Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones for portable recorder  (Read 10617 times)

Offline rolandr05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Headphones for portable recorder
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Firstly hello to everyone and thanks for helpful information.

I did a long search on these forums looking for a portable recorder and finally I chose the Roland R-05.
I just ordered it and I hope I won't regret it Lol.

Now I'm looking for the right (or near) headphones and I'm struggling a bit because there're too many models and brands also I would like to hear from more experienced users.
My budget is around $100 and headphones must be closed and easy to carry around.
I looked at the Sennheiser PX 200II but then I found negative feedback regarding its not natural sound performances so any other suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Headphones for portable recorder
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Firstly hello to everyone and thanks for helpful information.

I did a long search on these forums looking for a portable recorder and finally I chose the Roland R-05.
I just ordered it and I hope I won't regret it Lol.

Now I'm looking for the right (or near) headphones and I'm struggling a bit because there're too many models and brands also I would like to hear from more experienced users.
My budget is around $100 and headphones must be closed and easy to carry around.
I looked at the Sennheiser PX 200II but then I found negative feedback regarding its not natural sound performances so any other suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The AT MTH-50's are very well liked in these parts for live recording as well as playback. They are a little more than your budget

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

www.headphone.com is a good site

www.head-fi.org is a good forum for info as well.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
+1 for at m50s. Listening to mine now. If you csn't swing that Sony 7506 headphones are very common  for recordists and FOH engineers. They go for 100
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
Unless you specifically want headphones you might look at Shure SE215 earphones. I've been very happy with mine for recording because they are the best isolation I've found so far and seem fairly flat in their response. No hyper-bass. Also they are very light and small so they aren't hard to tote around.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
Not cheap, but when you want high isolation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283347-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_HN_7506_High_Noise_Isolating.html

I started with some Sennheiser 280 Pros which are decent headphones but not for what I was doing so I tried some of these (http://www.extremeheadphones.com/products/ex-29-headphones) and they were better isolation but not as good sound-wise. The SE215's did the trick. I can hear what I'm mixing now! And at a lower volume than the band. They were only about $100. I like them so much that I'm thinking of upgrading to the SE315's. The drawback is that if someone speaks to me I can't hear them. I find them fairly comfortable too.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
The AT MTH-50's are very well liked in these parts for live recording as well as playback. They are a little more than your budget
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php
www.headphone.com is a good site
www.head-fi.org is a good forum for info as well.
Thanks for help, I've read very good feedback regarding these headphones but I think they're a bit big to carry around (for my personal like) plus they're well over my initial $80 (before this thread) budget.  ;D
However, I'll keep the AT MTH-50 in mind in case I'll change my budget and like limit.

+1 for at m50s. Listening to mine now. If you csn't swing that Sony 7506 headphones are very common  for recordists and FOH engineers. They go for 100
Thanks ScoobieKW as a bove, the Sony 7506 also have good reputation (for the price) and they are even cheaper but I would like something smaller.
Thanks for help.

Unless you specifically want headphones you might look at Shure SE215 earphones.
Unfortunately I've a personal problem with the earphones, my ears simply reject them out also I feel quite uncomfortable.
Thanks for help.

Not cheap, but when you want high isolation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283347-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_HN_7506_High_Noise_Isolating.html
No thanks they're totally out of my likes  :D

I started with some Sennheiser 280 Pros which are decent headphones, I like them so much that I'm thinking of upgrading to the SE315's. The drawback is that if someone speaks to me I can't hear them. I find them fairly comfortable too.
No sorry as a bove I need headphones.
Thanks for help.

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:51:46 AM »
I checked the Sony MDR-nc40 from a local shop they sell for $190 LOL  ;D while on eBay is around $55 +10 for the case including delivery  :o
I like the size and style because they are nearly pocketable but I don't like the noise cancelling gadget.

Does anyone know something similar product without useless gadgets and at reasonable price?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
I checked the Sony MDR-nc40 from a local shop they sell for $190 LOL  ;D while on eBay is around $55 +10 for the case including delivery  :o
I like the size and style because they are nearly pocketable but I don't like the noise cancelling gadget.

Does anyone know something similar product without useless gadgets and at reasonable price?

I don't know the MDR-nc40's but I'm guessing that they don't sound that great.

The Sony MDR-7506's sound pretty good. Not worth $100 by any means, but well worth the $40-$50 shipped that you can snag a new pair on E-Bay for.

