Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best (stealthy) way to power this setup?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Best (stealthy) way to power this setup?
« on: June 14, 2004, 05:57:49 AM »
So i'm gradually putting together a new rig which I hope will look like this when it's finished:

AT853Rx->PS-2->AD-20->JB3

the first question I have is, what do you figure is the best semi-low profile way to stealth this is?  I don't really mean getting through intense security or anything, but basically taping in a place where there's no section, and I'm probably the only taper (I tape mostly jazz and such).  I'm kinda waffling between the batt-pack and just picking up some rechargable 9v batteries.  Any opinions?

Also, will I need attenuators somewhere in here?

Thanks for helping a semi-noob!

Blane
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best (stealthy) way to power this setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 06:35:06 AM »
So i'm gradually putting together a new rig which I hope will look like this when it's finished:

the first question I have is, what do you figure is the best semi-low profile way to stealth this is?  I don't really mean getting through intense security or anything, but basically taping in a place where there's no section, and I'm probably the only taper (I tape mostly jazz and such).  I'm kinda waffling between the batt-pack and just picking up some rechargable 9v batteries.  Any opinions?

Blane
what do you need to power longer?  All of those items run off their own battery power.  the PS-2 and AD-20 will run long enough, just change out the batteries when necessary.  The JB3 will run for a long time from the 2 internals.  I guess my question is what do you need to power longer?

ALso, you might need to use an attenuator between the PS-2 and the AD-20.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 06:56:21 AM »
thanks for the reply.  Basically I'm just wondering whether the rechargable 9v is a good option for these 2 items (ps-2, ad20).  I haven't used them yet, but I don't want to be dealing with batteries crapping out 1/2 way through a show.  At the same time, the big external batt packs look like a lot of additional bulk when you're trying to run a minimal setup.  Hope that's clear.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 07:08:01 AM »

Blane
what do you need to power longer?  All of those items run off their own battery power.  the PS-2 and AD-20 will run long enough, just change out the batteries when necessary.  The JB3 will run for a long time from the 2 internals.  I guess my question is what do you need to power longer?

ALso, you might need to use an attenuator between the PS-2 and the AD-20.

If he were recording metal bands then he might,  but otherwise he should be fine...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 07:15:30 AM »
thanks for the reply.  Basically I'm just wondering whether the rechargable 9v is a good option for these 2 items (ps-2, ad20).  I haven't used them yet, but I don't want to be dealing with batteries crapping out 1/2 way through a show.  At the same time, the big external batt packs look like a lot of additional bulk when you're trying to run a minimal setup.  Hope that's clear.

I'm not sure about the PS-2, but I'm sure the Ad-20 will run atleast 4.5 hours off a 9V.  I don't think anyone plays for over 4 hours straight so I think there'll be time to switch batteries.  Rechargables are a great way to go for this setup.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:13:19 AM »
thanks for the help guys!! Final question...  if you're running the PS-2 for power, do the AT853Rx still require the AT-8533x power modules, or can you plug the xlr's directly into the ps-2?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 08:22:32 AM »
thanks for the help guys!! Final question...  if you're running the PS-2 for power, do the AT853Rx still require the AT-8533x power modules, or can you plug the xlr's directly into the ps-2?

The AT853Rx mics should have the AT8533x modules hardwired onto the end

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 08:34:04 AM »

Yeah, I thought so, but since I haven't actually bought them, I wasn't sure.  Hard to tell from the product photos.  I'll probably go ahead and buy them today.  Just need to track down a used PS-2 now!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 08:39:23 AM »
have fun!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 11:28:17 AM »

Why have 3 power sources for these mics?  If you are using the PS-2, then the AT8533X modules would not be needed.  Correct? PS-2 should power them fine.  Plus having the AT8533X modules, would make stealthing awfuly bulky.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »

Why have 3 power sources for these mics?  If you are using the PS-2, then the AT8533X modules would not be needed.  Correct? PS-2 should power them fine.  Plus having the AT8533X modules, would make stealthing awfuly bulky.

at8533(x) alone does not provide any type of power to the mics. the phantom voltage is supplied by the ps-2.  you can not power the AT mics (831, 853, 933/43) without them.

i just got off the phone with an AT tech discussing the guts of these modules ad nauseum!

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com