Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Various taping / seeding / ethics questions  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Various taping / seeding / ethics questions
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:31:29 AM »
I dont start a lot of threads, but I've had some ideas going round my head for a few days now:

1. I have an incomplete recording (4 cuts, around 10-15 minutes missing) of a Velvet Revolver show, that (probably) nobody else taped. Its quite nice sounding. I've sent out a small number of copies, but I've mostly been waiting for another copy to turn up to patch mine. It hasn't in nearly two months. Should I seed it?

2. I have recordings from a number of artists who have played songs live - Thunder, Glitterati, Donnas (ahem) that are on albums that arent released yet. Wait until the album is out? How long after its released before I seed the show?

3. Would you seed a stealth recording from an artist that is vehemently against taping (see my old 'Response from bands manager - not at all happy with me taping!' thread)? While I really like the band, and want them to succeed, perhaps torrenting them isnt a good idea?

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24365.0

Anyway just thoughts, maybe theres no right and wrong answers, thanks for listening.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Various taping / seeding / ethics questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:49:37 AM »
my thoughts on seeding have changed a lot recently after seeing so many shows going up on ebay, .but in a perfect world i'd do...

1.  seed the show and in the info file put a request for other recordings so you can get the complete show.  the fans will be happy even if its not complete.  its all about the music, and an incomplete show is still better than no show.

2.  release them, i know when radiohead goes and tries out their new stuff on tour before they release it, i can't wait to get my hands on it.  if people don't want to hear the new stuff, they'll choose not too.  some of us just can't wait tho.  you might want to note in the info that the song is new.

3.  probably, especially if i knew it wasn't going to be sold on ebay.  i see taping as a good thing that helps bands, i don't really see how it could hurt them.

honestly tho, a lot of things have changed as of late.  and now i'll only seed shows where the band allows taping and i know they won't be sold on ebay.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »

2. I have recordings from a number of artists who have played songs live - Thunder, Glitterati, Donnas (ahem) that are on albums that arent released yet. Wait until the album is out? How long after its released before I seed the show?

reminds me of damien rice's retarded taping and trading policy....they want people to remove all of the new songs before spreading it...yea right, kiss my ass. all or nothing, i'm not removing 1/2 of the tracks and then putting them back in when the new album hits in 2 years.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 11:26:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I've decided I may as well seed the Velvet Revolver show (I've written a terrific rant about the eejit stood behind me), and as for the other artists - they have albums coming out pretty soon, so I'll wait until maybe 2 weeks after they are out before seeding them.

Cheers,

Humbug

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 12:07:41 PM »
well, do we get to read the terrific rant about the eejit behind you? please!

Absolutely. But its on my pc at home, give me a few hours...I'm 'dedicating' the recording to him for his part in ruining it!

thierryhenry

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:16:11 PM »

reminds me of damien rice's retarded taping and trading policy....they want people to remove all of the new songs before spreading it...yea right, kiss my ass. all or nothing, i'm not removing 1/2 of the tracks and then putting them back in when the new album hits in 2 years.

For sure, Damo's policy is a little off. Anyway, he's on the Archive, and I never figured out why more shows weren't uploaded!

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »
OK this is particularly petty of me, so if you feel the need to -t me, go ahead :) :

This recording is dedicated to the prat stood behind me; at various points he shoved, screaming shit in my ear (you can clearly hear him on the recording yelling "Starjumps, I want to see starjumps!" - not an action often performed by your average taper). He is partially responsible for this show being incomplete. I hope you rot in hell (or at least feel a twinge of embarrassment!).

I'm going live with the torrent at some point over the next couple of days.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 05:31:36 PM »
Ahh, if only I had enough posts, Humbug, I'd most certainly +t you.
Serves the jerk right.
 :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:04:05 AM »
i'll give you a +T - thats funny...i'd be pissed too.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com