Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speaker cable help  (Read 4004 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
speaker cable help
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:09:37 PM »
I am looking to upgrade my cables, and want to spend somewhere in the 100 dollar range right now.  I need bi-wire, and that is about it.  Any help?

Daryan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:speaker cable help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 07:51:55 PM »
canare speaker cables are a nice cost effectve upgrade.  You can usually find them on ebay for relatively unexpensive, or kindkables.com carries them as well.

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 10:03:00 AM »
To maximize "bang for the buck" go with the used cables.  I don't really have any recommendations in the $100 price range.  You could contact Usedcables.com and they can make recommendations based on your system.

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 10:31:17 AM »
I'm really happy with my Canare 4S8 cable:

http://www.canare.com/speakercable.html

Available at Markertek for $0.41/foot.

Canare cable in general is often touted as an affordable but high quality solution, achieving 90% of the quality of high-end, expensive cables.  (How anyone can quantify this into percentages like 90% is beyond me, but it's just a number, after all).

Diminishing returns and all - is the extra 10% really worth the additional expenditure?  You be the judge.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 10:48:35 AM »
Usedcable.com is a great place and the service is excellent.  I use a biwired pair of Vampire Wire cables that a local dealer recommended and they work great.  About $4 per foot, but not that much in total if you buy a biwired 8-foot pair.  I think that everything, including spade termination cost like $150.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 12:28:02 PM »
I'd check out Frank @ Signal cable on Audiogon. Quite a few people are running his cable with great results. Check Audiogon.com & search for signal cable. I ran DH Labs with great results before I switched to MIT, I'd love to try my old DH labs 10's but I need bannana's with my new speakers. I think the DH labs T-14's would work well for you at around $100.00. I purchased mine from Jeff @ Value Audio, excellent customer service.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 12:29:21 PM »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 09:12:39 AM »
You could probably come across a pair of Kimber 4TC's for close to that price, depending upon length.  You can split the wires to run a biwire for a bit, and then pick up a pair of 4TC's later.  4TC/8TC makes a pretty good combo for not too much $$.  I ran it for awhile, then ran 8TC biwire for a bit.  Good detail and bass slam, precise soundstaging.  Good cable for the money.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com