Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: thoughts on using m audio fast track pro usb to transfer DAT's  (Read 4168 times)

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
thoughts on using m audio fast track pro usb to transfer DAT's
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »
ok, i am finally going to do it, transfer my DAT's to hard drives.  it's going to be daunting.  i have a m audio fast track pro usb that i use for dj'ing.  i like it for that application because i can hook up a vocal mic and run the music to some JBL monitors via the fast track pro. 

anyways, is there any reasons that i may not want to use the s/pdif input on the fast track pro connected via usb to my macbook to transfer the files?  i guess what i am getting at is it a bit for bit transfer with that unit? 

as always, i appreciate any help!

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: thoughts on using m audio fast track pro usb to transfer DAT's
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »
ok, i am finally going to do it, transfer my DAT's to hard drives.  it's going to be daunting.  i have a m audio fast track pro usb that i use for dj'ing.  i like it for that application because i can hook up a vocal mic and run the music to some JBL monitors via the fast track pro. 

anyways, is there any reasons that i may not want to use the s/pdif input on the fast track pro connected via usb to my macbook to transfer the files?  i guess what i am getting at is it a bit for bit transfer with that unit? 

Bit for bit optical input is built into your Mac. Just use that. You'll need a mini toslink adapter and you are all set.

Keytohwy

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

Bit for bit optical input is built into your Mac. Just use that. You'll need a mini toslink adapter and you are all set.

Keytohwy

i didn't even know that.  thanks for the information!  the sony 2600 only has a coaxial out though.  i suppose i could get a coaxial to optical box.  i think i remember them making those....

edited to add:  how did i ever live without a mac?  every time i turn around it has more features than i thought. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:45:12 AM by funkoff13 »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
I had great success using the Hosa ODL-276 doing spdif > optical DAT transfers (DAT > JB3).

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
yeah- that might prove a bit more stable (not that you're really pushing the envelope with a two track transfer) than using the Fast Track Pro, but then it is a Mac!

Having said that; my brand new 13" Macbook falls over every second or third time I use my M-audio M Box 2 with it.

anyway, let us know how it works out through the optical I/P...

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
I had great success using the Hosa ODL-276 doing spdif > optical DAT transfers (DAT > JB3).

Thread Hijack!!  I have one of these Hosa boxes collecting dust if yinz is interested.  It's the 24/96 model, not that that's applicable in this case. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:04 PM »

Thread Hijack!!  I have one of these Hosa boxes collecting dust if yinz is interested.  It's the 24/96 model, not that that's applicable in this case.

ok.  clearly it will work for my application, right?!

yeah- that might prove a bit more stable (not that you're really pushing the envelope with a two track transfer) than using the Fast Track Pro, but then it is a Mac!

Having said that; my brand new 13" Macbook falls over every second or third time I use my M-audio M Box 2 with it.

anyway, let us know how it works out through the optical I/P...

JimP

really?!  what are you using it for?  i have an issue now and again however, it's very rare.  every second or third time would kill my business.  have you reported that to m audio?  what other solutions have you considered? 

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »

Yeah, I meant to state that it works up to 24/96...and everything below. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »

that is what i figured you meant.  i checked it out online too.  i found another brand that goes up to 24/48 (which is what i need)  for around $20.  how much would you want for the used one?  and is it bit for bit?  i assume it just changes the signal type without messing with the 1's and zeros, correct?

edit to add: sorry, i didn't say thanks for offering it up.  also if you would like to discuss please pm me. 

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:23:35 AM »
I haven't reported it to anyone actually.

I'll need to investigate it and see if its under warranty and I can take it into a shop...

I use it for nothing except ProTools post production of my footage...

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »

that is what i figured you meant.  i checked it out online too.  i found another brand that goes up to 24/48 (which is what i need)  for around $20.  how much would you want for the used one?  and is it bit for bit?  i assume it just changes the signal type without messing with the 1's and zeros, correct?

edit to add: sorry, i didn't say thanks for offering it up.  also if you would like to discuss please pm me.

The Hosa products (at least the ODL3xx AES>SPDIF) has been found to be Bit-Perfect.  I made perfect Xfers (AFAIK) with my Hosa 276.

I had no such luck with the M-Audio CO2 nor the Radio Shack DFC, both of which gave me drop-outs...

YMMV...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
yeah i called hosa tech support yesterday and they claimed exactly what terry is saying.  thanks you guys, this was a big help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com