Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: spaced cards...  (Read 7076 times)

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
spaced cards...
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »
thinking about splitting some cards from the loge for mule at the beacon one night.  anyone have any experience?  tips or tricks?
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: spaced cards...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:23:37 AM »
thinking about splitting some cards from the loge for mule at the beacon one night.  anyone have any experience?  tips or tricks?

Buy some 43's and split those  >:D

Only tip I can give on splitting cards is point and shoot.  Never been to the beacon so I don't know if this is a good or bad idea, BUT, no better way than try.   ;) I'm sure other tapers will be there so in case you blow it.  In  fact, this is the kinda of situations where I like to try new patterns/caps/techniques.  Go for it!   ;D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
I have done this. My experience is that it would be best to keep the split around two to four feet. I split cardiods a few times and to my ears, it sounded best with that spread. I ran a 30 foot split at Cal Expo for the Grateful Dead one time, because the SBD area effectively blocked the center position. So I ran one mic on one side of the borad and another on the other side of the board. 30 feet in that application was way too much. Let us know what you do decide on, and report back how you think it sounded.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:49:30 AM »
yeah, i was thinking 3-5 feet split...

what about the position of them.  straight at the stage (in parallel) or pointed at the stacks?
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:52:56 AM »
I've pointed them at the outside of the stacks.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
bump.

anyone have any experiences with this?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:14:13 PM »
This show was recorded with 4022's, but they were split 24' and it sounds great, IMO.  I say go for it, Brad.

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2005-03-02-dpa4023.flac16
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:22:52 PM »
and, yes, absolutely try it!

yeah document the details of your technique, then report here with samples!
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »
This show was recorded with 4022's, but they were split 24' and it sounds great, IMO.  I say go for it, Brad.

Just wanted to point out this is a split card stack recording, not split cards from an ambient audience location:

mics split 24' and hung from each side of the balcony
aprroxiamately 4' from each stack all FOB
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »

Just wanted to point out this is a split card stack recording, not split cards from an ambient audience location:

mics split 24' and hung from each side of the balcony
aprroxiamately 4' from each stack all FOB

Doh!  Good catch, Brian.  +T

I remember reading that as well, but spaced when I posted obviously.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »
I haven't done it for awhile, but I made some nice split card recordings.  I always split the mics about 3', don't think I'd go for much more spacing than that as 3' gave a plenty spacious and defined soundstage.  I ran split cards in places that would've been bad for cards in a typical DIN or ORTF pattern, like under the balcony at the Landmark in Richmond or at the back of DAR Constitution hall in DC.

I found it to be an excellent way of getting good recordings with good soundstage definition while helping eliminating room reverb, etc from bad sounding rooms/taping locations.

I haven't done any A-B card recordings in a few years since I've had hypers at my disposal, but now that I'm back to just cards and omnis, I might try it again.

Anyone have any experience with 4ch mic mixes with a center XY (or DIN) pair of cards mixed with a pair of A-B cards?  I've tried that just once with my new Milab VM44 Links XY in the center and SP C4 cards split 3'.  Came out good -- I liked that 4ch mix more than the straight XY card 2ch recording I made that night.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »
Scott Brown mentioned a recording from the balcony of the Beacon (?) with 4022's spaced at the balcony lip, straight-forward. The results were supposed to be very impressive.
hearsay, but you might ping him about it.

i've run split at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC.  i did it for the 2-2-05 Warren Haynes and Friend's show and i think it sounds pretty nice

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »
I think that Paul tried to run split cards some at Rockygrass this year.  I think that his handle here is paulrennix.  Shoot him a PM and see if he'll float you a couple of samples.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 09:08:35 PM »
i've run split at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC.  i did it for the 2-2-05 Warren Haynes and Friend's show and i think it sounds pretty nice

split as in one on each side of the balcony area that juts forward from the sound board?!  that's a huge split!  did you set up on one side or the other or in the middle?  how much mic cable can you get away with before you run into a delay in signal?  sorry for all the ?'s that just put a picture in my head...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »

split as in one on each side of the balcony area that juts forward from the sound board?!  that's a huge split!  did you set up on one side or the other or in the middle?  how much mic cable can you get away with before you run into a delay in signal?  sorry for all the ?'s that just put a picture in my head...

i had one microphone on each side of the board (clamped to the first vertical iron bar on the outside left and outside right of the board).  i actually ran the cables around the side to my gear in the middle behind the board.  so the pre/ad/laptop were center behind the board.  i got away with 17 feet of cable, though it barely made it

at least i think that's how i did it.  i might have actually run the bag with pre/ad on the right side and just run a really long firewire cable to my laptop in the back of the board.  i know that's what i did for warren solo in june of that year

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com