Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first recording with my PMD 620 ( not happy at all)  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: My first recording with my PMD 620 (I'm VERY happy now)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Really? So I wasn't push the internal pre, right? Actually I was using the Line In unity.
It's strange though. The R-09 display shows the Rec Level from 0 ( -30db)  to 30 (0 db) ( unity around 10 or something). With the PMD 620, the display shows the Rec Levels from -30 db to 0 db. OK it's the same, but it's kinda confusing at the first time you have to mess around with it. You have to think different not to make mistakes. Assuming that, the -9 db unity (PMD 620) would be like 21 on the R-09. Very different.
So, if I'm not going crazy, only when you set your levels above -9db you actually add gain, right? You only have 9 steps for gain and 21 for attenuation. Am I right?

Here is what he actually said.  As you can see, it is just a guestimate.  But he has taken one apart for a closer examination (there are pics somewhere on here), so maybe he has a better idea about this now...

Quote from: guysonic
Making assumption that full scale signal input is related to power supply rails of the recorder, and limited by those rails, and not having actual circuit diagram to verify actual rails, or having taken the deck apart to actually measure supply voltages with a meter (as yet), please consider the following a good guess.

With deck having 5 volt internal supply, assume maximum input to be ~+3-4dBu signal input.  620 set at -21 dB LINE input gain setting allows +16 dBu input for full VU reading, so assume setting LINE input gain 12 dB steps to - 9 dB is LINE mode unity gain setting.

Thanks ;). Well, I'm not sure if I got that right. Most of the times this technical talk sounds like chinese to my ears. I'm trying to make contact with guysonic himself. Will see what happens.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: My first recording with my PMD 620 ( not happy at all)
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:03 AM »

OK, checked my notes this time, and seems 620 has two settings with good chances these are unity gain.  One is like I posted in LINE input mode with somewhere at -9 to -11 dB REC adjustment setting.  This is were an input of +3.8 dBu gives near max 0 dB VU indication

The other is in MIC input set at -29 dB with REC gain all-the-way down to -29 dB adjustment, just one step before MUTE.  And again, this is were an input of +3.8 dBu gives near max 0 dB VU indication.

This also indicates that with most all microphones, using 620's MIC input at -24 dB (menu preset) will handle strongest mic level output signals without fear of mic pre 1st stage input clipping. 

So I suggest using MIC input with all mics, and LINE input only if running an external preamplifier.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »

OK, checked my notes this time, and seems 620 has two settings with good chances these are unity gain.  One is like I posted in LINE input mode with somewhere at -9 to -11 dB REC adjustment setting.  This is were an input of +3.8 dBu gives near max 0 dB VU indication

The other is in MIC input set at -29 dB with REC gain all-the-way down to -29 dB adjustment, just one step before MUTE.  And again, this is were an input of +3.8 dBu gives near max 0 dB VU indication.

This also indicates that with most all microphones, using 620's MIC input at -24 dB (menu preset) will handle strongest mic level output signals without fear of mic pre 1st stage input clipping. 

So I suggest using MIC input with all mics, and LINE input only if running an external preamplifier.

Thanks a lot for your reply. At first, I was thinking that there was something wrong with my PMD 620 or my BB. Even with my Rec Levels at -10 or less I just couldn't get a decent recording level ( Line In), even taping loud bands. That's why I've moved to
Mic In ( -24 db attenuation preset).
Thanks one more time ;D

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »

Pardon my lack of knowledge. What you're saying is that I'm only adding gain if I set my Rec Level ( Line In)
in the -9db to 0db region? Is that it? On the other hand I'm assuming that from -9db to -30db I'm only attenuating the signal.
Thanks in advance ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »

Pardon my lack of knowledge. What you're saying is that I'm only adding gain if I set my Rec Level ( Line In)
in the -9db to 0db region? Is that it? On the other hand I'm assuming that from -9db to -30db I'm only attenuating the signal.
Thanks in advance ;D

That sums it up correctly.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »
Thanks a lot guysonic ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com