Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)  (Read 14239 times)

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
this baby will run on a dvd battery too correct
DC IN 9-16v/1.5A
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »
^^^^
What's up with the CTRL/SYNC 1/8" jack?  Remote?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »
Why does edirol put an ass-backwards power plug (polarity wise) on every thing they make?
Just to be different? ::)

This does look like an interesting unit.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »
^^^^
it allows you to sync two units together.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »
^^^^
it allows you to sync two units together.

ahhhh.  I wish my two R-09's had that feature.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
I'm really hoping that the pre-amps on this thing are worth a damn.  I'd LOVE to be able to run mics > R-44 as an open rig.

nothing > nada > R-09

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
Just from the looks of this new unit it bears a striking resemblance to the R4 both from a schematics and from a connection standpoint.  Price point as well.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
Anyone garner anything from the block diagram?

http://www.edirol.com/images/stories/products/r44/r-44_block_diagram.pdf

Not enough to be sure, but I just compared it to the one for the R-4 Pro and it looks the same with respect to digital I/O.  I also noticed that they do not seem to use digi+analog as a selling point in the 'brochure' for the R-4 Pro... :hmmm:  Jury's probably still out until they release the PDF of the manual.

Yep, it looks like from the block diagram that you should be able to take digital in for channels 1-2 and then use channels 3-4 for analog in.  Not enough detail in the block diagram to tell if the R44 will generate its clock from the incoming digital signal though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to re-sample, still need to figure that one out.

Looks to be a pretty nice 4ch machine. :hmmm:
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Roving Sign

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »

Not enough to be sure, but I just compared it to the one for the R-4 Pro and it looks the same with respect to digital I/O.  I also noticed that they do not seem to use digi+analog as a selling point in the 'brochure' for the R-4 Pro... :hmmm:  Jury's probably still out until they release the PDF of the manual.

Yep, it looks like from the block diagram that you should be able to take digital in for channels 1-2 and then use channels 3-4 for analog in.  Not enough detail in the block diagram to tell if the R44 will generate its clock from the incoming digital signal though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to re-sample, still need to figure that one out.

Since they are using wordclock to create inter-unit sync...Im thinking the dig in will not be resampled. It almost seems the same.

I'm going to guess that the 1/8 stereo mini has one channel word clock and the other channel carries the remote signaling -

I wonder if you could feed the 1/8 sync/remote a spdif signal and have it use that as the clock...???

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
i read somewhere that the 1/8 sync does not ness mean both units will start recording at the same exact time/point
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »

Since they are using wordclock to create inter-unit sync...Im thinking the dig in will not be resampled. It almost seems the same.

I'm going to guess that the 1/8 stereo mini has one channel word clock and the other channel carries the remote signaling -

I wonder if you could feed the 1/8 sync/remote a spdif signal and have it use that as the clock...???

Ed, Let me be the first to endorse you sluttiness. Looks like a tight box. You should jump on it when they start shipping.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
i read somewhere that the 1/8 sync does not ness mean both units will start recording at the same exact time/point

From Edirol:

Capture eight channels by linking two units

The Control Sync terminal enables synchronized operation of 2 units. Control the second unit from the master by simply connecting two with a stereo mini cable. The master unit can remotely control REC standby, REC start and REC stop of the slave unit.  This function enables 8-channel recording in a compact space and at an affordable price.

Roving Sign

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »

I think the emphasis is on "exact" - I cant see that being too much of an issue for most tapers...

Roving Sign

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »

Ed, Let me be the first to endorse you sluttiness. Looks like a tight box. You should jump on it when they start shipping.

Thanks for the endorsement! Like I dont have enough gear that I havent used yet!

...I was about ready to move away from 4 track for awhile and grab FR2-LE - but maybe I should hold for some initial reports on this unit...

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
The block diagram shows that the line out goes through an AD/DA cycle. You would think that it would be a cost savings to them if they made the line out come directly from the pres before they AD stage. It also looks like the Digi out is a summation of all 4 channels.

It looks interesting. I will be staying tuned to see how this all pans out. For the time being, i'm pretty happy with my busman most FR2-LE
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com