Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R 09 w/ transcend 4gb sdhc class 2 problems  (Read 6011 times)

Offline chronictonicbear

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
R 09 w/ transcend 4gb sdhc class 2 problems
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
so i got a couple of 4gb sdhc transcend cards from newegg to use in my r09 & i am having major malfunctions while testing them at home. i have the lateset firmware 1.20 installed. when i first loaded the card the r09 didn't even recognize the card, displaying "no card". after a couple tries it would regognize & format in the r09. then i tried recording, it recorded about 20min then i stopped to test writing multiple tracks then i then started getting card error displayed on the screen & i was unable to format, record or play. repeated attempts proved varied results, it would sometimes start recording then stop & display card error or when i stopped recording to record another track it would go back to displaying card error or no card & not allow me to perform any functions. i am still going to continue testing. i am just puzzelled with a variety of posts here with completely contradicting views some say they've had great results & other the exact opposite with the cards i'm using. does transcend not get along with edirol? i'm just fishing for any insight or experience others have had, thanks bear

Offline JNT

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: R 09 w/ transcend 4gb sdhc class 2 problems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »
You might want to check and make sure the R09 is compatible with SDHC cards.  Some older devices can use SD cards including a 4gb SD card but not the SDHC type.

Edit: looks like they are compatible with SDHC cards.  You may want to do a search including this thread. http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83487.0.html

Joe
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:47:40 PM by JNT »
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:58:53 AM »
Just to make sure, the first thing you do with a new card is format inside the deck.  Then everything should work as expected. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline chronictonicbear

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:13:04 AM »
yeah i got sdhc because edirol claims r09 to be compliant & everything leads me to beleave its better than standard sd. & yes the very first thing i tried to to was to format card in r09 & like a said in my origional post at first the r09 wouldnt even recognize the card, let alone allow me to format. does trascends quality control suck? i've read a couple rants on this board aout it. it puzzels me because there are so many people claiming no problems????

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:39:13 PM »
yeah i got sdhc because edirol claims r09 to be compliant & everything leads me to beleave its better than standard sd. & yes the very first thing i tried to to was to format card in r09 & like a said in my origional post at first the r09 wouldnt even recognize the card, let alone allow me to format. does trascends quality control suck? i've read a couple rants on this board aout it. it puzzels me because there are so many people claiming no problems????

I've purchased and tested (3) 4-GIG and (1) 8-GIG Transcend SDHC cards with no problems formating these using 1.20 firmware.  Can't say I've filled one up completely, but not expecting problems with the ones already tested.   
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline chronictonicbear

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
guy, what type of testing did you do & how extensive? i've tried 2 4gb cards & both prove same unsatisfactory results

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09:34 AM »
guy, what type of testing did you do & how extensive? i've tried 2 4gb cards & both prove same unsatisfactory results

Same 'testing' as most recordists with putting new SDHC card into R-09 deck and formatting, then going out to record something that's later transferred with USB cable into laptop for edit. 

I've had no issues with Transcend being reliable for this purpose.  It may also be that production runs vary in certain performance/reliability characteristics, but hard to imagine what could cause several new 'out of the box' cards  to not format. 

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
I recently got a Kingston 4gb SDHC class 4 card and it works fine right out of the box - I haven't formatted it in the R09, but left it recording until it filled up. The only thing I've noticed- when powering up it says "no card" for about 3 seconds, then recognizes it - I guess it's 'reading' the card in those 3 seconds? I don't think my standard 2GB card had this delay.

Offline chronictonicbear

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »
after many attempts with a couple transcend cards i went out & bought a sandisk 4gb sdhc card & it works flawlessly right out of the box. no problems formatting, recording multiple tracks, filling up the entire card, seemless splits, or transferring.  ;D so the poorly manufactured transcend cards will go back to newegg (unfortunetly at a 15% restocking fee + s&h) transcend should have better quality control with thier products. what good is a cheap whatever if it doesn't work? i would not recomend to buy anything from transcend unless you don't care to hear or see the information (or have it work at all in the first place). i just paid newegg over $20 so transend could piss me off, good deal right?  ;D

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
Sorry to hear of your problems with the transcend cards. I have used nothing but them with my R09 with out an problems(since the firmware upgrade). Most others here will most likely say the same.

+T for your effort.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »

just a personal opinion... and ain't worth nothing... but having worked in the electronics manufacturing biz, and having the following info on the web sort of confirm my suspicion... my guess is that saying that "such and such card works"... or "this one doesn't"... can unfortunately only be used as a guideline... because, while the outside may be the same, the contents may be different between "identical" cards...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

How Can I Be Sure the Card I Buy is the Same One Tested in this Report?

This is an important question, since the companies whose products are featured in this database are free to change the components in their memory cards at any time. Outfits that source cards from another manufacturer may change manufacturers several times a year, or even draw from several manufacturers simultaneously. And unless the model name or some obvious identifying feature of the card changes too, it can be difficult to know whether the card you might select is substantially similar to the card tested here.

Fortunately, some CompactFlash and SD companies place a unique identifier on the card - a card series number, for instance - that is a reliable descriptor of the key components in the card, as long as you know how to interpret the identifier.

Unfortunately, not all companies incorporate a unique identifier, including some that should, so matching a card in your hand to one in this database with 100% certainty won't be possible with some brands.

Here are some tips to help you determine if what you're buying is comparable to what we tested. Not all cards with unique identifiers are discussed; my hope is that this will be sufficient information to get you started in comparing the cards in the database with cards in the marketplace.

The web page also give a good insight into the flash memory biz by showing some exerpts from a Lexar10-K filing... on topic and an interesting read.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:01:04 PM »
I bought two Transcend 4gb SDHC Class 2 cards for my R-09 and tried to use them for recording AoD last night. My daughter had used one of them to record voice and it worked fine for that, but when recording music I got a SD card error message and it stopped recording after about 10 mins. I inserted a brand new card and started recording again and after about 25 mins. I got the same SD card error message and it stopped again. I also have two Transcend 8gb compact flash cards/150X speed that I've used a few times and when recording at 24/48 in my HD-P2 @ Mtn Jam I had no problem with them the week before last, but previously on two occassions when I've tried to record shows at 24/96 I got buffer overrun errors and it locked up. All of these cards were formatted in the decks that they were used in. I'm of the opinion that these cards are terrible for music recording and I'm sorry i've listened to the people who've fluffed them here on the boards. If you want one guys opinion on this brand of cards after multiple errors on two different types of cards I'd say that they have serious speed issues and I'd say DON"T BUY THEM! I don't really care that a few people here have had some luck with them, I've heard way more people in the field say that they've had problems with them and to stay away from them. Many more people than have posted the few positive responses that you'll read here on the boards. Save your money and buy a SanDisk or Kingston card. STAY AWAY from Transcend! They SUCK for this purpose!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:30:10 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 06:27:14 AM »
my 4GB SD(HC) SANDISK cards work flawlessly. Never had any error.
;)

http://geizhals.at/a206683.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:29:11 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 03:36:36 AM »
Sorry to now realize internal controller IC's used inside these cards can change without a card manufacture giving notice.  This might alter how the card works or not for some applications.  So buying a brand/model from someones good experiences may not hold true over time.

See this reference: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.274 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com