Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clippy with Rode Wireless Go For Crowd Mic  (Read 575 times)

Offline VibrationOfLife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Clippy with Rode Wireless Go For Crowd Mic
« on: March 12, 2024, 08:23:30 AM »
Seems to me that the above combo, a single clippy plugged into a Rode wireless transmitter might work well for an extremely small portable wireless crowd mic to remotely mix into a board feed for a matrix recording.  Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or has someone done this and have feedback?  I'd like to place the mic within eye shot in places where it's not possible to run cables from the mixer.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clippy with Rode Wireless Go For Crowd Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 11:10:28 AM »

Onstage position, or further away?

You'll need to post-process some delay if your mic is further than about 20 feet away..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline VibrationOfLife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 11:33:20 AM »
I was thinking it could be rather flexible in distance.  I don't think it would be too hard to match up the tracks afterwards, no?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 01:43:28 PM »

Excuse me I presumed you were matrixing on-the-fly

Carry on, make great tapes

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 05:23:55 PM »
Blaze on and figure it out for others to follow.  Not many have incorporated their own wireless mics, although recording wireless feeds not their own is relatively common.  There will be teething pains.

I'd want two, spaced apart to get stereo room/ambience/audience.   The SBD may or may not be mono, but either way, a good wide stereo ambiance is going to sound best.

There will be some delay due to the wireless transmission, but there is likely to be more delay from the time it takes for the sound to travel through the air from PA the recording position.  Best to use a single four channel recorder and shift track position or delay afterward to sync with the SBD.  Using two 2-ch recorders is less optimal for sync'ing afterward, but easier in regards to cabling before, during and immediately after recording.. but only because the two separate recorders needn't be co-located.   However since the intent is to eliminate the wires that reasoning becomes less compelling.  Go with a 4 channel recording device.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:26:57 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline VibrationOfLife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 10:55:56 PM »
I will give it the Blaze On! test and report back.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 12:21:53 AM »
I was thinking it could be rather flexible in distance.  I don't think it would be too hard to match up the tracks afterwards, no?

Relative to any other matrix, or in general? Sometimes syncing is rightful pain when the clocks in the two sources aren't the same and there's no definite loud noise to sync the tracks on both ends.

Offline VibrationOfLife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 11:42:12 AM »

Relative to any other matrix, or in general? Sometimes syncing is rightful pain when the clocks in the two sources aren't the same and there's no definite loud noise to sync the tracks on both ends.

It's all going in the same device at the same time.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 02:21:48 PM »
It's all going in the same device at the same time.
Speed of sound is approx 1030-1070 feet per second.
If the room mic is not physically in the same location as the stage mics there will be some delay.
This delay can be compensated for in post production.
If the room mic moves during the proceedings (in a manner which would affect this distance), then new sync should be established for each location.
There may also be some transmission delay from the Bluetooth. Hopefully that is a fixed amount.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 10:25:22 AM »
Speed of sound is approx 1030-1070 feet per second.

For anyone challenged by the conversion, this equates to approximately 1 millisecond per foot.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline VibrationOfLife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 09:18:41 PM »
Good bot.

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 11:16:29 AM »

I did something like this last year for shits and giggles when I bought a pair of the Movo wireless mics for a video series I was doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BL1WN73C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged the stereo mini output of the receiver into my recorder. It worked at low volume shows from a distance but wasn't suitable for loud bass heavy music like I often record. The SPL handling was low and the bass response was tailored for speech pickup. Bluegrass at a distance worked surprisingly well after EQ but indoor jam band at "I don't need my earplugs yet" volume was a distorted mess.

If the mics themselves are suitable the rest of the hurdles are easy to overcome in post production. I have some doubts about the musicality of mics that are created for "content creators" but I've only tried one inexpensive brand.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com