Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Part for Sony D7 DAT machine  (Read 946 times)

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Part for Sony D7 DAT machine
« on: November 28, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
One of my old time taping buddies has had a pinch roller come lose inside the machine , he got it out but "C" clip that holds it in place is nowhere to be found (hopefully not still in the machine!) , if you have one that's only good for parts let me know, he wants to transfer some old DAT tapes. Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Part for Sony D7 DAT machine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »

If he doesn't get it rolling and needs a hand I'd be willing to transfer some tapes for him. As long as it not a humongous project.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Melanie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:35:19 AM »

If he doesn't get it rolling and needs a hand I'd be willing to transfer some tapes for him. As long as it not a humongous project.
No, it's a humongous project, I told him "worst case scenario pick out 10 most important recordings and I'll start there, 10 at a time." I have two transfer decks, but thanks for offer.
Melanie and Bob

Offline Melanie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:06:12 PM »
$50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204554334905?hash=item2fa06372b9:g:pVwAAOSwOF5lYjbS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAejbVnsDeM214CwfRvjOQq87BpAgIlPnm4lVPdkkEkpOeFnk%2BoEdlSRBXaRlnyCE3rdyzBzCMSl3bZ13pjwwqplbeRX%2FkiAJsnBpBYlWjMlKa8NhhPlkuC%2FgPQklahoHd%2F35c7U6M3eShbClV84eUMj1hlJqG0b9EBLui1n1aDQsQBpdgXiIaoFlqHTUREPi4Yv34SRNAhpacVsH2gAb9QPmpaaUANkzlUvwNItOtuWUAjzqvlW7QaePjtSFSM7KQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_KByv6EYw
Thanks for link, not sure if it's worth it to him, who knows what other problems it may have. Hint; the "c"clip didn't come out when he heard a rattle from the unit, opened the door, turned it upside down and the pinch roller came out. But no "C' clip. jammed into mechanics? shorting out the circuit board? Not something I really want to take apart, Prob. the transfers from me are his best bet.
Melanie and Bob

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 08:45:17 PM »
I have a service person that repairs DATs but honestly the D7 is such a low level consumer product that it would not be worth opening up.

I transfer DATs and cassettes as a side hustle and I use only Tascams, which are professional units and parts are readily available, although it is often the case that I have to use a couple broken ones to cannibalize parts.  I have four Tascams recording to Tascam DR680s, then transfer the SD Card data to a hard drive. 

Edit:  I'd just throw the D7 away if I was giving advice to your friend, and buy a decent professional DAT like a Tascam like a DA20 or DA30.  They can be had for $300-500 off Craigslist and eBay and often are in decent shape, but then again, one could buy it and it could crap out in a month and require servicing, belts, and the like.  Buying 20 year old machines is a crap shoot.  That is why I've got a half dozen and four working machines.  Let me know if you need the guy that services these--he works for the major studios in Hollywood and is very well known in the recording industry.  Its about $150 to open the unit up and service it.  If one is doing a couple hundred DATs, that is a small price to pay.  My DA20 has over 500 DATs under its belt (no pun intended) without service, and I picked it up from a stereophile for $500. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 11:08:58 PM by Scooter123 »
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Melanie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 09:19:20 AM »
I already have a Tascam rack mount unit and a Fostex Pro machine for transfers, but thanks for info. If I had the "C"clip I'd try it for him as the only thing to open to replace pinch roller and "C" clip is to remove the door which is s a simple matter and does not require tape path alighnment.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 09:22:11 AM by Melanie »
Melanie and Bob

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 03:06:46 PM »
I have a service person that repairs DATs but honestly the D7 is such a low level consumer product that it would not be worth opening up.

I transfer DATs and cassettes as a side hustle and I use only Tascams, which are professional units and parts are readily available, although it is often the case that I have to use a couple broken ones to cannibalize parts.  I have four Tascams recording to Tascam DR680s, then transfer the SD Card data to a hard drive. 

Edit:  I'd just throw the D7 away if I was giving advice to your friend, and buy a decent professional DAT like a Tascam like a DA20 or DA30.  They can be had for $300-500 off Craigslist and eBay and often are in decent shape, but then again, one could buy it and it could crap out in a month and require servicing, belts, and the like.  Buying 20 year old machines is a crap shoot.  That is why I've got a half dozen and four working machines.  Let me know if you need the guy that services these--he works for the major studios in Hollywood and is very well known in the recording industry.  Its about $150 to open the unit up and service it.  If one is doing a couple hundred DATs, that is a small price to pay.  My DA20 has over 500 DATs under its belt (no pun intended) without service, and I picked it up from a stereophile for $500.

You're statement of the Sony TCD-D7 being a piece of junk it's unequivocally incorrect. The Walkman D7 DAT was a wonderful portable DAT deck and for those who actually owned one ... it was a workhorse. Is there better units to do mass transfers with?  Sure, in every link of a mastering chain there is upgrades, but for what it was designed for, a portable DAT recorder ... it was a damn good machine. Lets see you record a show with a Tascam DA-20 or DA-30.  Lol.  Good luck with that.  When you think of all the amazing shows that have been captured with a Sony D7 ... it's astounding. Comparing a portable unit with a rack mounted unit is asinine to say the least.

Just showing the other side of the coin.

Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 04:37:13 PM »
For transcribing hundreds of DATs in a commercial environment, it is useless. 

No, I'm not taking a DA20 into a show.

Actually, I'm not taking any DATs to shows anymore.  Maybe you are.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com