Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samsung reband of Toshiba 4960  (Read 2442 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Samsung reband of Toshiba 4960
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:56:49 AM »
So I've had this unit since last January.  It plays SACDs fine, but I can't get DVD-A to work.  I have it set on bitstream, do I need to switch it to PCM?  I bought a Coltrane DVD-A and it says its playing, but no sound.  I have it running optically into my reciever.  Also, I burned a DVD+R using scott browns iso maker, and nero.  It won't play.  Do I need to use a DVD-r? 
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Samsung reband of Toshiba 4960
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:19 AM »
I think you have to set it to PCM. I had that player but sold it because I could not get it to play dvd-a's gaplessly. I always use DVD-Rs, so I'm not sure about that. The manual should list disc compatibility. Howevewr, my friend has an old Toshiba that says it will play dvd-a's but not dvd-r's - well it plays dvd-r's back no problem!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:56:23 AM »
you need to have it set to PCM, but the earlier comment that it wont play dvd-a's gapless is why I got rid of mine

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:18:57 AM »
the newer basic sony dvd players will play any type of disc and decode DTS and do progressive scan all for $70 or less.  remember when a CHEAP dvd player was $200?  technology has no lasting value now (unless it's music gear).
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 08:21:42 AM »
the newer basic sony dvd players will play any type of disc and decode DTS and do progressive scan all for $70 or less.  remember when a CHEAP dvd player was $200?  technology has no lasting value now (unless it's music gear).

sony does not support dvd-a

it is a competing technology with their format SACD

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 08:29:36 AM »
So I've had this unit since last January.  It plays SACDs fine, but I can't get DVD-A to work.  I have it set on bitstream, do I need to switch it to PCM?  I bought a Coltrane DVD-A and it says its playing, but no sound.  I have it running optically into my reciever.  Also, I burned a DVD+R using scott browns iso maker, and nero.  It won't play.  Do I need to use a DVD-r? 

Well... I asked at one point, and walked away with the distinct impression that DVD-A won't work via optical output.  However, I use optical output on my 4960 for DVD-A, and it works fine.  I'd suggest hooking up an analog connection as well, and see if that works.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 08:37:22 AM »

Well... I asked at one point, and walked away with the distinct impression that DVD-A won't work via optical output.  However, I use optical output on my 4960 for DVD-A, and it works fine.  I'd suggest hooking up an analog connection as well, and see if that works.

commercial DVD-As didnt work over digi outputs for me, but ones that I authored did, albeit with gaps

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:41:49 AM »

commercial DVD-As didnt work over digi outputs for me, but ones that I authored did, albeit with gaps

Sorry, I should be more clear - I haven't tried commercial DVD-As, only ones that I've authored.  It they have gaps as well.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »
So, just to clarify...there are many different issues.  LOL

The DVD I put in last night, just said stop (it was the scottbrown>nero one).  Reburn?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com