Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for Schoeps MK4/CCM4?  (Read 6557 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Windscreens for Schoeps MK4/CCM4?
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Besides the Schoeps windscreens, what are some good alternatives?  Basically 19mm or 20mm sized.  I searched but didn't come up with much besides the DPA 0896 that I don't love because they're so scratchy and I don't want to risk scratching my new mics with them over time.  The windtech 1200 are too loose and the 1300 are too tight.  Anyone using any other windscreens that fit well and are affordable? 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Windscreens for Schoeps MK4/CCM4?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »
I don't think the DPA UA0896 will scratch your mics.  FWIW, I mainly used UA0896 indoors because I found the Shure A81WS more effective outdoors.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brian, but when I briefly owned the 0896s, it seemed that they were very coarse and scratchy, and required a bit of force to push them on the mics (since they're 19mm screens and the Schoeps I think are 20mm).  Maybe I should give them another try though... anyone have a pair for me for cheap?  :P

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
Wind tech 1300's are the correct fit. They are snug but that iis the way you want them. I use them without any problems and they are priced the way windscreen should be, $5.80 through Markertek.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
May have been lost in my last post.  If they're for outdoors, the Shure A81WS are tough to beat...unless you spend $$$ for a proper basket / windjammer-type outfit.

I haven't used them first-hand, but I find it hard to believe the Windtech 1300 are effective for anything beyond a light, indoor HVAC breeze.  They just look way too thin.  More like foam pop screens to my eye.
Roland R-05

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
I should have mentioned that I was looking for indoor purpose screens.  I also use the big @$$ Shures for outdoors (and love them).  The 1300s are too small and the 1200s are too large, I know because I own several pairs of both.  Guess I'll try the 0896 again.  :P

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »
I own a pair of CCM 4's and just bought 6 pairs of 1300's. I am sliding them on my mic now as I type. Yep, they are snug but they fit. If you want a loose fit put your fingers inside and stretch them a bit.

Is there a reason you are against having a snig fit? It only takes me about 20 seconds to get them on.

BTW., I also use them for my 84's 140's 460's and MXL 991's. They fit on all of them. On the AKG's they slide right on. Also, if after you put them on, just leave them on. There really is no need to take them off unless you use them on a grand piano.

Another cheap way to get more windscreen coverage is to use the 1300 and a LD screen together. This works great for outdoor windy situations.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
This may be a silly question, but...why not the B-5s?
Roland R-05

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
May have been lost in my last post.  If they're for outdoors, the Shure A81WS are tough to beat...unless you spend $$$ for a proper basket / windjammer-type outfit.

I haven't used them first-hand, but I find it hard to believe the Windtech 1300 are effective for anything beyond a light, indoor HVAC breeze.  They just look way too thin.  More like foam pop screens to my eye.

I'll second that one.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »
Actually, the protection from the wind is on the tip of the screen, where it belongs, and is around 1 inch thick. However, that being said, unless you are under a shed, if there is any significant wind I would put more protect on your mic.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »
Not all windscreen foam is created equal... I find the windtech stuff is not very "open" compared to the Shure.   And... the windtech's I have do not leave air space around the capsule - they hug it.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:40 AM »
Not all windscreen foam is created equal... I find the windtech stuff is not very "open" compared to the Shure.   And... the windtech's I have do not leave air space around the capsule - they hug it.

True!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »
Actually, the protection from the wind is on the tip of the screen, where it belongs, and is around 1 inch thick.

Maybe I'm missing the intended point above but...  Generally, the more directional the mic, the more sensitive it is to wind.  And it is important that the wind not cause pressure differences between the front of the capsule and the vents.  That is perhaps another reason why maintaining a common air space around the capsule is desirable.  So having lots of foam on the tip may not be enough.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:47 AM »
This may be a silly question, but...why not the B-5s?

B5Ds?  Just price really, otherwise I love them.

I own a pair of CCM 4's and just bought 6 pairs of 1300's. I am sliding them on my mic now as I type. Yep, they are snug but they fit. If you want a loose fit put your fingers inside and stretch them a bit.

Maybe I'll give them another try, thanks for the suggestions everyone, guess it looks like I'll try the 0896 and 1300s again and try to get a pair of B5Ds as well.  8)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
B5Ds?

I mean the plain old B5, available for $18/ea from Posthorn, in a variety of colors (though I've never seen any but grey).
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com