Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Reel To Reel Anyone?

<< < (4/4)

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
Just hooked this up. My Dad gifted it to me along with an assortment of reel to reel tapes. Mostly records he recorded from the library and a ton of classical reels...but this one was the one that made me really want to take it.

Sounds like it needs a little cleaning up. Pots are a little dirty. Heads don't sound that bad, but will probably look into getting them cleaned as well.

Any tips for getting this thing working in tip top shape?

seethreepo:
https://www.facebook.com/ReelToReelTapeRecorders/  My buddy is an electronic wizard and super technical. Feel free to ask him questions. He sells and services from consumer 2track decks to pro studio 24 track machines.

Chilly Brioschi:

--- Quote from: gormenghast on March 27, 2019, 02:27:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: lsd2525 on March 27, 2019, 12:50:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: anodyne33 on March 27, 2019, 09:43:31 AM ---Awesome.

I can't begin to imagine the amount of garbage in that lot of 500. I bet there are at least 7 or 8 Seals and Crofts tapes in there.

--- End quote ---

And a couple of Helen Reddy

--- End quote ---

The two I did receive for the person were live jazz recordings from the 70's with setlist and recording notes.  Nice sounding too.

To add to the list:

Al Hirt  :yack:
Ann Murray

Whenever we see records at the Goodwill there are always plenty of Al Hirt and Ann Murray.  I wonder why.

--- End quote ---

If you transfer that Jumbo tape, I'd love to hear about the drop.
Hirt is legend, I understand where it doesn't fit someone's schema, but he did expand the pages of the American songbook.
He penetrated the industry, and his influence can be lost by his late career commercial success.
See also Pete Fountain and the pantheon of sidemen from that era...

Batman, anyone?
https://www.discogs.com/The-Marketts-The-Batman-Theme-Played-By-The-Marketts/release/11894181

gormenghast:
I would look into deoxit for the pots and read up on what folks are using to clean the heads.  My deck is working great now.  I didn’t need new bands.  Nothing was so dirty it seized up.  Pretty easy project to get it back to working condition. 

I also scored 10 tapes locally with a bunch of recorded stuff.  The person was basically giving it away. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version