Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Run time for MicroTrack?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Run time for MicroTrack?
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
I am using the MT for the first time at the Mule show in Asheville this Friday and have a question about run times for it off the internal battery.  I will be using the S/PDIF input only; I am not using any of the mic preamps on it, nor will I be using the phantom power.  How long can I expect it to run if I use it as a "bit bucket."  I am using a 4GB Microdrive in it if that matters.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Run time for MicroTrack?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:27 PM »
I always use a small external battery box now, but I seem to remember getting just about 140-150 minutes on the battery with a 5gb microdrive.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jlykos

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
I always use a small external battery box now, but I seem to remember getting just about 140-150 minutes on the battery with a 5gb microdrive.

Is this run time with using the internal preamps and A/D, or do you have equipment running into it?  I would be running M270 > MiniMe > MT.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 05:23:16 AM »

Is this run time with using the internal preamps and A/D, or do you have equipment running into it?  I would be running M270 > MiniMe > MT.

The major drain is from those microdrives, they really suck down the juice.  Otherwise, you'd be getting 4-5 max hours running time with complact flash and top condition MT battery running LINE or SPDIF input.

Maybe consider using flash for this reason, or make up the difference in money saved with cheap Microdrive storage with now getting a robust external power solution like BC-MT good for 20+ hours mentioned in review at www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm  Using microdrive would drop run time to about 12+ hours.

I use both flash, and external power sled with MT deck.  I just do NOT trust that internal MT battery to be reliable enough not to have substantial external regulated 5 volt power available.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »

This was without running anything into it, The setup was AT 853> SP Battery Box>MT

If I use my UA-5, I always use external power just to be safe. I have a Kingston 2gb CF card, but to be honest I don't think I get much more battery time on it. One time I forgot to turn the external battery power on using the Kingston (I forgot on the first set, and then somehow forgot again on the second set) , and it was showing very low power after the show. Problem is I cannot remember which show or how long, but I haven't been to any shows recently longer than 150 minutes or so.

Like others, I am wary about the internal battery's run times. To me it is my only complaint about the unit, but it seems even in super stealth mode, I can work with the external battery pack, but it is a bit more hassle.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »
Well, I decided to set things up and tape my stereo.  I got about 2:20 on the MT until the battery meter got to the lowest level.  I would think that it would go for an extra 10 minutes or so, but I wouldn't want to push things.  I was running M270 > MiniMe > MT and using a 4GB MicroDrive in the MT.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
any links to good external batt packs for the mt, im going to check the remote power thread now  :laugh:
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »
Well, I decided to set things up and tape my stereo.  I got about 2:20 on the MT until the battery meter got to the lowest level.  I would think that it would go for an extra 10 minutes or so, but I wouldn't want to push things.  I was running M270 > MiniMe > MT and using a 4GB MicroDrive in the MT.

Pretty consistent with my findings. (140-150 minutes)  ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:39:19 PM »

MT deck is 'supposed' to record until battery gets so low that it automatically saves what's recorded so far, and then shuts down before battery is too low for doing this.

Using flash instead of microdrive should at least double the run time. 

'Pushin it' is likely the only way to know how much recording time the battery is really good for.  Battery level indicators are not always telling enough and sometimes hang at the lowest level for way longer than you'd think before dropping to the shutdown point. 

Only way to know is to let the deck shut down and look at the file lengths recorded before this occured. 

Full run-down-to-shut down testing will NOT shorten the battery life in significant way, but over charging (numerous topping off cycles with already fully charged battery) should be avoided. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bubbybooshay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
thanks for the info guysonic
mk41, c4's > nbox, Lunatec V3 > mt24/96, hdp2, sd722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com