Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What is you opinion on posting to the archive?

Allow just shn or flac
19 (67.9%)
allow mp3 downloads
6 (21.4%)
allow mp3 or some bands
3 (10.7%)
allow mp3 for some tapes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: mp3 or shn/flac only  (Read 2950 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
mp3 or shn/flac only
« on: April 13, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
I am somewhat torn on this one, I like to think that the hard work I have done to keep the recording clean, should be passed on to everyone who gets the music.  But a small part of me wants to let as many people as possible hear the music.
     I think I know what the result of this poll will be, but I'm interested in the answers none the less.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:mp3 or shn/flac only
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »
I post to allow hosting of mp3s for the bands that need the publicity...cant hurt to help them.  Besides I am getting to be more of the mindset that if I care about what form my tapes are circulated (basically if i care what someone does with them) not to share them anymore....

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 11:17:20 AM »
I am somewhat torn on this one, I like to think that the hard work I have done to keep the recording clean, should be passed on to everyone who gets the music.  But a small part of me wants to let as many people as possible hear the music.
     I think I know what the result of this poll will be, but I'm interested in the answers none the less.

Matt

once it leaves your hands, there's nothing you can do.  the best thing to do, IMO, is to make your master shn or flac files for distribution.  if someone wants to convert your show into mp3, there's really no way of stopping them.

by distributing your shn/flac files, you've done your best to get the music out to the fans. with bt and ftp, your show can reach anyone on this planet in few hours!!

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 11:25:24 AM »
I am going to go with FLAC or SHN just because no one likes Mp3 quality if you know why. plus you lose no quality in FLAC or shn.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 11:43:01 AM »
once it leaves your hands, there's nothing you can do.  the best thing to do, IMO, is to make your master shn or flac files for distribution.  if someone wants to convert your show into mp3, there's really no way of stopping them.

I agree. I'll put the shn/flac out there, and if someone wants to convert to mp3, let them do the work; I'm not going to make it easy for them, but telling people they'll be strung up by their toenails and will burn in hell for eternity for converting to mp3 accomplishes nothing, really...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 11:43:06 AM »
I say distribute them in mp3.  The question isn't shn/flac or alternatively mp3.  On the archive shn/flac is definite, the question is whether to also allow mp3.  I have already downloaded several mp3s off the archive myself.  If I just want to get a feel for a band, mp3 will do the trick and it is alot quicker.  And if folks are doing all of their listening on an ipod or car stereo, the mp3s work fine for them and are what they want.  Why make it so difficult for these people to listen to live music and new bands just because we don't agree with their listening tastes/philoshophy?

If it was the old days of just a few years ago and these mp3s could "pollute the gene pool" then it made sense to limit their distribution.  But with the archive, etree listings, etc, their will be easily found md5s/fingerprints that will readily determine which are the true high quality shn/flac sources.  Not to mention it is already quite easy to get the high quality shn/flac sources.

People who care about quality can easily be sure they are getting it, and not unknowingly getting crappy mp3s.  To me, the main objective is to spread the music.  Also, there is the need/desire to archive the music.  But with the archive, etree, md5s, and fingerprints, that need  is being taken care of.  So why limit the spread of the music in whatever form works for people?

I'm all for high quality music reproduction and have a decent amount invested in playback, but I still use the oft-attacked mp3s.  To check out new bands quickly and easily, to easily bring along alot of music with me on trips (yep, I loaded up the hell out of my Nomad with mp3s before I went on a 2 week Alaska trip).  My wife uses an mp3 player when she works out.  I'm sure lots of folks even on this board use mp3s here and there--what do you think the rest of the world is doing?

Taping and spreading music shouldn't be about ego.  People who really appreciate quality will appreciate the quality of your recordings, but let the folks who don't care listen to the music anyway.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 11:46:32 AM »
I tend to agree with Nick on this... at least that is what I have done in the past.  The local bands I record I don't care, as I know that they would want the quantity more than the quality.  As for conversion, I think that most people who know how to use a flac or shn file know of the quality differences and would leave it as is.  The exception may be the guy with the mp3 walkman, or car stereo and he just uses it for that.  But then he gives his beater mp3 cd away to guy guy who says "hey thats cool" and the next thing you know its being traded in a lesser form.  Ahhh... what can you do!

Matt

**edit**  excelent points todd... you must have been writing the same time I was.  I think yours is a minority view, but a very different way of looking at it.  You put up a great arguement.  The music doesn't ever degrade as long as the archive is alive... I wonder how many people will CHANGE their opinions after reading through this thread?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 11:54:56 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 12:14:49 PM »
i personally will only download lossless.  and i only spread lossless, however, when i upload to the archive for my friends band, i allow them to convert to mp3, ogg, and streaming.  the lossless is there as well for archival purposes and the streaming audio means i can listen to them at work without having to download them to my work puter.

as for my other stuff, i don't care if people mp3 it after they download it from me, just please don't share them.  what really upsets me is when i see my shows on ebay.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »
I say distribute them in mp3.  The question isn't shn/flac or alternatively mp3.  On the archive shn/flac is definite, the question is whether to also allow mp3.  I have already downloaded several mp3s off the archive myself.  If I just want to get a feel for a band, mp3 will do the trick and it is alot quicker.  And if folks are doing all of their listening on an ipod or car stereo, the mp3s work fine for them and are what they want.  Why make it so difficult for these people to listen to live music and new bands just because we don't agree with their listening tastes/philoshophy?

If it was the old days of just a few years ago and these mp3s could "pollute the gene pool" then it made sense to limit their distribution.  But with the archive, etree listings, etc, their will be easily found md5s/fingerprints that will readily determine which are the true high quality shn/flac sources.  Not to mention it is already quite easy to get the high quality shn/flac sources.

People who care about quality can easily be sure they are getting it, and not unknowingly getting crappy mp3s.  To me, the main objective is to spread the music.  Also, there is the need/desire to archive the music.  But with the archive, etree, md5s, and fingerprints, that need  is being taken care of.  So why limit the spread of the music in whatever form works for people?

I'm all for high quality music reproduction and have a decent amount invested in playback, but I still use the oft-attacked mp3s.  To check out new bands quickly and easily, to easily bring along alot of music with me on trips (yep, I loaded up the hell out of my Nomad with mp3s before I went on a 2 week Alaska trip).  My wife uses an mp3 player when she works out.  I'm sure lots of folks even on this board use mp3s here and there--what do you think the rest of the world is doing?

Taping and spreading music shouldn't be about ego.  People who really appreciate quality will appreciate the quality of your recordings, but let the folks who don't care listen to the music anyway.

You speak the TRUTH!!!

+T

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »
MP3 bothers me none.  I see the quality differences (those which I can hear) to be a sacrifice for the convenience...

I don't circulate my stuff in MP3, but a recent show I recorded was distro'd in MP3 over the usenet by a friend, and I didn't care too much... hope people listened to it loud!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 03:22:37 PM »
i've kinda changed my mind on this issue - i honestly don't care anymore.  i have my tapes in the original format but if somebody would rather have the mp3s they can go right ahead.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com