Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What would happen if I overloaded my JB3?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
What would happen if I overloaded my JB3?
« on: April 15, 2004, 01:43:44 AM »
I recently got a AD-20 and want to try everything out.  Problem is I haven't ordered my attenuator cables yet.  Still, I might be able to patch off this board and be ok.  Remember I am still an ignorant n00b so here is my concern...Is having a recording that was constantly clipping the worst thing that can happen or can I actually damage the JB3?  Thanks guys.

jpschust

Re:What would happen if I overloaded my JB3?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 01:49:47 AM »
you most likely wont damage the jb3, you will just get a bunch of clipping

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 01:54:29 AM »
Hmm...I think I will wait.  Another quick question then.  The attenuator cables will have to go into a y adapter in order to go into the ad-20...will any ole y adapter be OK...only reason I ask is because I don't know how attenuator cables actually work and if they can go into any other cables and still perform properly.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 02:29:13 PM »
I have been strugglin with this too... Here's what I have, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out:

SP Mics -> SP Battery box -> SP attenuator cable (basically a level control cable... $7 -> female 1/8" plug to 2 male XLR cable -> AD-20 -> NJB3 via optical...

The dude at SP said it would work.  They also told me I would be able to run the mics into the mic in on my old MD, which was completely incorrect, so I am not sure what to believe.

At any rate, the attenuator cable from them was only $7, and it seems like it should work, in theory anyways.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:51:24 PM »
Constant clipping will sound like horseshit, but it shouldn't damage your NJB3 or AD20.  From what I gather, you want to run:

mics or SBD > AD20 > NJB3

So, really, your NJB3 wouldn't be clipping - it's merely receiving a digital signal from the AD20.  It's the AD20 that would be clipping.

If SBD > AD20 > NJB3 clips like crazy and you don't have your attenuator cables yet, you could always run straight SBD > NJB3.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 03:10:07 PM »
Remember, the AD-20 likes to clip.

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 03:46:50 PM »
If SBD > AD20 > NJB3 clips like crazy and you don't have your attenuator cables yet, you could always run straight SBD > NJB3.

That's what I've been doing but I've been getting all of the JB3 operating noise on the recordings so I am trying to bypass that by using the AD-20.  Nothing that important I have to tape this week just a show I would have liked to.  Still might without the AD-20 and see how it turns out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com