Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Merits of the 722?  (Read 13920 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: The Merits of the 722?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
Too many to list really. Most I can think of are listed above. Top notch customer support and a rock solid unit all around.

I can walk into a show and be setup and running in 30 seconds and never have to worry about a thing.

I have not had a single issue, I can trust it will do what it is suppost to do.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Hatfield

• Trade Count: (0)
  • blue light is rolling in between the clouds
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
Top notch customer support and a rock solid unit all around.

WORD!

But really, the customer support is great.  It is nice to have such a light weight unit to carry around as well.
AKG 480+ (ck61,ck62,ck63) > Oade m148 > SD 722
AKG (ck61,ck62,ck63) > JKLabs ECMS-22 > SD722
Where'd I go, why'd I go, I don't know, musta been zydeco  :spin:
uh....Martin, you are in charge of all handjobs and blowjobs.
see rule 26 in the Dirty South manual.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
My bag ways ~5 lbs. with xtra battery and an xtra pair of caps. Plus patchers don't always carry a BNC 8)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 03:56:42 PM »
Someone mentioned stealthing with the 722 ... really? Is this indeed possible? I ouldn't call it pocket-size, from the dimensions I just found online, but maybe my pockets are small. 
I'm used to using the lower cost/smaller consumer devices (Sharp MD, then Microtrack), and I know, they aren't in the same league at all on many fronts.

Another question, would CSB's,HEB 4060's, or other small mic pairs still need their own battery box, o can theSD722 power them properly on it's own? That would really make it a all-in-one solution for me.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
Stealthing it is not hard if you are in a situation where you can wear a small bag.

I own a 722 because it's the easiest and most reliable way to stealth to 24/96. If there is another 24/96 all-in-one that I missed it's probably because the 722 does the job so well I've just assumed another box can't top it in terms of ease of use.

Presently, I'm unable to boot my 722 up with either of my batteries. I contacted Sound Devices about this sudden inability for the unit to power up and they want me to confirm it by ordering a 3rd battery and seeing if the problem is reproducible. If my new battery is able to power the 722 then I will be concerned about the reliability because the 2 batteries I had been using were relatively new and it would be too much of a coincidence for them both to die on the same day.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
Stealthing it is not hard if you are in a situation where you can wear a small bag.

I own a 722 because it's the easiest and most reliable way to stealth to 24/96. If there is another 24/96 all-in-one that I missed it's probably because the 722 does the job so well I've just assumed another box can't top it in terms of ease of use.

I use the 722 for open taping, no pockets big enough to wear it.  I often run it parallel with the Sonosax MiniR82, which is stealthable (both of these do 24/192 as well, by the way).  You pay a lot to get the reduction in size, but then you also get 8 channels (4 analog).  Very little chatter about it even in the video production Usenet group, but I love it.

Jeff

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »

I use the 722 for open taping, no pockets big enough to wear it.  I often run it parallel with the Sonosax MiniR82, which is stealthable (both of these do 24/192 as well, by the way).  You pay a lot to get the reduction in size, but then you also get 8 channels (4 analog).  Very little chatter about it even in the video production Usenet group, but I love it.

Jeff

Yes, I did know about the Sonosax but price was an issue for me. I'm hoping they one day come out with the 2 channel version. It's good to hear the 8 channel is working out for you.

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
I was also in very early on the 722... had 1.01 firmware when it arrived....  I ran it for a year or so and had absolutely no issues other than one overheating problem in 100+ degree stealth at a festival that was corrected by a firmware fix a week or two later.

Since selling that unit I have run the gamut of recording gear and considered many options before ending up where I am now...

When I sold the 722 I had planned to go multi-channel wiht a Foxtex or DEVA... that was not to be as my wife got pregnant and we now have a little goy soon to be 1yr old...

With the multi-channel out I purchased a HD-P2...serial #032 or something very low from Oade and was willing to wait for Mods but I never got comfortable with the unit, the sound was not bad and I understand that now the mods make them sound even better..... for a grand a pretty nice box, just not my favorite.

After that I ran a V3 > Microtracker and while I loved the V3 (previously owned one) the microtracker did not cut it...

Next I was running an un-modded R4 - both with a MP-2 in front and without.... With the MP-2 I really liked it but at that point the R4 was just a bit bucket... without the pre-amp the sound was horrible!!!!  That unit belonging to another memeber here has since been modded by Bussman and I cannot stress enough how much the mod improoved the sound...  +T Bussman

I am now back to Sound Devices - running a 702 and loving it... my u89's are moving to a new home and have been replaced by DPA 4021's... my bag is under 5 pounds and totally mobile so I can have my rig with me when I travel anywhere...

So - IMO - if you have the scratch, the simplicity, consistency and solid preformance of the SD 7xx units is worth the extra sacrifice if you are capable...  In the end, everyone's ears here things a little differently and everyone's budget is not the same...  My reccomendation, try to match your equipment, it sucks to run great mics into a crappy pre-amp, it also sucks to run crappy mics into a great deck...  Match gear, ears, and budget and be happy, experiment, borrow, trade, that is what makes all this fun. 

