Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Capsules  (Read 6645 times)

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic Capsules
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
HI,
I see that a number of you use capsules rather than complete mics. This is new to me. What is the point? And how do you mount them?

Sparky

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Mic Capsules
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
One mic body....several different cap patterns that screw on to said mic body.....now your ready for situation you walk into.

some use what is called an active set up....minus the mic body......same principal much lower profile set up....

The goal is to make as little a profile in the air....especially FOB....so your not blocking any lines of sight...specially the person running the board...

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
right now I own 3 pairs of bodies and 6 pairs of capsules (4 different patterns)
that's like owning 15 pairs of mics  ;)

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
HI,
I sort of understand the concept but not the details. Is the capsule just the diaphram? Does that mean that any electronics would be contained in the body?

But I have seen just the capsules with no body. How does that work? Is more needed before the preamp? In my case it would be a mixer.

And, I again ask how you mount the capsules? How do you feed phantom power?

And I think you are saying that this saves money. Right?

Thanks, Sparky

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
HI,
I sort of understand the concept but not the details. Is the capsule just the diaphram? Does that mean that any electronics would be contained in the body?

Depends on the manufactuer, but they all have something in the cap itself, it's just how much. Schoeps has special circuitry in the connecting cables between cap and body so they have the least of any setup that I can think of right off hand. Others, such as Neumann, Beyerdynamic, or MBHO put more circuitry in the capsule and use passive/normal cables between the two.

But I have seen just the capsules with no body. How does that work? Is more needed before the preamp? In my case it would be a mixer.

The bodies typically sit in your bag instead of in the air, what most setups do is just seperate them so that you have less stuff in the air is all. So your chain is still cap > cable > body > normal XLR cable > preamp et al. You would still feed the bodies P48 (or whatever voltage is appropriate), and they translate that into the necessary current and polarization voltage that is sent to the caps. Now, in some setups, such as a "lemosax" (sonosax sx-m2/ls model), an nbox, or other such special devices, the bodies can be completely removed as those will provide both gain, and the appropriate voltages to the capsules.

And, I again ask how you mount the capsules?

And I think you are saying that this saves money. Right?

I have some pictures of mine, but they typically can be done in what's called a kwonbar style setup with a single shockmount (there are other threads around here with pictures such as this one), and some companies provide special mounting equipment (beyerdynamic and milab are two that comes to mind).

As for saving money, unless you can buy caps and bodies separately (and can find a cheap option of replacing the bodies and preamp in one shot), it won't, it's mainly useful in terms of options, and size.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
Here is a link to a few of my pics, which show JUST the mic capsule+Cable on my stand :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?2a7s9acfnzpj6
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
HI All,
Thanks for your replies. I think I understand more now. See what you get for being helpful.....more questions!! I followed the links and read the associated threads. You all definitely speak a new language. For example, the internet has no idea what MBHO means except for some health care definitions. I don't think that is what you are saying. So, what exactly does MBHO mean? And kwon bar (I think I know what this one is from the pictures)?

Page, thanks for your very specific answers. Now I can ask better questions and get to the heart of the matter.

Bean, your pictures are very helpful. It appears that you have a full featured erector set when you set up. I assume all those clamps are to handle different mounting situations. Now I can see how they are mounted. All this is totally new to me.

I think I must be missing something. Are you saying the only reason to go to capsules is to reduce the visual impact of a full bodied mic? Gaining more options are also mentioned. How does a capsule give those options. Some examples might help. How does reducing the visual impact help and why is it important especially in a studio environment? Mics aren't THAT big, are they? You must think these issues are important because you all are clearly jumping through hoops to use capsules.

What are the sonic consequences of using capsules? Are they offering improved sonics or are they mostly a logistical issue?

One last one. Are use of capsules rather than complete mics an exotic practice? Are they "bleeding edge" technology? I ask because I have never noticed their use before. Do I just need to be more observant? And I have also noticed that many mic manufacturers do not offer just a capsule. So, this must not be a universal practice, at least not yet. Obviously, a singer who likes to hand hold a mic needs a complete mic. So, are capsules used mostly for the individulal insruments or overall stage coverage? I have never seen a capsule on a stand in front of the singer.

Thanks a bunch for your patience and help.

Sparky
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:39:13 AM by Karma »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
HI All,
Thanks for your replies. I think I understand more now. See what you get for being helpful.....more questions!! I followed the links and read the associated threads. You all definitely speak a new language. For example, the internet has no idea what MBHO means except for some health care definitions. I don't think that is what you are saying. So, what exactly does MBHO mean? And kwan bar (I think I know what this one is from the pictures)?

You'll find some info about MBHO's mics here, the company site will have the cap model numbers (e.g. kn200) that you can use when searching. First two results for "mbho" on google are for the company site.

Robert Kwon crafted the original bars. They are made of either PVC or delrin (depending on who made them, the originals are delrin IIRC) and they are cut on the ends in two ways; one is across the end at an angle, the other is a slit down the shaft of the bar. The first cut creates the angle of the caps (and spacing by how much is cut off) and the slit is for the cable exists behind the capsule. Models are almost always specific to a mic brand as the cap distance is different (so bar lengths will be different, e.g. for a true ORTF setup)

I think I must be missing something. Are you saying the only reason to go to capsules is to reduce the visual impact of a full bodied mic? Gaining more options are also mentioned. How does a capsule give those options. Some examples might help. How does reducing the visual impact help and why is it important? Mics aren't THAT big, are they? You must think these issues are important because you all are clearly jumping through hoops to use capsules.

