Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio interface  (Read 3498 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
audio interface
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
One of my kids wants to use her laptop to record band rehersals, capture ideas and crank out demos.

I've read through many of the posts and am unsure what interface would be appropriate for her purposes. We're good with mics and cables, but don't know what else is needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, oh and +t
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audio interface
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »
One of my kids wants to use her laptop to record band rehersals, capture ideas and crank out demos.

I've read through many of the posts and am unsure what interface would be appropriate for her purposes. We're good with mics and cables, but don't know what else is needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, oh and +t

If you want cheap and quick get an old M-audio Duo they can be had for around $100 on ebay.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
A handful of questions/considerations ought to help you narrow things down:

1) budget?
2) how many tracks?
3) what kind of computer platform (Mac or PC)?
4) any familiarilty with multitracking software (as in possibly already have some), or complete newbie (want software bundled w/ interface)?
5) bus powering or AC power for the interface (and, if bus powering, firewire or USB 2.0)?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
I am not sure if an Apogee MiniMe is within your budget (could use it for the kid's applications and your own ;) 8)) but they seem to pop up used for ~$500. You are of course limited to two tracks at a time but the sound is quite decent and it is a breeze to setup. I use mine for field work and as an interface and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I had a friend who cut an album (punk rock, no vocals) and we finished it up using Cubase, my Sennheier ME-40s (X/Y and a big pop-filter) and the MiniMe USB. Worked like a charm. Well enough, in fact, that with the scratch that is coming my way for the work I am going to have it upgraded to FireWire. Might as well take it up to 96kHz :)

Good luck and right-o for getting the young ones into the hobby! :coolguy:

edit: this are pretty good places to look --->  http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
                                                              http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:14:32 PM by Kyle »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm searching on the M-audio.

She has a new pc laptop running vista. Four channels, 2 vocal, 2 instrument, would do it for now. She's used audacity and a number of other pieces of software.

She has the ability to get into a studio, so this is more to hear how they sound, try out concepts and create  live demos, where each track is taken in one swing.

I like the idea of being able to borrow the gear, and wonder about something like the Oade Warm UA-5 in the Yard. Would that work?
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
I personally think M-Audio gear is only so-so, and best to avoid unless you want a route into using ProTools.  If ProTools is the way you want to go, you're stuck with M-Audio...unfortunately IMO.  Presonus or MOTU gear in the middling range or RME, Metric-Halo, Apogee in the more spendy range seems a more appropriate choice IMO if you can afford it.  You'd need some software for the MOTU gear b/c the bundled freeware (AudioDesk) is Mac only.  Presonus gear is bundled with Cuebase for recording/editing software, which I understand to be pretty functional/user-friendly from folks I know who use it.

If you need at least 4 tracks, do not waste your time with a 2 track interface.  It's not going to have the functionality you need unless you're not recording all the tracks 'live' and are overdubbing at least 2 of those tracks (vox?).  A more typical 8track interface would be better for you/her, and allow some room to expand.

Just read up before buying and make sure Vista drivers are available and not known problems for whatever you choose, and double check specs before you buy to make sure the laptop has enough RAM and a fast enough internal HD (if you'll be recording to it instead of an external HD).  Firewire is far superior to USB 2.0 for multitrack capture.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm searching on the M-audio.

She has a new pc laptop running vista. Four channels, 2 vocal, 2 instrument, would do it for now. She's used audacity and a number of other pieces of software.

She has the ability to get into a studio, so this is more to hear how they sound, try out concepts and create  live demos, where each track is taken in one swing.

I like the idea of being able to borrow the gear, and wonder about something like the Oade Warm UA-5 in the Yard. Would that work?

Get a used M-AUDIO omnistudio.... it will work great for your application....http://cgi.ebay.com/m-audio-omnistudio-usb-audio-interface-24-96-24-bit_W0QQitemZ130268249937QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have tested this interface and I was amazed at the quality of the mic preamps and the low self noise of this unit and I actually have one that I use for song writing.

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
I personally think M-Audio gear is only so-so, and best to avoid unless you want a route into using ProTools.  If ProTools is the way you want to go, you're stuck with M-Audio...unfortunately IMO.  Presonus or MOTU gear in the middling range or RME, Metric-Halo, Apogee in the more spendy range seems a more appropriate choice IMO if you can afford it.  You'd need some software for the MOTU gear b/c the bundled freeware (AudioDesk) is Mac only.  Presonus gear is bundled with Cuebase for recording/editing software, which I understand to be pretty functional/user-friendly from folks I know who use it.

If you need at least 4 tracks, do not waste your time with a 2 track interface.  It's not going to have the functionality you need unless you're not recording all the tracks 'live' and are overdubbing at least 2 of those tracks (vox?).  A more typical 8track interface would be better for you/her, and allow some room to expand.

Just read up before buying and make sure Vista drivers are available and not known problems for whatever you choose, and double check specs before you buy to make sure the laptop has enough RAM and a fast enough internal HD (if you'll be recording to it instead of an external HD).  Firewire is far superior to USB 2.0 for multitrack capture.

