Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: House of Blues Chicago  (Read 4403 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
House of Blues Chicago
« on: April 06, 2004, 11:53:26 AM »
Does anyone have experience taping at the HOB Chicago?  I'm going for KDTU on apr 20th and would much appreciate hearing anyones experiences there.  Any kind of a heads up would be great.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re:House of Blues Chicago
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 02:36:54 PM »
Taped there over New Year's this past year and didn't have any problems whatsoever getting in. Some people were getting the full wand and patdown, then empty pockets, wand and patdown again, but I was able to walk right in with a bag and stand. One of the local crew came by between sets to ask me what I was doing; I told him the band (Guster) allowed it and he said he'd be right back...never came back. The house guy later told me I couldn't tape because the show was being broadcast locally on FOX, so I ran at head height instead and he was too busy to notice. Great-sounding room, imho.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »
I've taped there, very awesome room to be sure, you have three taping options:  (1) balcony, low and very wide and is a popular taping location, (2) front of room/middle of dance floor, seen people record Karl at that location before and neither the band nor the venue cared but no protection whatsoever, (3) back of dancefloor where there is a wall that separates the dancefloor from the upper level/bar area overlooking the dancefloor and stage, the wall provides protection and is where I suggest you go, but beware of the balcony overhanging it though (echos),Grider

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:02:56 PM »
Ok... now I'm pumped!!! Thanks guys.  I have a dinner reservation at HOB for earlyer that evening for mic stand girl (the gf) and I.  I'll try to see if I can get someone to let me into the room early to check it out, and form a game plan.  That always works for me in small venues, but I'm sure they've "heard it all" at HOB.  I've read here that the nt5's don't do good from a distance, so I may shoot for the floor, but I don't know if I want to test MSG's ability to be a blocker... she's about 5'1 and a wus (damn cute though)!  The echo chamber route sounds least attractive to me, but it was suggested to me by doug on the oade board when I   posed this question for a similar situation (I pussed out and took a board patch at that venue) that I use spaced cards at about 60 degrees and 24-36" spacing.  That means I either use my junkyard enginereing skills, or buy a bigass stereo bar I may never use again.  One way or another, I guess we'll see what these NT5s will do in a nice big room... I'm anxious to go mic only for once (I usualy do a matrix w/ mics on stage).  Maybe if I pull a decent recording, people around here will be less apt to shit on the rodes!!! :splat:
     Man If I had to pay for all the free advice I've gotten from here and the oade sight... I'd be friggin broke.  Thanks again guys!

Matt

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 04:29:02 PM »
 the floor is nuts which it will be rest assured you will pull a fine recording positioned against the back wall, just keep your mics low enough that no sound bounces off the balcony into the rode's, you can listen to my most recording from there by checking my 11-12-03 recording of Sound Tribe Sector 9 now on archive.org, I was set up directly beneath the balcony on the back all and the recording sound great

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 04:53:28 PM »
I was just doing that!  I will check it out.  I found a few other KDTU recordings as well, and another show with octava mks at 30' back (I've heard peole compare the octava's to the nt5's)... I'm going to make a little sampler for myself.  I suppose if someone was going to get negative effects from that situation it would be with a bass heavy show like sts9...  I will most definately check it out.  Thanks again.

Matt

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 05:52:37 PM »
I second the back wall by SBD spot. FOB at the HOB can sound killer but is a MAJOR pain in the ass to defend (HOB floor gets PACKED!!!!!) , plus you run a higher risk of having someone chatting away right next to you. Also, the wall spot is not really that far back from the sweet spot on the floor.

HOB chicago has an excellent PA system, you can pull some great tapes there!!

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 07:10:45 PM »
FWIW, I've heard some Rode NT2's and I think they sound very nice! I almost picked up a pair before getting my AKG's -- you can't beat the price on Rode mics.

EDIT: I'll be there for the Greyboy Allstars in May.... can't wait!!  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 07:14:27 PM by stejampzy »
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 08:13:03 PM »
I just d/l's keller 3-1-04 from the archive to get a listen to the NT5's I had heard a few NT4 recordings (same caps) before buying these, but ultimately I bought them because they are matched, and could opperate on 18v phantom.  My original intention in getting into taping was to do matrix recordings through my mxb1002 (18v phantom on dc and 24v phantom on ac).  I may still do primarily that, and the Rodes are fantastic so far for that purpose.  However the more small/med venue aud shows I listen to, the more I appreciate the sound of a quaity mic recording.  For now I'm going to fight off the upgrade bug, and play with these.  This will also be my first time using my UA-5... I'm anxious to see what I can do!
Thanks to all who helped!!!!

Matt

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 11:46:24 PM »
One other thing if you're considering the middle of the dance floor - once things get going the floor tends to have a bounce to it....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 08:56:53 AM »
...checking my 11-12-03 recording of Sound Tribe Sector 9 now on archive.org...

Wow Chris,
That is a fantastic recording!!!  I think I'll have a "warm glass of SHUT THE HELL UP!" and take your initial advice.  If I pull a recording anywhere near as good as this I will be very pleased!  Thanks for the help.  I'll set up just like you said.
Matt

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 09:37:43 AM »
Ya know, I've never been to the HOB, its like getting to the aragon from my place, tons of traffic and 52 blocks worth of lights
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 10:03:33 AM »
This will be my first time as well.  I've heard nothing but good about shows there.  I'm pumped!  I'm comming from Kenosha, so I will surely be into some fun traffic... always worth it for a Chicago venue though.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 10:15:50 AM »
Matt - yer from Ktown?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 10:30:51 AM »
This will be my first time as well.  I've heard nothing but good about shows there.  I'm pumped!  I'm comming from Kenosha, so I will surely be into some fun traffic... always worth it for a Chicago venue though.

Depends on what venue. What are taking to get to there 294 to 90?
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com