Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

new pre...woohoo!

(1/2) > >>

Brian Skalinder:
Alright, Tim's post about his new DAC motivated me to write this up.

My brand new Audio Experience Symphonies tube preamp arrived yesterday from Y-S Audio, picked up new via Ebay for $400 including shipping from Hong Kong.  As soon as I got home I opened up the Symphonies, put in the one tube they leave out of the innards during shipping, yanked out my old Rotel RTC-950AX preamp/tuner, and fired up the Symphonies.

COMPLETELY different sound.  Must've listened for a good 2-3 hours last night.  While still not burned in, I could easily tell how much I preferred the Symphonies to the RTC-950AX.  Relative to the RTC-950AX, the Symponies to my ears provides:
[*]Far superior detail across the range.  I'm hearing details I've never heard before - much smoother attack, lengthier decay, much broader dynamics both at the micro and macro level.
[*] Better bass.  My sub has absolutely come alive, delivering richer, deeper, meatier lows with greater definition than ever before.  The crossover between speakers and sub seems more integrated, too - not sure how to account for that, but my ears sure hear it.
[*] Soundstage, soundstage, soundstage!!  The soundstage is a bit wider and allows easier identification of L/R separation and placement, but it is waaaaaay deeper than before allowing me to really place the instruments' depth within the space.
[/list]I'm stunned at what a difference this preamp has made.  Now I have to decide what's next - new power amp, subs, DAC, CD/DVD transport, or Maggie 1.6s.  Decisions, decisions.   8)

FWIW, my current playback setup:

Crappy Toshiba DVD/CD player (coax out)
Sony TA-E9000ES (coax in, acting as DAC; pre-outs to preamp)
Audio Experiences Symphonies preamp
Adcom GFA-555 power amp
Magnepan MMG (x 2)
Pinnacle Baby Boomer (dual bipolar drivers)

Tim:
this is the same one that Nick had right? sounds really nice, great price too. Way to go Brian! +T

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: Tim on January 20, 2004, 05:46:57 PM ---this is the same one that Nick had right? sounds really nice, great price too. Way to go Brian! +T
--- End quote ---

Yeah, same model Nick had, but not the same physical box.

Nick Culbreth:
brian - glad to hear you like the new pre so far, definately keep us posted after you've burned it in a bit.  i've been looking at the same preamp so i'd love to hear some more feedback on how it sounds with the mmgs.

Tim:

--- Quote from: nmculbreth on January 20, 2004, 06:33:31 PM ---brian - glad to hear you like the new pre so far, definately keep us posted after you've burned it in a bit.  i've been looking at the same preamp so i'd love to hear some more feedback on how it sounds with the mmgs.

--- End quote ---

Todd said you were interested, did ya pull the trigger?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version