Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Converting DATs to wav's via Marantz 661  (Read 2546 times)

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Converting DATs to wav's via Marantz 661
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
I realize this is a very basic procedure for most people here and I'm behind the times quite a bit.  I just got a Marantz PMD661 and I'd like to start backing up many of my DATs.  I made a wav file at 48k from the DAT to the Marantz and I'm ready to jump on the computer and work.  I can get the wav file onto my pc.

Can someone run me through the basic procedure, or just point me to a thread or FAQ that would help me complete the task?

I'm guessing I need to take the 90 min 48k wav file and 1st convert it to 44.1kHz.  Then I need to chop up the long file into individual tracks, being careful of sector boundary errors.  At this point I can then flac the wav's for archival purposes, and burn the wav's to cd's.

Should I use Audacity to do the sample rate conversion and track dividing?  I have also heard of CDWav and of course, Sound Forge.

I'd appreciate any comments, or just links, as I'm sure these are all common tasks.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Converting DATs to wav's via Marantz 661
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
I don't know anything about Audacity, but I do know there is no need to convert the sample rate to 44.1 unless you are planning to make CD's that you want to play in a CD player.

For backup, I would strongly recommend using an external hard drive rather than burning to CD's unless you need to the CD's for playing the recordings. Then get a 2nd hard drive to make copies on in case something goes wrong with the first one.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
good place to start...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0

For DAT transfers - I find myself (more often than not) wanting to edit something...not just cut tracks. So you're looking for an editor.

If you're looking to stick with free software - and since you arent particularly used to one method - I'd suggest trying Audacity.

Be sure to use the latest beta - 1.3.12 version and not the 1.2.6 stable.

For tracking, your choice I guess, you can track with Audacity, but CD Wave is good also.

The one thing about tracking with Audacity is, it sort of wants you to know the song titles when you do the final save.
And prompts you for the info...confusing, especially if you are used to CDwav (and considering not all tapers use the meta info stuff.)
I think some people are put off by this as it sort of screws with workflow. (I tend to make my setlist/info file last...)

Offline hurrysundown

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
I've heard about cool edit 2.1 but can't seem to find the right link.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:27:24 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:28 AM »

Runonce, could you tell me what improvements I could expect from 1.3.12?

Thanks
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

runonce

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:12 AM »

Runonce, could you tell me what improvements I could expect from 1.3.12?

Thanks

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/features-1.3-a#details

Well - most importantly - saving (or in Audacity speak "exporting") direct to FLAC...improved tracking.

Hard to say exactly as there have been a half-dozen betas since the 1.2.6 release.

Audacity betas are =very= stable...1.3.12 has been out almost a year.

the 1.2.6 release is probably 2 years old or more...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com