Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USB (ASIO based?) audio input device - could I get some recommendations?  (Read 5136 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: USB (ASIO based?) audio input device - could I get some recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
Hey TS,

I need a really good USB audio input for my laptop. Right now, I'm running just Church-Audio Cards with an 1/8" plug. I have a Church-Audio 9000 preamp as well, but the reason I need the USB interface is so I can get a SBD and AUD recordings.

I plan it like so: Board feed > 9000 preamp > Edirol R-09 (for the soundboard), and Church cards > USB interface > Laptop (for the audience).

Ok - assuming USB interfaces actually work...none of that makes sense.

Why not use a single USB interface and record all sources via one interface...? I dont get why you want to make two recordings???

I see USB devices that advertise 8-10 channels over USB...why bother with anything else?

I think there are success stories/threads involving inexpensive netbooks and USB interfaces...

As much as I hate the LCD screen at a gig - it seems to work...better and better.
More than two channels over USB is generally a bad idea. You will only find a few interfaces that offer more than two channels on USB and I wouldn't recommend them. If you want to do multisource straight to a computer, stick with firewire. Just my $.02.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: USB (ASIO based?) audio input device - could I get some recommendations?
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
Hey TS,

I need a really good USB audio input for my laptop. Right now, I'm running just Church-Audio Cards with an 1/8" plug. I have a Church-Audio 9000 preamp as well, but the reason I need the USB interface is so I can get a SBD and AUD recordings.

I plan it like so: Board feed > 9000 preamp > Edirol R-09 (for the soundboard), and Church cards > USB interface > Laptop (for the audience).

Ok - assuming USB interfaces actually work...none of that makes sense.

Why not use a single USB interface and record all sources via one interface...? I dont get why you want to make two recordings???

I see USB devices that advertise 8-10 channels over USB...why bother with anything else?

I think there are success stories/threads involving inexpensive netbooks and USB interfaces...

As much as I hate the LCD screen at a gig - it seems to work...better and better.
More than two channels over USB is generally a bad idea. You will only find a few interfaces that offer more than two channels on USB and I wouldn't recommend them. If you want to do multisource straight to a computer, stick with firewire. Just my $.02.
The problem is many small (non mac) laptops have USB only.  For macs, obviously Firewire is the way to go, but not for netbooks, small laptops.

I don't think there is a problem with <=4 channels on USB1.0 or more channels on USB2.0.  There is just limited selection of interfaces for USB.

I would not recommend trying to do both monitoring and recording with USB, though.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com