Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital recorder wishlist wanted  (Read 14688 times)

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
Re: Digital recorder wishlist wanted
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
RCA SPDIF In.  Seems to be the #1 request. 

maybe SPDIF out too, for Daisy Chaining?  (ie, like the old days with a buncha D8s daisy chained with Oade active cables).

9V PIP would be great for small mics.  I'm thinking this to be a small handheld unit, so 48V XLR etc. would be overkill (those folks would just use their own preamp and a/d and go digi in anyway).

Open Source Firmware, or Flash Upgradable, or just ask the Rockbox folks what they need to port Rockbox over......

Plus a Jedi stealth mode for sneaking it in, and maybe a Wook repelling force field......or maybe just something that won't trigger your standard metal detector.....
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
I'm not half as knowlegable as others here so my wish list is short and simple:

Small small small .. very small
No internal mics
No need for an AC-adapter, let it use batteries (AA or AAA)
Mini-XLR inputs perhaps? Or at least digital-in.

I'm sure there's much more, but I'll let the pro's on the forum handle this.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
Currious about why both a super small format and a digital input are important to many who have posted..

Using a digital input implies using extra equipment as well such as external preamps/AD-converters.  In that case a 'small as possible' form factor would seem less important to my thinking.  Sure, less size and weight is good, but need it really be as small as possible?  Throw in the desire for XLR connnectors and phantom power requirements and it becomes difficult to fit it all in a very small device.

I see two, seperate classes of device:
1) Slightly larger recorders with all the goodies- XLR's, phantom power, SPDIF, sync.
2) A small pocket recoder which assumes the elimination of all other boxes, but still supports external mics. (that would seem to imply including XLRs and phantom, but that makes the thing much bigger, especially so with multi-channel support, so sufficient PIP is a decent compromise for pocketability).

That is pretty much how the market has segmented already.  Within that framework, a manufacturer can play the low price game or the feature game (or both).   Multichannel recording capability in a qualilty handheld is one feature I've yet to see exploited and would love to see.  Seems like an opportunity to me.  I suppose digital input is scarce in handhelds too, but just seems less compelling to me.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:02 PM »
No internal mics, we all have our own.  I've been looking for one witout them, so other upgrades are included in the price and not the internal mics.  We all have our own mics anyways...

kirk97132

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »
Isn't this kinda putting the cart before the horse?  I mean they just released a bunch of new stuff and now they want input on what features it should have ???

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
...they just released a bunch of new stuff and now they want input on what features it the next product in development should have ???

FTFY

time moves on.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »
Yup. Product cycle development for this stuff is probably at least 12-18 months or so. So you'll have to realize that the DR-680, DR-2d etc started their life on the drawing board that long ago.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
I'll echo a lot of the comments here, and even order mine in priority/desire.

- STABLE!!! (One of the great reasons the MT2496 and MT2 are disliked)
- SPDIF in (bit accurate & syncs to the clock from the external source)

<snip>

In short, take a Sony PCM-M10 and add the SPDIF and I'd compromise. I'd personally pay up to the area of $450 for a unit that had all of the above.

x2

Currious about why both a super small format and a digital input are important to many who have posted..
It's about adding versatility. A stand-alone recorder that can also do transfers, or be the bit-bucket when running open, seems to be in high demand here. It's also about price. Why do I have to spend $600 for a D50 to get SPDIF in versus $275 for the M10 without? Seems like someone could make a solid unit with 24-bit SPDIF in to compete with the MT2.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline tardis71

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:08 AM »
Half the size of the M10
No frills....No mics, playback mini speaker etc..
16gb internal memory
Killer clean preamp
9v mic power
digi in/outs
long life on AAs
Remote with noiseless backlight full controls rec levels etc...

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 04:17:36 AM »
I see this thread diverging into two different camps.
One set of specs suitable for stealth gear, and a different for open (esp. multitrack).