I much prefer the ATH-M50's for music listening-well worth the price difference to me (currently they are available on E-Bay for as low as $121 shipped). However if you need phones only for monitoring your live recordings, the 7506 might serve you just about as well and are much cheaper.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
I don't know the MDR-nc40's but I'm guessing that they don't sound that great.

The Sony MDR-7506's sound pretty good. Not worth $100 by any means, but well worth the $40-$50 shipped that you can snag a new pair on E-Bay for.

I much prefer the ATH-M50's for music listening-well worth the price difference to me (currently they are available on E-Bay for as low as $121 shipped). However if you need phones only for monitoring your live recordings, the 7506 might serve you just about as well and are much cheaper.
I'll mainly do outdoor ambient and folk band recording so size is very important for me and even if I loose a bit of quality, that isn't a big problem because I'll listen and edit the audio on computer anyways.

The driver size has to be no more than 40mm, what about these 2 headphones Audio-Technica ATH-ES55 or SoundMAGIC P30?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
The driver size has to be no more than 40mm, what about these 2 headphones Audio-Technica ATH-ES55 or SoundMAGIC P30?

Google would have told you that these phones have 40mm drivers as do the Sony MDR-7506's. The 7506's are used by a number of us and I haven't heard much talk about the other 2, so I'd go with a known quantity. The 7506's are comfortable and I forget about them when using them while cutting my lawn, so I don't think size is a problem. To each his own, but I've stopped buying equipment unless I've read a lot of positive things about it. I was an early adopter of a Zoom H4 (before I knew of Taperssection) and I won't do that any more.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:49:02 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
I strongly urge you to take the advice above and look at head-fi.org . They are dedicated headphone geeks and can tell you a lot about virtually any model with an easy search.  Like this on the P30:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/559324/review-soundmagic-e10-e30-eh11-and-p30-new-magic

You need to be a little clearer about what you require. They have to be over-the-ear, understood, which rules out the best field-recording solution: IEMs, inner ear monitors, the little earplug phones like the Shure SE series. But you do want some degree of isolation, right?  You're not going to get that without a certain size. Phones that sit outside but are smaller than your ears won't give you isolation, and they'll probably leak sound and annoy your neighbors at a quiet folky show.

By the way, you also want to make sure there's no delay between input and output on your R-05 recorder. If there is,  trying to record while wearing phones is going to give you a very distressing phased sound.

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
Google would have told you that these phones have 40mm drivers as do the Sony MDR-7506's
You're right and I also checked it but at that time I was sleeping a bit  :laugh:

The 7506's are used by a number of us and I haven't heard much talk about the other 2, so I'd go with a known quantity. The 7506's are comfortable and I forget about them when using them while cutting my lawn, so I don't think size is a problem.
Yes I've read very good feedback about the 7506 but portability is very important for me, I need a foldable headphone and easy to carry otherwise I wouldn't bring it with me.

To each his own, but I've stopped buying equipment unless I've read a lot of positive things about it. I was an early adopter of a Zoom H4 (before I knew of Taperssection) and I won't do that any more.
I understand, I also before purchasing (still waiting for delivery) the Roland R-05 did a lot of research because I wanted to be sure not to buy something I wouldn't be happy about.
And as I said Taperssection has helped me a lot on this.

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:49 AM »
I strongly urge you to take the advice above and look at head-fi.org . They are dedicated headphone geeks and can tell you a lot about virtually any model with an easy search.  Like this on the P30:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559324/review-soundmagic-e10-e30-eh11-and-p30-new-magic
You need to be a little clearer about what you require. They have to be over-the-ear, understood, which rules out the best field-recording solution: IEMs, inner ear monitors, the little earplug phones like the Shure SE series. But you do want some degree of isolation, right?  You're not going to get that without a certain size. Phones that sit outside but are smaller than your ears won't give you isolation, and they'll probably leak sound and annoy your neighbors at a quiet folky show.
I know that smaller pads means noise in or sound out of them also I won't pull up the volume too much anyways, what I need is to check if I'm recording correctly and to have a good understanding of its quality.

By the way, you also want to make sure there's no delay between input and output on your R-05 recorder. If there is,  trying to record while wearing phones is going to give you a very distressing phased sound.
Could you please explain on this? Does it mean that low quality headphones will delay the output?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 07:55:08 AM »

Could you please explain on this? Does it mean that low quality headphones will delay the output?

No, he said that some recorders' headphone outputs have a slight delay and was advising you to find out if your R-05 is one of these.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com