Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H1  (Read 3665 times)

Offline HarpDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Zoom H1
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
Anyone tried one of these little suckers yet? They're only $100 and run for 10 hours on 1 aa battery. I wonder if the quality would be good enough to suffice for ste...lth?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom H1
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »
It probably sounds OK, but you'll always do better using a decent external mic.

Plus I think I read that it has the same problem that plagues the Zoom H4 and H2 (but not the H4n). At a very loud show you may get distortion because turning the record level below 100 to keep the meters from hitting 0 dB won't prevent a distorted recording (because the record level control comes after the ADC, a truly stupid design).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
Anyone tried one of these little suckers yet?

The answer to your question is probably "no" as you'll see on the Sweetwater site the following note -

"The new Zoom H1 Handy Recorder is scheduled for release on August 20."

Offline person

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:00:15 AM »
To answer an earlier question, I used this at a fairly standard rock-pub show alongside a H4. Check the levels beforehand to make sure I had headroom (the live meters are great!) but there was still brickwalling on the H1 but not the H4 (the H1 was a bit closer to stage, which may be the reason - can't be sure now). So yeah, the recording level being after the ADC is a bit... useless here. I'd be glad to be told it was a misconfiguration on my part, though, if anyone else has tried one of these.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »
To answer an earlier question, I used this at a fairly standard rock-pub show alongside a H4. Check the levels beforehand to make sure I had headroom (the live meters are great!) but there was still brickwalling on the H1 but not the H4 (the H1 was a bit closer to stage, which may be the reason - can't be sure now). So yeah, the recording level being after the ADC is a bit... useless here. I'd be glad to be told it was a misconfiguration on my part, though, if anyone else has tried one of these.
The recording level isn't after the ADC. A while ago in another thread on this forum there was a link to a thread on a different forum where the H1 was put through some analysis, I'm 99% sure the conclusion was that a recording level of 15-20 ish (I forget the exact number) was 0 gain. Anything below that is digital attenuation, and everything above up to 100 is internal pre-amp gain. Again, I forget the total amount of gain availible... 30-40 dB ish I think.

Considering the recording Level control is the only adjustment of levels (On the H2 you have a separate 3-step gain control, in addition to the post-ADC recording level - I will concede that this is a ridiculous design), then it cannot be post-ADC on the H1 because then there would be zero way to control the pre-amp gain. Which, considering that the input jack is both Line In and Mic In, is impossible.

If your recording was brickwalled it's because the internal mics were overloaded. I'd never use the internal mics of a sub $100 recorder in any situation unless absolutely necessary (never mind a high SPL situation). Even then, I'd assume it was going to turn out junk.

IIRC, the same 'analysis thread' indicated that the pre-amp gain between 20 and 36 was (relatively) noisy, but after 37 there's a sudden drop off in the noise level, and it's pretty clean from then up.

I own a H1 - I would never use the internal mics. In a real pinch, I would be willing to use the internal pre-amp. What I bought it for, however, was for use with an external pre-amp. As a Line In, ADC & Bit Bucket I see nothing wrong with it at all. I can't imagine that a decent external mic & pre will sound significantly worse going Line In on the H1 compared to Line In the more expensive recorders, and for such a low price, I can deal with flimsy build quality.

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Hi

I stealth with a H1, pulled 17 shows so far and and more than pleased with the results- only had one major overload, but the show was way heavy on bass/drums.

I go binaurals, 9v battery box.

You have to be a bit careful opening & closing the doors due to cheapo design, but it's excellent value for money

best part is the big red record button for ease of stealth
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:40:18 PM by kylieshotpants »

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:10:43 AM »
As a Line In, ADC & Bit Bucket I see nothing wrong with it at all.

"bit bucket" assumes you can feed the recorder wtih a digital stream. It's been said before, but a recorder that only offers analog input is not a bit bucket.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:07 AM »
As a Line In, ADC & Bit Bucket I see nothing wrong with it at all.

"bit bucket" assumes you can feed the recorder wtih a digital stream. It's been said before, but a recorder that only offers analog input is not a bit bucket.
I didn't mean those three things separately, I mean - as a Line In port followed by an ADC followed by the circuitry required to save the newly digital data to an SD card slot. By 'Bit Bucket' I meant the internal 'Bit Bucket', as in, the SD card saving circuitry which is directly connected to the ADC circuitry. I didn't mean Bit Bucket as a separate use.

Is there an accepted single-word term for that? A term for using a recorder as just a Line In port and everything which comes after it?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com