I think all the products you mention are great if you have lots of cash but for most song writing your not going to notice the D/A in a moto vrs a M-AUDIO I know this because I have measured them. I find some of the m-audio stuff to be crap but some of the m-audio stuff is amazing case in point the 192 audiophile soundcard I measured the self noise at -111db that's pretty freaking quiet. Now if I had a no limit budget I would go with a RME fireface or Lynx interface. But for someone that is just trying to lay down some tracks on a laptop m-audio works just fine and not just with protools.

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:57 AM »

Get a used M-AUDIO omnistudio.... it will work great for your application....http://cgi.ebay.com/m-audio-omnistudio-usb-audio-interface-24-96-24-bit_W0QQitemZ130268249937QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have tested this interface and I was amazed at the quality of the mic preamps and the low self noise of this unit and I actually have one that I use for song writing.

Chris

[/quote]

This would be great. Do you think M-Audio will put out vista drivers?

I'm not a fan of vista, but the laptop she got has it for the OS.
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »

Chris

This would be great. Do you think M-Audio will put out vista drivers?

I'm not a fan of vista, but the laptop she got has it for the OS.
[/quote]

No but for $100 you can get an oem copy of XP and have a much better op system for recording IMO.

easy jim

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »
I think all the products you mention are great if you have lots of cash but for most song writing your not going to notice the D/A in a moto vrs a M-AUDIO I know this because I have measured them. I find some of the m-audio stuff to be crap but some of the m-audio stuff is amazing case in point the 192 audiophile soundcard I measured the self noise at -111db that's pretty freaking quiet. Now if I had a no limit budget I would go with a RME fireface or Lynx interface. But for someone that is just trying to lay down some tracks on a laptop m-audio works just fine and not just with protools.

hmmm....that M-Audio omnistudio looks interesting.  I'd never seen it before.

Considering Chris' comments, I figure I should retract my general bashing of M-Audio gear.  Those test specs you reference for the A/D input and self noise are impressive.  My experience has been with the DUO and the Digi002, both of which I did not like - specifically the pre-amps.  I also think the clock in the M-Audio gear, like MOTU stuff, is a real weak point.  If you can run a front-end clock source for them, as with MOTU gear, it makes a big improvement in the sound.

I think you're right too, Chris, with respect to the budget/price point commentary.  There's almost always going to be better gear if you have more money to spend.  That's why I put 'budget' as the first consideration in the questions I asked in my first post.  Since intpseeker has not indicated a budget, all we can do is throw out options/suggestions.  I think the Presonus and MOTU gear is really nice in the 'middling' price range by comparison to the M-Audio gear (most of which is lower) and the RME/Lynx, etc. (on the higher, more spendy end of the range).

Offline allan

• Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 01:24:28 PM »
Im gonna go ahead and suggest a presonus firepod ($200-250 used on ebay) it gives you 8 mic ins and a copy of cubase, not sure if it works with vista yet though. Its pretty easy to use and gives you plenty of inputs at a good price, as opposed to the MOTU gear which can be found for a similar price, but digital performer... hard to learn, use, kinda clunky interface. Cubase is much easier to use so presonus gets my vote!

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
The presonus looks like it is listed as compatible with XP sp1.

While I can't see going large in terms of budget for this project, I'm not going to go light and get garbage when I could spend 4-500 and get something that I could use, too.   :laugh:

AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »
The presonus looks like it is listed as compatible with XP sp1.

While I can't see going large in terms of budget for this project, I'm not going to go light and get garbage when I could spend 4-500 and get something that I could use, too.   :laugh:

I can't say I'm a big fan of the Firepod (of the FP10 as it's now known), but I'd buy anything by Presonus before I bought anything by M-Audio.

Different strokes for different folks, but from my own personal experience the only M-Audio piece worth a crap as more than a low budget hobbyist gizmo is the ProFire 2626.  Everything else is a couple of notches below.  As always, YMMV and some may disagree.

You don't have to go large, but don't go light either.  M-Audio = light.   :P
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline honeyeffigy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 11:24:29 PM »
I'd like to setup a system utilizing my new 15-inch MacBook Pro  (2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB / 320GB SATA internal hd @ 7200rpm) and then drop the audio onto an external bus powered 320GB "Mercury On-The-Go" FireWire 800 / 400 + USB2 7200rpm 16MB Cache portable SATA 2.5" hard drive.

-At a minimum I'd like to simultaneously record 24 tracks (live shows).
-I'm looking for a higher-end / quality setup.  Of course cost is an issue, but I'm planning on keeping this thing for quite some time.

Is the setup, as specified with above parameters, even practical?  Am I naive to think all this data will transfer to an external without dire consequences?  Would you run your system like this or does anyone have alternative recommendations?

I'm a newbie to large scale multitrack recording, but i've been recording for years (DAT, minidisc... and now own an Edirol R44)
Any suggestions on an interface or other hardware/software I need to accomplish my dream would be greatly appreciated! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.388 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com