Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)

(1/86) > >>

TheMetalist:
What do you guys think? Will R-07 be the successor to the popular but discontinued R-05 and M10?

At least it looks great. Available in three colors. Black, white and red.

- Dual Recording function for making two simultaneous recordings—one at full level and another at a lower level to prevent clipping.
- Hybrid Limiter.
- Bluetooth wireless headphone and speaker monitoring.
- Bluetooth remote control with smartphone and supported smartwatches
- One-touch Scene function for instant setup in any recording scenario.
- Rehearsal function for perfect input levels with a single touch.
- Playback and/or recording approximately 15 hours with 2 x LR6/AA alkaline batteries.

Width: 61 mm / 2.40"
Depth: 103 mm / 4.06"
Height: 26 mm / 1.02"
Weight: 150 g / 5.3 oz

Estimated price:  $229.

Ask Audio: Roland Announces R-07 High-Resolution Audio Recorder

B&H: Roland R-07 Portable Audio Recorder

YouTube video: YouTube video: Roland R-07 Overview

heathen:
At first glance I like the look of it.  The internal mics are discreet, and the red color can actually make it look like more of a consumer gadget than a serious recorder.  The wireless functionality further makes this look good for stealthing.

ETA: I see it's available in multiple colors.  All the better.  That way someone who wants black can get it, and someone who wants a color can choose that.  I guess my only concern for stealthing is it looks like it might have a lot of metal in the body...?

heathen:
Size comparison:

R-07: 2.40 x 4.06 x 1.02
R-05: 2.4 x 4.1 x 1
M10: 2.5 x 4.5 x 0.9

Weight comparison:

R-07: 5.3 oz / 150.0 g, including batteries
R-05: 5 oz (140g) [not specified whether this is with batteries]
M10: 6.6 oz (187 g) (With Batteries)

Given the weight of the R-07 I doubt it has a lot of metal to it after all.  I'm really excited about this thing.  Dual record and being able to control it remotely via phone are exactly the things I would want if someone asked me what could be added to the R-05 (though a digital in to use this as a bit bucket would be the icing on the cake).  Now my only question is how the mic/aux in jack will work...will it behave like the R-05 mic in, line in, or some combination of both?

larrysellers:
That red one looks a lot like a phone..perfect. My M10 is now 7 years old, so a replacement will be needed at some point.

Kamen:
Oh, great.

This is certainly a must or me. Both my handhelds - an M10 and an LS-11 -  are discontinued, and I'm weary of putting them at risk. Unless nitial tests reveal something terrible going onwith the R-07's preamps, I'm certainly getting one.

The BT part is interesting. There have been a number of attempts at a remote-controlled handheld recorder lately, and I've found al of them lacking. The Tascams (44wl and 22wl) use WiFi, but they're shitty recorders. The Sony ICD-SX2000 hasa great-looking app, but a lot of flaws as a serious recorder (high noise floor, non-replaceable battery, etc.). The Olympus LS-P2 looks better, but is also noisy and lacks a line-in conection.

So, fingers crossed, the R-07 might just be "it".

K.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version