Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I should know better  (Read 2173 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
I should know better
« on: March 26, 2005, 01:24:27 PM »
I just got finished  moving things around in my home theater/playback.  I pulled everything apart and took the compenents out of the cabinet, wiped them down, and put it all back together.

Before, my interconnects were intertwined with power cables.  I think you guys know the drill....sometimes after a while you can get quite a nest of cables back there!  Anyway, I payed special attention to keeping power and audio cables separate and if they have to cross each other made all crossings at 90 degrees.

I don't know if I'm imagining it or not but it makes an audible difference.  Soudstage seems broader. The overall sound is more crisp and articulate.

I do this all the time at work when running wire.....we never let any low voltage wire get near power for fear of induced noise.  I feel like a maroon. :P
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
Re: I should know better
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
it must be the beard! :P ;D

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 04:40:07 PM »
it must be the beard! :P ;D

:P

No full beard at the moment....just goatee+mustache.  :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 06:49:43 AM »
Funny you mention that...  I just did the same last weekend in my office rig and all be damned if it didn't help things!  hehe  after awhile, if you switch gear as much as I do, you definitely develop a bit of a rat's nest.  Good to clean it up. 

I used velcro cabe ties.  I have never tried them before, and boy was I missing out.  Now I need to go back and do it to the big rig.  +T for bringing it up!

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 07:13:20 AM »
Funny you mention that...  I just did the same last weekend in my office rig and all be damned if it didn't help things!  hehe  after awhile, if you switch gear as much as I do, you definitely develop a bit of a rat's nest.  Good to clean it up. 

I used velcro cabe ties.  I have never tried them before, and boy was I missing out.  Now I need to go back and do it to the big rig.  +T for bringing it up!

Glad I'm not the only one that falls victom to the cable-rats-nest syndrome.  ;D   I wish I had gotten some velcro ties.....next time!  :P

+T

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:04:25 PM »
This can definitely make a difference, and not just with your home audio.  When your wiring up a stage one thing that I was always taught was that if you have to cross an AC line with a mic cable, make sure to do it at 90 degrees so that the least amount of surface area is touching, and that they should NEVER ever run touching side by side.  This can introduce all kinds of buzzes and hums if you dont have clean power.  Good observation +T.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com