Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does this signify anything bad?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
Does this signify anything bad?
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:56:32 AM »
Just got back from a show, I recorded these guys pretty loud and it came out sounding great. I'm figuring that it probably doesn't, but does this screenshot of the waveform signify any...I don't know...loss...anything of the sort?

Zoom of the first song:

Anything to worry about? As I said, it's not distorted, nothing cut out, etc. This is from my CA cards > CA stc-9000 > R-09.

Thanks!
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Does this signify anything bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
Definately doesn't look sexy (to me anyway).  Part of me is wondering how good the battery in your preamp is because of the asymetrical look of the form.  The fact that it looks like two sticks of butter also worries me, little to no dynamic range in there, similar to an FM recording.  I don't use a R-09, but I wonder if the volume setting on the R-09 was not set at an optimal level.  Hopefully someone with the right knowledge will stop by and check it out.  The most important thing is that it sounds undamaged.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
Looks like you may have brickwalled the preamp (STC9000) before the R09's input.  It doesn't look all that bad, though.  Maybe try cutting back a little on the pre's gain, and utilizing some additional gain from the R09, or in post with software. 

At least it sounds great.   :)
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Ahh good point on the battery. It has been a while.

I have the R-09 set permanently at level 6, which I had heard is the zero attenuation point for this recorder.

So it's probably just because I had my pre too high? It does sound very good though, definitely better than it did there lol
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

I have the R-09 set permanently at level 6, which I had heard is the zero attenuation point for this recorder.

I can't remember what is should be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 6.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »
I think the r09 unity is 13...although a lot of people seem to think that 8 sounds the best.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
I think the r09 unity is 13...although a lot of people seem to think that 8 sounds the best.

Yes and don't ever set it below 8. It has been reported that if you need to set it below 8 to keep the meters from hitting 0 dB your recording may brickwall. Setting it at 6 could be the reason your recording brickwalled since you say the show you recorded was loud.

Unless you had the ST-9000 set at +30 dB or it had a bad battery, the settings on the R-09 is the most likely reason for the problem.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:04:33 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »

Yes and don't ever set it below 8. It has been reported that if you need to set it below 8 to keep the meters from hitting 0 dB your recording may brickwall. Setting it at 6 could be the reason your recording brickwalled since you say the show you recorded was loud.

Unless you had the ST-9000 set at +30 dB or it had a bad battery, the settings on the R-09 is the most likely reason for the problem.

is it really 8 (or 13)? That's probably at least a part of it, I had it in my head it was 6 for some reason...idk where that came from, lol. I'll read up and figure it out

Admittedly, partially just to see what I could crank out of this thing, I did have the pre at +30 in order to get a hot signal to the R-09. If I had cared more about the bands...probably not. It did get me a hot signal as I was aiming for and came out a good volume. But now I'm doubting the 9000's battery is the problem (tested it, fine) and I'm thinking that with a higher level on the R-09 I can get that same gain without cranking the pre as high.

just sorta thinking out loud, as always though comments are definitely appreciated!
Team SoCal

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »
is it really 8 (or 13)? That's probably at least a part of it, I had it in my head it was 6 for some reason...idk where that came from, lol. I'll read up and figure it out

I think it is more likely to be 13 than 8. More people have thought it is 13 than 8 and Edirol has made 13 the default value when the machine originally powers up.

Also it is best not to crank it up above 25. The pres are most noisy between 25-30. It would be best to keep it at 25 or below and add any additional gain desired in post. Even better would be to use a preamp like the ST-9100 when recording stuff that is not very loud.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com