 or so (maybe 2008?).  I also indicated what shows I'd burned to CD (had boatloads in cases, on shelves) and which ones I'd burned as FLAC/SHN to DVD.  Now I just have them on drives, spread out across 3 of them or so... it's a mess.  It's a good thing we're through the majority of the shows for this tour, otherwise I'd be in trouble (in need of another drive).

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
haha I hear ya.  If I would have had the storage space back in 2002, I would still have them all on drive.  As it was, I ended up trading all my 25 spindles of 100 discs to all sorts of traders, for blanks.  Then I got rid of the blanks in other ways and bought my first iPod ;)

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
I figure this is a good spot for this question.  Just got a Manfrotto 099b extension, to go along with my Manfrotto 004BAC.  Looking for a way to carry the two together, without necessarily getting a case.  I tried using two of the velcro cable ties, and those gave way pretty quickly.  Any suggestions?

I carry my mic stand in one of those tailgating chair bags and it works great
if you just want to carry the 2 stands together try a bungi cord or 2 :)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
I figure this is a good spot for this question.  Just got a Manfrotto 099b extension, to go along with my Manfrotto 004BAC.  Looking for a way to carry the two together, without necessarily getting a case.  I tried using two of the velcro cable ties, and those gave way pretty quickly.  Any suggestions?

I carry my mic stand in one of those tailgating chair bags and it works great
if you just want to carry the 2 stands together try a bungi cord or 2 :)
I bought a thing of 12' of Velcro for $10... cut 3 strips of it, and tied the two together with that.  Looks like it should hold pretty well!  Takes a little work to wrap it around, but not much harder than a bungi would be...

The only tailgating chair bag I have currently has a chair in it :)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »
Been meaning to post this for a while... When you clamp to a balcony you should be running safety lanyards to ensure the safety of others and to protect our privileges to continue to clamp in the best spot. Here's some ideas on how to create some convenient tie-off spots on your clamp system:

super clamp (and knock-offs) and bogen rapid-adapter both accept 1/4"-20 thread eye-hooks readily available from Home Depot...

https://picasaweb.google.com/114775014104918758740/July15201202

Chime in if you have problems accessing the photos. I'll do what I can...

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
I don't run safety lines only because I have CA14's and a bendy T bar which weigh nothing.  the lines would give out before my superclamp would.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
I don't run safety lines only because I have CA14's and a bendy T bar which weigh nothing.  the lines would give out before my superclamp would.

then I'd say you don't have very good lines. I trust my superclamp, but I don't necessarily trust the environmental effects (children running around, people tripping and hitting it, etc). Lots of things can cause a clamp to give without it failing per se.

Been meaning to post this for a while... When you clamp to a balcony you should be running safety lanyards to ensure the safety of others and to protect our privileges to continue to clamp in the best spot. Here's some ideas on how to create some convenient tie-off spots on your clamp system:

That's awesome. I especially love the rapid adaptor one.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
Those tiny mics would be like graceful falling leaves in comparison to a superclamp making a vertical bee-line to someone's head!  It's that massive clamp which would benefit from the tether-insurance if something unforseen were to shove it loose.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I complained earlier in this thread about the build quality of the Matthews extension pole:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33185-REG/Matthews_429499_Telescopic_Baby_Stand_Extension.html

I went to my local photo store hoping to replace it, and found a really nice 1/2 pole extension from Lowell:

http://www.lowel.com/stands_poles.html

The build quality is outstanding, the gauge of the aluminum is really thick and sturdy, and it just feels good. The sockets are very snug, so there's no wiggle room at all even before you tighten the nut. We had this pole mounted on a Matthellini clamped to a drink rail on Saturday with 2 sets of LDs and 1 SD pair, and it was solid as a rock. I like it so much, I'm going to get a full one as well. It should be a nice alternative to the 099B.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
I went to my local photo store hoping to replace it, and found a really nice 1/2 pole extension from Lowell:

That looks like a good alternative to the Matthews for extending out (or down) from a balcony.  I've never trusted my Matthews for that.  But for running vertically clamped to a table or armrest, the Matthews has worked great for me, and it's 18" longer than the Lowel pole.  I usually come pretty close to maxing out the 54" of the Matthews, and it collapses down to the same size of the Lowel (18") for easy transport in my bag.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

The build quality is outstanding, the gauge of the aluminum is really thick and sturdy, and it just feels good. The sockets are very snug, so there's no wiggle room at all even before you tighten the nut. We had this pole mounted on a Matthellini clamped to a drink rail on Saturday with 2 sets of LDs and 1 SD pair, and it was solid as a rock. I like it so much, I'm going to get a full one as well. It should be a nice alternative to the 099B.

Very nice.  Except for having a socket as opposed to a stud on the bottom, looks to have similar specs to the Manfrotto 122B.  I think having either one of those plus the 099B would have you covered for just about anything.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
does anyone have a link to purchase the extend-ilinni..? I can't seem to find it, and would like to order one. thx, in advance...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
does anyone have a link to purchase the extend-ilinni..? I can't seem to find it, and would like to order one. thx, in advance...

I put a link for one in the TSKB clamp thread with demo photos.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2456.msg1993445#msg1993445
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com