Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135473 times)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »
we'll see. i have a few of those at my disposal as well. :P
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
This will be my next purchase.
I always like to wait a bit to see if there are any major flaws.
Looks as if it's rock solid though.
Seems like a natural progression moving up from louies old Busman 660.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
 :coolguy:

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
just fired up my new 661 for the first time. i gotta say, the display screen is pretty bad-ass. very easy to read. im running a battery test with energizer e2 lithiums with phantom at 24/48. will report back.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
The awkward form factor for viewing the meters might be one thing that I didn't mention to ya Dennis...  sorry about that.  The OLED screen is bad ass.... in an open environment, I situate the 661 so that I can see the screen.  I turn the LED's off to save a little battery life.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
no worries Guy. i've already figured out how to run it in one of my bags where i can see the LEDs just fine.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »
well this is alarming. 3hr 24min into my battery test, my 661 stopped recording. just stopped. 24/48, phantom on, sandisk class 4. hit stop, then record, and it fired back up. not exactly what i was hoping for. :-\

eta: battery meter still showed full at the time it stopped

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:13 AM »
well this is alarming. 3hr 24min into my battery test, my 661 stopped recording. just stopped. 24/48, phantom on, sandisk class 4. hit stop, then record, and it fired back up. not exactly what i was hoping for. :-\

in your settings, do you have "Auto Track" turned off?  (It's the 7th item under presets).  That's where you set it to start a new file after a given amount of time.  I usually have mine set at 30 min (if I'm running 24/96) or 1 hour (if I'm running 24/48).  Either way, my files are all around 1 gig and then a new files starts.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »

in your settings, do you have "Auto Track" turned off?  (It's the 7th item under presets).  That's where you set it to start a new file after a given amount of time.  I usually have mine set at 30 min (if I'm running 24/96) or 1 hour (if I'm running 24/48).  Either way, my files are all around 1 gig and then a new files starts.
yes i do have it set to off. i didnt see the point in starting a new file if i didnt have to. is there some concern over the 661 not being able to successfully write a single file for a few hours straight? or are you asking too much of the card by doing this?

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
yes i do have it set to off. i didnt see the point in starting a new file if i didnt have to. is there some concern over the 661 not being able to successfully write a single file for a few hours straight? or are you asking too much of the card by doing this?

Some editing programs like Sound Forge I believe cannot open a file larger than 2gb in size, which is the only reason I would prefer to have a 2gb auto split function. 

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »
yeah no problems with wavelab 6 and larger files. i just spoke with Doug and he said he wouldnt use any less than a class 6 card for 24/48 and class 10 for 24/96, fwiw.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

As I said, I always have mine set to either 30 min or 1 hour.  I don't think having it set to off would be extras stress on teh card, but rather, I am not familiar with the deck's operations when it gets to the file size limit.  I thought it was supposed to automatically start a new file, but maybe it doesn't.  Because I know that if AutoTrack is on, it will automatically start a new file at the specified time, I suggest you try your test with autotrack set to "on", and then if the deck just stops, you know it isn't because the max file size is reached.  The weird thing is that 3 hr and 24 min, at 24/48, your file should be about 3.5 gb, yes?  and I thought that if autotrack was off, the max file size was 4gb.  So maybe this has nothing to do with why your deck stopped.  It does seem strange.

yeah no problems with wavelab 6 and larger files. i just spoke with Doug and he said he wouldnt use any less than a class 6 card for 24/48 and class 10 for 24/96, fwiw.

That may be a good recommendation in practice.  In theory, class 2 (@ 2MB/s) is 4 times the speed needed for stereo 24/96 (at ~0.5MB/s).  but we all know how the real world can differ from theory...  That said, I've use both an 8gb SanDisk Ultra II card and a 16gb PNY card (both are class 4), and I've never had any issues with 24/96 files.  Not that the faster cards wouldn't work, but I think they might be overkill.

To sum up, we don't really know why your deck stopped during the battery test.  What type of card was it?  Also, was it freshly formatted before you started the battery test?

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
sandisk ultra 8g class 4. freshly formatted in the 661 right before starting battery test. this morning, i fired back up the test and the deck stopped again, this time after only 41 min. yikes! wonder if i got a dud card.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2010, 12:53:43 PM »
sandisk ultra 8g class 4. freshly formatted in the 661 right before starting battery test. this morning, i fired back up the test and the deck stopped again, this time after only 41 min. yikes! wonder if i got a dud card.

yikes indeed.  Do you have another card to test with?  Also, the only "dud" SanDisk cards that I recall hearing about were fake sandisk cards sold on ebay.   Is that possible?  Did you buy from ebay?  If not, I guess it doesn't mean that a real Sandisk card can't be a dud, but they are a good company that consisteny makes good flash cards.  Other than the possibility of a dud card, I'm at a loss of what else it could be...

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
bought from amazon from beach camera. testing with the 2g card that came with the deck now. thanks for replying Jason.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com