For what it is worth - If I had my choice, where money was not a real factor and open taping was allowed I would probably go to DPA Large Diaphrams (4) or (6) and a Deva...  The rig would still be portable and yield extrordinary sound...  Reality - I will be thrilled to own a 744T or the new Sonosax SX-R4 in a year or so and possibly a spare set of mics - maybe 4023's to get into multi-channel....

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline meatling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 06:58:25 AM »
I wonder what is the logic (or maybe the primary reason) used to justify paying over $2300 when there are seemingly comparable high quality options out there for far less cheese. 

Funny, now that you mention it, I remember when I got my Marantz PMD671.

I was thinking: "Oh my, cheap plastic casing, flimsy parts, this thing looks like they've been cutting corners left and right to keep cost down. Yuck. Why oh why doesn't anyone make a recorder with the build quality of, say, a Nikon F5? I'd even be willing to pay double the price of a PMD671 for that..."

Now that wouldn't be the 722 (apples and oranges due to the built-in harddisk), but it looks like the 702 fits that description pretty well.

m

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 11:24:51 AM »
I've read that metering thing before. I don't get it. I think they are super. Far easier to adjust than any other recorder I've owned. Someone please explain to me the problem with them.

As far as sound quality. I am so happy with the pre in my 722 that I am seriously considering letting my V3 go. The 722 is the BEST all in one box. Sure it's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I almost bought a Marantz portable cassette recorder a long time ago. Thank God I bought a D5 instead ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »
I have said it before..the bashing on the sound quality of the 722 is overblown and a bit of piling on.  I dont doubt that some folks hear the difference, but I think some of the bashing comes from folks who couldnt tell the difference in a blind comparison.  As for the metering...it is slightly worse than the grace design products, but above or in line with pretty much anything else on the market.  And once you get used to it, it is extremly easy to use.

The bottom line on the 722 imo is it is the only box where you can get to a single unit in the chain and get really great sound.  Add to it the build quality and the fact that it is truly idiot proof and you really get what you pay for.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
" i wouldnt take the 671 to the...south american rain forests..."

Actually, the 671 works quite well in the dust and dampness of the rainforest.  A Venezuelan ornithologist friend has one, and, apart from the miserably short life of the internal AA batteries, the 671 works just fine in tropical field conditions.

That said, the 671 went on the shelf when my friend got a 722.

Flintstone

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 12:27:09 PM »
metering is a non issue when you have used the recorder in the field.  anyone who has used the 722 for any length of time can get perfect levels...so the meters on the V3 (which are admittedly better) are only an advantage in the short time it takes to get used to the metering on the 722.

as for the sound..the only thing that i have heard better (and yes I have heard dougs mod boxes in some recordings) is adding the v2/v3 pre in front of the 722 and also the mytek boxes.  Nothing else is better than the 722 standalone to my ears (without taking into account the way upper end of stuff, the portable sax, etc.)  And while the addition of a v2/v3 or a mytek would be fantastic, the marginal gain in sound wasnt worth the increased weight in my bag, batteries, cables, and another point of failure. 

This shouldnt surprise anyone though that I like the 722 as a standalone as I loved the MP-2
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:29:02 PM by nickgregory »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
Another perspective.. I find the v3 meters fairly useless compared to the 722.  I mean, it doesn't even have peak hold!

The v3 meters are way too bright in tape from seat situations and cannot be adjusted. I have to tape over all the v3 LEDs to avoid complaints from people sitting around me.  I also tape over all but the last few meter LEDs on the 722 but they just aren't nearly as bright and annoying as the v3 LEDs.

Another big advantage of the 7xx is taking camcorder batteries.  They have been flawless for me.  I hate the  thought of dealing with 8 NIMH AA batteries..  Individual AA cells which must be stored so they don't short, hassles to change, kept at a similar level of charge, etc. External battery packs are a hassle and whenever you run power over a cable you diminish reliability.

Also, the 7xx displays actual battery voltage.  That is a hugely useful feature for me and I wish every recorder had it. At any time I know exactly what my voltage is and by experience I know where it should be and how much general time I have left.

It'd be interesting to hear a standalone acm 671 vs. 722 comp. Though it would have to be loud material because I don't think the ACM has enough gain for quiet material like jazz, folk, classical, etc?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »
metering is a non issue when you have used the recorder in the field.  anyone who has used the 722 for any length of time can get perfect levels...so the meters on the V3 (which are admittedly better) are only an advantage in the short time it takes to get used to the metering on the 722.
one shouldn't have to "get used to the levels" imo.  either they're adequate or they aren't

well given that definition, the SBM-1 was pretty useless givens its "flawed levels"

to each their own...as I said before the levels thing and sound is overblown, at the end of the day I still prefer the 722 over anything that doesnt involve multiple boxes...but that is just my opinion...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com