Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed repairing AT8410a shock mount...  (Read 2707 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Help needed repairing AT8410a shock mount...
« on: June 07, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
Hey Gang,

One of my shocks has come loose at the point where the circular mount part meets the perpendicular stand part.  I've taken the thing apart and can't find any screws or whatnot that I can tighten to hold it together.

Duct tape will hold it sufficiently, but it's a short term fix, for sure.

Anyone have experience with this?  I'm thinking a weld or solder might be the only way to fix it.  Or maybe superglue...   :-\
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
Re: Help needed repairing AT8410a shock mount...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »
I hope it's salvagable... but if it's not and a used pair comes up in the YS, I believe TonyB needs just one of them too. :D

edit: after reading Team UMW, it seems you've already started down a same or similar road. 8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:13:01 PM by stejampzy »
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Govt Mule

• Taperssection Member
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
Hey Gang,

One of my shocks has come loose at the point where the circular mount part meets the perpendicular stand part.  I've taken the thing apart and can't find any screws or whatnot that I can tighten to hold it together.

Duct tape will hold it sufficiently, but it's a short term fix, for sure.

Anyone have experience with this?  I'm thinking a weld or solder might be the only way to fix it.  Or maybe superglue...   :-\

If I recall correctly, there are some small screws around the circular part that, when removed, seperate the thin metal band (with the clips for the elastic cord) from the outer circular metal piece.  Once seperated, the screw head for the stand part can be accessed.

Worth a try?

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »
+T's all around - thanks for the help!

Steve, Tony B and I are already in on a pair.  I knew he needed one and figured I'd grab the extra as a back up to help him out.  Damn good thing I did.

But in the meantime, I still want to fix the one I've got because it's ridiculous that it's broken where it's broken.  Hence...

If I recall correctly, there are some small screws around the circular part that, when removed, seperate the thin metal band (with the clips for the elastic cord) from the outer circular metal piece.  Once seperated, the screw head for the stand part can be accessed.

Worth a try?

Most definitely worth a try.  I figured there HAD to be a way to access that part.  As soon as I pick up my spare from Tony B (next Wednesday, I think) I'll disassemble the broken one and see what works.  I'll report back either way.  If successful, I think it might need to be a stickied topic somewhere in this part of the forum.  I'll talk to Skalinder about that depending on my results.

Again, thanks guys!!!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
If you remove the large screw w/ the big standard slot(silver) that holds the 5/8 adapter, remember the squence of parts inside there.  Now inside the cavity that goes to the big outer ring there is a #2 phillips screw.  Unscrew it, place a thin coat of JB Weld between the ring and base, replace #2 phillips srew, Re-assemble the 5/8 adapter and the part you just JB welded together.  confusing enough, I don't have one on me at the moment.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:27:49 PM »
Thanks Fozzy - +T!  That's the second JB Weld recommendation to boot!   8)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
Thanks Fozzy - +T!  That's the second JB Weld recommendation to boot!   8)

Ditto i had the same prob. JBW did the trick.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com