Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newb Taper etiquette  (Read 6571 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Newb Taper etiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

I would try to stay around 10' to avoid picking up excess noise with unbalanced cables.  Some people will say up to 15', but for recording most people agree 10' should be max.

Matt

Good point about the noise, although I ran 55 feet of RCA at a show last night with no issues.  If you use good quality shielded cables, you'll have fewer problems with distance.

Dirk

:o
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Newb Taper etiquette
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »

I would try to stay around 10' to avoid picking up excess noise with unbalanced cables.  Some people will say up to 15', but for recording most people agree 10' should be max.

Matt

Good point about the noise, although I ran 55 feet of RCA at a show last night with no issues.  If you use good quality shielded cables, you'll have fewer problems with distance.

Dirk

:o

Yep.  Let me also add that this is not really recommended.  I needed a long run to the center of the room because I was doing a small multichannel recording (6 channels) and I thought it best to stick close to my mics, which were set up blumlein in the middle of the room.  Turned out to be a wise move.  Ordinarily, the long cable runs should be the balanced ones of course; my point was you have to work with what you have. 

You need to find out how close you can get to the board and estimate your cable length from there.  10 feet is ideal for RCAs, but often you need more than that (at least in clubs around here).  You just have to make it work for you somehow!

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com