Really it basically is visual impact and options;

• Often times people here will want to setup their recording gear in densely packed places or between the sound crew and the stage (hence forth known as FOB, Impact Zone, Up Front, etc). To run a full set of bodies in these circumstances is more likely to incur a request to move out of the way by venue staff due to the visual impediment compared to someone who has a very low visual foot print.
  • Some folks like to use their gear in situations where they are not supposed to (either completely, or it is frowned upon by bands/venues/etc). So being visually transparent is considered a real benefit in these situations. For example, one would have much more trouble recording in front of the soundboard at a Phish show with LD mics compared to SD mics that employ a remote-style setup. (other precautions are advised in addition to, but a smaller footprint still holds true

Second, as for options. With the Schoeps line, if you buy the CCMs, you pay for the cap and body circuitry each time you purchase a new pattern. With a single set of CMC bodies, you can then buy a set of MK4V caps, MK41 caps, MK21 caps, etc. That selection of caps (and polar patterns) is the noted "options", instead of having to purchase the body circuitry over and over again, you have a modular setup that can be purchased in pieces. Not every manufacturer will do this, but the majority seem to be open to that.

What are the sonic consequences of using capsules? Are they offering improved sonics or are they mostly a logistical issue?

Just logistical. In the case of Schoeps, the MK series of caps that are used in the remote line are the same caps that are used in either the CCM or full body line. Most of the time if there is a remote edition, it's the same capsule in a different setup rather then a different sounding product all together.

One last one. Are use of capsules rather than complete mics an exotic practice? So, are capsules used mostly for the individulal insruments or overall stage coverage? I have never seen a capsule on a stand in front of the singer.

(note, I rearranged your post so I'd only have to quote/reply once, this was intentional)

It's uncommon as a whole, and generally centered on a few applications/genres (Theater and Orchestral music come to mind where a small visual foot print is valued). The places I've seen them used professionally (again, going back to the theater and orchestra examples), they are used as fill/room mics and not as spot mics.

Are they "bleeding edge" technology? I ask because I have never noticed their use before. Do I just need to be more observant? And I have also noticed that many mic manufacturers do not offer just a capsule. So, this must not be a universal practice, at least not yet. Obviously, a singer who likes to hand hold a mic needs a complete mic.

Schoeps and Neumann have done remote setups since at least the 80s. DPA has traditionally made very small setup which many here have considered comparable to a "cap system" because of it's size and remote-ness although it is only recently that DPA has introduced a true cap changeable system. Otherwise, you wouldn't necessarily see them in a studio (being unobtrusive isn't a value there), or on stage (cost), or at the mixing desk at a concert for a band's fill channels (again, they don't care, no incentive).

Off the top of my head, Schoeps has the largest selection of remote cap options, while Neumann, MBHO, beyerdynamic, milab, (now) DPA, and (only very special vintage setups) AKG all have selections that folks here will use to some degree or another. There are probably some others, it's early in the morning where I am.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
Page takes it for the best early morning info packed post.
Props.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:35 AM »
right now I own 3 pairs of bodies and 6 pairs of capsules (4 different patterns)

It's like owning 15 pairs of mics, unless you want to use them all at the same time, in which case it's more like owing 6 mics. Just sayin'..
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »

It's like owning 15 pairs of mics, unless you want to use them all at the same time, in which case it's more like owing 6 mics. Just sayin'..

valid point if I were recording multitrack
but for stereo audience recording it's nice to have so many options without having to carry that many different mics

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
> I have never seen a capsule on a stand in front of the singer.

Please see attached photo (these are Schoeps).
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
> I have never seen a capsule on a stand in front of the singer.

Please see attached photo (these are Schoeps).

HI DSatz,
I stand corrected. That's pretty neat. They really are small and it appears there are two capsules per singer. Who makes those mic stands?

Page, thanks for your great answers. So MBHO is actually a manufacturer. That's why my Google search failed. I thought it was an acronym so I asked Google to "define" MBHO. Google tried but did not show the company. See, it really is a new language to me.

Everybody, thanks for your replies. This has been a very good thread. Maybe some day I will learn enough to be able to say I know something.

Sparky

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
Page, thanks for your great answers. So MBHO is actually a manufacturer. That's why my Google search failed. I thought it was an acronym so I asked Google to "define" MBHO. Google tried but did not show the company. See, it really is a new language to me.

no worries, it's a learning process.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Karma, the capsule of a condenser microphone is basically a small-value air capacitor, so at audio frequencies it has an extremely high output impedance. This creates special problems for connecting the capsule to the microphone's amplifier (circuitry) and from there to rest of your recording equipment. You can't, for example, simply connect an extension cable of arbitrary length to the capsule's output and then place the microphone's amplifier wherever it would be convenient, or else much of the signal would be lost in the cable, the noise would increase and the frequency response would likely come out wrong.

However, for many years, passive capsule extensions were sometimes used despite these disadvantages--the best of them were carefully designed and constructed, and were only a few inches to maybe two feet long at most. The modern, effective way to operate the capsule apart from its amplifier (favored since this approach was introduced the early 1970s) is to put the first stage of the amplifier circuitry directly behind the capsule--either by integrating it into the capsule housing, or by integrating it into the extension cable at the point where that cable attaches to the capsule.

There is no industry standard whatsoever for the connectors or contacts between a capsule and its electronics. Just as the various manufacturers don't make it easy to use other manufacturers' capsules on their amplifiers or vice versa, each manufacturer offers its own selection of devices for use between the amplifier and capsule--and in general, those are the only ones that can physically be used with that brand or type of microphone.

The broad general extension types are cables, tubes (as in the photo I posted), pivots, and "goosenecks." Some manufacturers also offer accessories that can be placed between the capsules and amplifiers of their microphones for special purposes, e.g. filters or attenuators.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:10:22 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com