Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

cat 5 speaker cable

(1/3) > >>

1st set only:
anyone ever try it? looks good to me, when we close on the house in feb. I think Im gonna wire it for sound with this stuff

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/star.html

jpschust:
there's been a lot of talk about this on a number of sites, however the thing im most worried about is shielding.  the other thing to be concerned with when you are working this with a house is where the nails go.  i am building snakes for someone right now whose sub-contractors drove nails straight through their snakes.

BCostigan:
I'd be far more worried about contactors driving nails through electrical wires :P.   Most contractors pay special care around wires and they should also be affixed to the center of the stud.  If the wires are where they are supposed to be the fasteners being used won't touch them.

I just took a quick look and it looks like people are using cat 5 phone/data wire for speakers????   Why not just run some 16ga speaker wire when building??  My sister and bro in law just re modeled their kitchen/living room and while the walls were open I ran speaker wire.

scervin:
I'm with jonny on the shielding issues.  Also you might want to check to see what code is for wired surrounds in your area.  Some townships require wire rated for inwall installation.....

BCostigan:
I am apprenticing as an electrician and wonder why there would be any "code" for wiring audio cables?  They would fall into the "low voltage" category (24v or less) am I correct?   I have yet to see any inspecter get too concearned about low voltage wires as they pose very little fire risk.

If you can point me to some kind of code somewhere about this I'd appreciate it!!  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version