Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Klamping Kwestion  (Read 5926 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Klamping Kwestion
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
So I have a show coming up in a couple months (Railroad Earth at the Goodyear Theater in Akron, OH) and the best spot looks the the front of the balcony. There is, course, a rail, so once payday comes around I'm getting the Windtech C-clamp, which others have recommended, but my real question is this: What about shock mounts? I'm worried that vibrations will go through the rail and affect my mics. I'm using Beyerdynamic MCE-86II shotguns, which are very sensitive to vibrations. Is vibration much of a problem with rail-clamping? I've been taping for nearly 20 years and I've never clamped.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Klamping Kwestion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »
Make sure the Windtech C-clamp opens up wide enough for that railing.  I typically use a Superclamp-style clamp for railings which is more substantial and positive-griping.

Vibration through the rail all depends on the situation.  It may or may not be a problem and may or may not be necessary.  Good to shock-mount if you can, but don't sweat it if not and listen to determine if its a problem which you'll need to address moving forward.

If suspending the mics over folks below, be sure to use a safety-cable around the railing to prevent a fall if the clamp slips or the rig collapses.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:29:35 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Quick answer is the Super Clamp like Gut suggested.

If you need more to chew on start here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151303.0

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
Yes to shockmounts!

In mid-december, I recorded a concert in this tiny concert space that measured likely 12' wide from the stage, and maybe 30' wide across the stage front (the stage was not that wide, just the room width).
Becuase the room was so small, I've never been allowed to record in there, until that mid-december show. For that one, I went in and clamped my binaural head to this rear of hall vertical wooden post.  I knew what the post was, a faux post wooden cover over seismic retro-fitting mods, done to meet cal earthquake standards for masonry walls/buildings.
I figured this post was as solid as anything could ever be. So I clamped to it. I recorded the concert, and it all seemed to have gone off without issue.

In walking back to my truck, I passed a temprary ice skating rink, and knew Sarge would want to go skate.  So, the next morning, she has her skates ready, and I grabbed the binaural head tracks, and we went back to this same area of old town that I'd recorded in; she went skating, and I went to a bench, clamped on the cans, and I hit play.  The binaural recording brought me immediately back to the concert, and I listened to it in its entirety.  Sarge finishes skating, we go home. 
The day plays out, and, after dinner, I put the cans back on, and have another listen.
HOLY CRAP!! WTF?!i!?  In this playback, I was being shaken like a little rag doll, having my head battered around like a punching bag.  It literally felt like a giant had shaken me by my shoulders so hard that I was lefft stupefied. I popped the cans off, and was elft wondering.
So, i went into deeply critical listening mode, and, thought I'd identified the problem as being vibrations from the Interstae-15 freeway, and semi big rigs rooling down the highway, as there is a lot of construction going on in that area of town to reduce traffic bottlenecks. I was satisfied with my conclusion, and I used HPF to roll off the subsonics.
My conclusion was that the binaural recording was sympathetic to the sound of the interstate highway, and being in that environment had a bit of a cancellation thing going on, and I didn't recognize the issue.

Sarge wanted to go back to the skate rink a couple of days later.  So, we went, and, this time, I roamed back into old town district, and walked across the front of the theater, and then beyond it.
OK,... It had been ten years since my last recordings in this theater, and I had no idea that a mere half block from it was a new bridge that crossed the wash that divided town from a large open area that they wanted to develop. So I thought I'd walk over there to see what had been done.  I got out to mid-bridge, and a small toyota-type pickup came across the bridge.  That little pickup truck scared the crap out of me, as I'd experienced the same dread feeling when listening to the binaural recording.  That bridge was shaking the hell out of the downtown historic district at a sub-sonic level.  It shook me so hard that I felt like one of the vibrating table football games where the shaking table moves the players.  I quickly got off the bridge, and, the shaking feeling stopped. So, I went back onto the bridge, and waited for another vehicle; this time a small communter jelly bean thing came rolling over the bridge,... same result; vibrating table football player.
That bridge shook the ground so hard that it travelled up through that seismic retrofitting column, and shook Gude Head, and introduced intense subsonic vibrations into the String Quartet recording.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:52:36 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »
Another vote for using shock mounts.  People may bang their hands/feet on railings, intentionally or not.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
Another vote for using shock mounts.  People may bang their hands/feet on railings, intentionally or not.

yep
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »
How does this look:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824360-REG/impact_cc_106r_super_clamp_with_ratchet.html

But then what do I get to adapt it to my t-bar?
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
I guess it would help if I read that clamping thread.  :-[
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »
It would really help if Photobucket hadn't blocked all the photos too...

Super Clamp should do it...usually there is an extension pole attached to that brass stud and then at opposite end of extension pole adapters to the microphone T-Bar...if it is a 5/8 microphone thread you will need what ever is at the end of the extension bar (1/4 20 or 3/8 16) to the 5/8 microphone thread.

This is my setup...Lowel Mini Pole with photo stand 5/8 stud...Manfrotto adapter...3/8" threaded Stud...Vark T-Bar...Shure Doughnut Shock mounts and stereo bars

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
It would really help if Photobucket hadn't blocked all the photos too...

Super Clamp should do it...usually there is an extension pole attached to that brass stud and then at opposite end of extension pole adapters to the microphone T-Bar...if it is a 5/8 microphone thread you will need what ever is at the end of the extension bar (1/4 20 or 3/8 16) to the 5/8 microphone thread.

This is my setup...Lowel Mini Pole with photo stand 5/8 stud...Manfrotto adapter...3/8" threaded Stud...Vark T-Bar...Shure Doughnut Shock mounts and stereo bars

Thanks! I started using postimage for linking pictures since PhotoBucket got a bug up its ass. I'm looking at the Impact Super Clamp, then there's a threaded adapter I found that should fit onto it. I thought about getting a Matthellini-type clamp, and clamping my original choice to that, but that seems unnecessarily expensive. Hopefully this will work. I've been reading through that other thread... damn!
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm ordering on payday. I have the K&M mic bar, though I'm getting a gooseneck rather than a rigid bar for better positioning. I have a few safeties that were part of my severance package from my last job.  ;)  I've used them a couple times before.

- Lawrence Krauss

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »
Keep an open mind with clamps.

top pic: Jorgensen wood clamp, for wider objects, like posts. ENd of clamp bar thru-drilled for 3/8-16 bolt.
bottom pic: Spring clamp fitted with 3/8-16 stanchion and 3/8-16 all-thread extension covered in heat shrink.

and, adding in post,....
this is how I clamped to a clamp (third and fourth pic)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:34:34 PM by Moke »

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
I'm getting a gooseneck rather than a rigid bar for better positioning.

Make sure the one you get is stiff enough for the weight you'll put on it.  I had a pair of spaced omnis on a Manfrotto 154B (which is a pretty substantial piece of hardware) on a gooseneck once and watched them slowly droop further and further as the show went on.  Everything was safety cabled, so I wasn't worried about my mics (or the people under them), but I learned my lesson about cheap goosenecks...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 01:42:04 AM »
Yes to shock mounts!

It shook me so hard that I felt like one of the vibrating table football games where the shaking table moves the players.  I quickly got off the bridge, and, the shaking feeling stopped. So, I went back onto the bridge, and waited for another vehicle; this time a small communter jelly bean thing came rolling over the bridge,... same result; vibrating table football player.

ELECTRIC FOOTBALL?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Football

yep
YEP very much.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com