Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's better than Zoom H4 with XLR ins?  (Read 3588 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
What's better than Zoom H4 with XLR ins?
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
looking for affordable 2-4 channel recorder with XLR inputs with decent preamps.  i dont see much that compares with the H4, but i expect youse guys know more than me about what is available and what sounds decent.

what is the best kind of portable setup for doing 2 track live recordings?  i do mostly small classical/chamber group stuff - no rock bands.
thanks.

jnorman34

Re: What's better than Zoom H4 with XLR ins?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
new zoom H4n?

used marantz 660 or 670?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
An H4 or unmodified 660 will probably prove too noisy for classical music.  Not sure if anyone really knows how well the H4n will perform.

Maybe look into the Fostex FR2-LE?  There's an ebay seller who will usually take a best offer that equates to $435 shipped.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »
Probably the best sound for the least money would be to purchase one of the used Sound Devices MP-2 preamps that's available in the Yard Sale section of this board, and connect it to an inexpensive recorder via line in.  You'd spend $400 on the preamp, and $300 for a recorder like the Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10.  

Flintstone

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:59:34 PM »
new zoom H4n?

used marantz 660 or 670?

For 4 channels you might consider the Edirol R4 or R44. The R4 uses an internal disc whereas it looks like the R44 uses flash media. The mic pres are fairly decent from what I hear, but I have not used one personally.

If you have a laptop you might consider getting a used RME multiface and getting the hammerfall pc card. This is a very reliable setup, plus the digicheck program that RME provides has an excellent RTA. I picked up a multiface and pc card for about $500 and this has been a workhorse setup for me. All of this can run off of batteries if need be. I forgot about the need for the mic preamps with this. Any good analog preamp would suffice. On the last project I ran 4 channels from a mackie mixer and 2 channels from a MIC2496 and sent the SPDIF to the multiface. But of course I needed AC power for the mackie. User fivefishdiy is working on a nice stereo preamp here too.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114576.15.html#lastPost

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:15:06 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »
Probably the best sound for the least money would be to purchase one of the used Sound Devices MP-2 preamps that's available in the Yard Sale section of this board, and connect it to an inexpensive recorder via line in.  You'd spend $400 on the preamp, and $300 for a recorder like the Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10  Tascam DR-1.

Flintstone

Fixed that for you.    ;)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
 :flipa:

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:35:21 AM »
 :smash:

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:51:17 PM »
what is the best kind of portable setup for doing 2 track live recordings? 

For this kind of open recording, if you scratch "portable", you have a lot more choices, like mentioned above (R44, lapppy taping etc).
If you will have access to AC powering and a workspace where you can put your gear, you should definitely consider larger boxes.

I don't know what you consider portable, but a flavor modded UA-5 + suitable bit bucket (maybe MTII for 24bit) might be a cheaper combination than anything else mentioned so far. What's your budget?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »
Maybe the new Marantz PMD661 would be worth considering?  Thread here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,112681.0.html

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
Probably the best sound for the least money would be to purchase one of the used Sound Devices MP-2 preamps that's available in the Yard Sale section of this board, and connect it to an inexpensive recorder via line in.  You'd spend $400 on the preamp, and $300 for a recorder like the Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10  Tascam DR-1.

Flintstone

Fixed that for you.    ;)

I was reading your review of the Tascam DR-1 over in its dedicated thread and downloaded a track of your Bob Dylan recording from TTD. After comparing it to one of my own recordings on the Edirol R-09HR, I decided I think both internal preamps sound very similar, but I like the R-09HR better. It just seems to be a little bit more detailed...just a personal opinion... :)

Now, if Sony simply sold the preamp they use in their Hi-MD recorders (like the RH1 or M100) as a single preamp, I would be all over that. Best sounding preamp in a "small recorder" ever. Without a doubt.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
looking for affordable 2-4 channel recorder with XLR inputs with decent preamps.  i don't see much that compares with the H4, but i expect youse guys know more than me about what is available and what sounds decent.

ANYTHING is better than the H4, especially if you won't be recording real loud stuff. I tried the XLR's on mine once (with a Rode NT4) recording something not too loud and I couldn't believe how noisy the recording was. I'm sure it would have sounded much better just using its internal mics (Which aren't bad if not recording super loud stuff).

Don't get an H4 and count on using its XLR inputs w/phantom power. If you insist on doing so, I've got one lying around I could make you a deal on............
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com