Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wavelab post prod Q  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Wavelab post prod Q
« on: April 08, 2004, 01:19:02 PM »
Along this wonderful path of taping I have been attepting to find the "sweet spot" that is my configuration and gain setting. This obviously is effected by venue type and band genre (sound) and volume but its still a work in progress.

My first couple of shows were good but lacked in something that I know think is my configuration. But my question is this:

How in wavelab can I
A. Make a show that was "bass heavy" be less so
B. increase the overall volume of a show
C. Equalize the show (normalize right, but I hear no diff. Maybe I need better playback)
D. and lastly, upon analysis what do I want the gain to be (0db?) or the peaks.

Thank you and rock on with your bad selves!!  :)

Offline drumminj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • my photos
Re:Wavelab post prod Q
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »
A) either with EQ or a multi-band compressor.  The Waves plugins have both a paragraphic EQ and the C4 mutli-band compressor (which can also be used to EQ).  

B) There's an option to "apply gain"...under the 'Process' pulll-down, I think.  You can get the peak level, then apply that much gain, or a little less if you dont' want to peak at 0dB. I guess, in the past (may not be the case anymore) that some CD players had problems with levels that peaked at 0dB, so some recommend peaking at -0.2, or thereabouts.

Instead of applying Gain, I use the Waves L1 Maximizer to do this, as it will attenuate the signal if you clip, rather than giving distortion, but that's probably frowned upon by most.

C)  If by "equalize" you mean raise certain frequencies, and reduce others, use the Waves Q10 paragraphic EQ, or some other such filter.  Do a google search to find primers on what freq ranges are good for certain instruments, etc, to help guide the settings you use.

D)  As mentioned above, peak at -.5 to 0dB.  I personally peak at -0.2, but that may be unncessary.

J

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 03:52:10 PM »
Thanks J  :coolguy: i apreciate the help adn I'll let ya know how it turns out. of course I have a standard copy of the show so this version will just be for my ears and I'l make sure to document my changes (for all those sticklers out there!  ;))

SS

cleantone

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 11:40:51 AM »
You forgot to mention that the Waves plugs ins run like a $1000...

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 02:50:55 PM »
Hey, he said "how can I"...he didn't say he wanted to do it for cheap :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com