Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trocadero questions  (Read 2400 times)

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Trocadero questions
« on: March 16, 2004, 12:40:50 PM »
Hey all, not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes anyway.  I've never been to the Trocadero in Philly, but I'm going this Saturday to see and possibly tape the Steve Kimock Band (no flames, please, I know he's not well liked around here, but I like his music).  What I'm looking for is, what's the taping scene like in terms of vantage points?  Can you tape from the floor?  From the balcony?  FOB?  I've heard security can be pretty rough in there as well, so if anyone has first-hand experience taping there, please let me know the skinny.

Thanks!

Keith

Offline naylor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re:Trocadero questions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 01:15:24 PM »
I recently stealthed a show there, and it was a bit tougher than what you'd expect at a bar/club place like that.  Security gave thorough searches at the door, and there were several guys standing throughout the club, watching people (including from the balcony).  The bathroom was pretty much the worst place that I've ever set up my gear, with no privacy whatsoever.  But once I was set up, the night was a breeze.  The PA was setup so low for that show that taping from the balcony would have been a waste, really.  I would recommend running DFC on the floor, in front of the SBD.  I can't tell you what to expect as far as open taping goes, but I hope that gives you an idea at any rate.  Peace.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:21:04 PM by naylor »

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 03:10:38 PM »
Thanks Eric, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I wish I knew what the place looked like and how it was configured, and to whether or not I should bring my stand in, or just my Manfrotto super-clamp...hmm.  Decisions, decisions...

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
only been there a couple of times.
usually the TS is right in front of the sbd on the floor.

I have boomed mics from the balcony over the sbd and it sounds great up there as well

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 04:31:23 PM »
Run on the floor, right in front of the sbd.  I've run there and up in the balcony and the floor definitely sounds better.  Run your stand high - about 10'-12' - even with the top of the PA speakers.  Cards and hypers both sound good.  I typically use hypers x/y 90*.

They'll search you at the door, but for taper-friendly bands you will have no problem getting gear in.  FYI, the bar upstairs has a superior drink selection.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 05:07:11 PM »
ditto what craig and luvean said....on the floor in front of soundboard, then hit the balcony for extra-cirricular activities (ie drinks)

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 06:10:22 PM »
thanks y'all, I appreciate all the great info, this is real helpful.  I'd +T all of ya but I'm not eligible yet!  But I'm gettin' there.

Thanks again.

peace,
Keith

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 03:25:47 PM »
one of my top ten shows ever was at the troc - tapes didn't trun out good, though. back when i was a patcher, and d00d i patched out of was brickwalling his d8.

Offline pnobles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 08:10:42 PM »
one of my favorite philly indoor venues.  fun to tape there.  
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 10:14:27 AM »
fyi, Bob Dylan is playing there wed 3/31.  tix onsale this sat 10am only at the Troc box office.  Somebody better get on this!  I'll be in NYC for ABB, so I can't wait in line.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com