Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Decrease Volume Clapping Increase Volume Music  (Read 5495 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Decrease Volume Clapping Increase Volume Music
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
My method is crude and amateurish, admittedly.

Usual situation: 007 recordings where the crowd/applause is going to be louder than the music. I set the levels where I want them during the musical passages.

Then, in post,  I just draw a few volume envelopes between songs/applause in Audacity to squash the crowd and then amplify/normalize.

I can hear the caveman approach to this problem but have ZERO problem. I want to hear music, not a natural-sounding, crowd...

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 03:56:42 PM »
Depending on how much time I want to spend working on clapping has a definite bearing on how I go about this. That said, personally I find a noticeable volume change or an unnatural compression just as disturbing to my recording so I cannot go that route. I have tried many solutions over the years, but while there is more than one way to go, it seems all of them take more time that I really want to spend these days to get it right, especially if I have recordings piling up. Usually I play with the volume and go in stages with a few things I have learned from years of doing this, but recently it dawned on me while listening, that clapping was a harsh treble sound, so I have been playing with the EQ in Soundforge and happened on a setting that allows me to reduce volume and harshness in the clapping sections and "warming up" the clapping makes it far less disturbing. I saved the settings that I liked and have been going with that and am pretty happy with the results. My beginning and endpoints are still important for the best results, but it appears that my clapping can now be somewhat louder than what I used to deem acceptable, if it is not harsh and as a result it seems quieter. The more I use this method the more I may decide to tweak or see how far I can push that envelope with out it being noticed, but I like the approach and throw it out there for others to think about trying.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »
splined curve envelope works great in 24 bit. I record to the loudest thing, that's the applause.  I don't want anything to brickwall, so I try to get that level just under the red lights. Post, I restrict the applause and amplify the music down 30% and up 30% respectively. I can't hear any weird things as a result of that, but 35 or 40% change begins to be something noticeable. YMMV, but some of the classical, vocal and chamber music recordings I've done sound pretty good

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 05:33:49 AM »
I was going through my NYCH recording and using the spectral repair tool and the lasso

new to this software can you recommend a tutorial on this technique

been using soundforge forever but new to the izotope interface
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
I was going through my NYCH recording and using the spectral repair tool and the lasso

new to this software can you recommend a tutorial on this technique

been using soundforge forever but new to the izotope interface

Using the Decrackle module in RX is so much easier, and produces excellent results in all situations I've tried.  Play around with the various settings, but I always like the results starting with the Vinyl / Random presets.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »
have used the "Click Removal" tool in Audacity at the end portions of songs (when applause is worst, and the music has pretty much ended or trailed off) with no noticeable effect on the music itself...occasionally it misses a few at the settings I use, but that's usually the person who is really smacking their hands nearby, making for wider peaks...which are then reduced individually post click removal.

never used it across each channel for the whole file, as my gut tells me the music would suffer.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com