..My understanding is that this comes to use when syncing more than two tracks, which hardly ever would be the case when stealthing.

I'm in the hardly ever camp I guess. 

I'd really like a simple, high-quality, palm-sized six track for surround recording.  Similar to the little 4 channel Zoom, but higher quality, two more tracks and mic/line inputs for all 6.

R-09 sized
3 stereo mini-jack inputs
5+VDC plug in power
SDHC non-proprietary memory
Standard NiMh batteries or disposables
Hold lock
24/48 file capability with actual 20 bit performance (skip the 96-192kHz marketing BS)

Bonus features-
Menu buried individual gain adjustment for each channel for level matching & calibration
Wired remote with Rec, Stop, Split, Meter & Global gain control

I'm ready to order Chris, thanks!
]

This. Right here. Cosign a million times.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
Chris,

Because there are many different items people are hot and cold about, at some point I'd love to hear why some of these requested items are attainable or not attainable. Knowing what can and cannot be done (reasonably and  or affordably) would help.

Some of the requested items seem very possible, and some not.

I think we have 3 camps out there:
1. The bigger non stealth rigs lots of bells and whistles, multitrack or not.
2. The smaller stealth rigs, portable and geared toward an easy simple high quality recording.
3. A very portable all in one unit. More of a combination of as many bells and whistles as possible with as little size sacrifice as possible.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
RCA SPDIF

Ditto.

Sounds like Tascam is ready to upgrade the DR-100.  (1) Add SPDIF.  (2) 4 AA batteries with longer recording time.  (3) Drop the noise floor to Sony level.  (4)  Match Line-In sound to Mic-In.  Mic-In always sounds better for some reason.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:28:51 PM by spyder9 »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »
ok here we go................IMO

this is easy...

and R9HR with the addition of a RCA or 1/8" digital input....and double the batterylife..
a nice extra would be Mic in would provide menu drivin adjustable plugin power from 5volt to 9volt...

and noise performance levels of an sd box....

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
howdy,

I would like the 2010 equivalent of the Sony TCD-5M: sturdy diecast frame, "D"-cells for long autonomy, simple user interface (coaxial pot for level setting, Sfernice conductive plastic preferred for long life), water resistant for outdoor use, analog backlit meters with LED peak indicators (or LED equivalent, see Sound Devices 552). The controls should be usable with gloves for people like me who record outdoors at -10 degrees. This requires that the knobs and buttons are spaced a few cm apart.

Those are my requirements, and I understand that my dream machine would set me back at least 1000$. But I would pay that sum for a good recorder (btw what is the price of the TCD-5M in 2010 Dollars or Euros?)

Greetings, Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
4 AA batteries with longer recording time.

I'm in the stealth camp, and maybe a minority here, but I see no advantage having a huge internal AA battery bay.
Also, consider that AA batteries are NiMH at best, which has a lower energy density than rechargeble flat Li-Ion/Li-poly cells.
As long as the battery stick is field-removable, I see no disadvantages with semi-proprietary flat lithium cells. They are smaller and last longer  - compared with the same cubic footprint of AA cells.
You can find generic third party batteries and chargers for pretty much every brand on the market. As long as Tascam would stay with any reasonably established form factor, you can get backup batteries for a few bucks:
http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_catref=1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_ssn=buyitnowhk&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

I've heard the arguments that AA can be found anywhere if you get stuck, and it's easier to stock up with AAs for a festival, but I'm not buying that as an argument to have an internal AA bay.

I've ran maybe 100 shows with my Iriver, and never once had a battery failure. I just bought a top of the line Cameron-Sino flat cell on ebay, and make sure I've charged it well in advance. This gives me 8-12hrs recording time, which is more than enough for me.

I If I was paranoid, I'd buy an external battery pack with replaceable AA cells and plug it into the DC jack. That way you're always prepared, without sacrificing valuable real estate in the main recorder unit.

Keep stealth stealth - and small! :-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:16:54 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com