Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD 620 Automatil level control ALC  (Read 1745 times)

Offline brado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
PMD 620 Automatil level control ALC
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
Does anybody know how does it work the PMD 620 Automatic level control ALC? Today I have recorded accordion music with ALC ON, mic gain 0 db, built in mics, and the level meters were also over 0 db with the record were distorted. May be there is something wrong with my new recorder or it is normal? What's the function of ALC, isn't it like a limiter? Is the ALC good for music and sounds live recordings or it is only for speech?
Thanks
Brado

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: PMD 620 Automatil level control ALC
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
Does anybody know how does it work the PMD 620 Automatic level control ALC? Today I have recorded accordion music with ALC ON, mic gain 0 db, built in mics, and the level meters were also over 0 db with the record were distorted. May be there is something wrong with my new recorder or it is normal? What's the function of ALC, isn't it like a limiter? Is the ALC good for music and sounds live recordings or it is only for speech?
Thanks
Brado

First of all, I don't think you should use the ALC for live music. Maybe for speech etc.
Second, I supose the music you're taping was not exactly loud. That would be the reason for you to set your Rec Level on 0db (maximum gain there is). In this case, chances are you're going to have some noise. Please check your manual (unit presets). You can choose between -24db, -12db or 0db attenuation. Maybe your PMD 620 is set to -24db and that may explain everything. Mine is set up with the -24db option, but I tape very loud music.
Hope that helps ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:07:16 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline brado

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »
Thank you Dede2002,

the music I have recorded was loud. But ALC isn't an "automatic" level control? Isn't it like a limiter? Excuse me, but it wasn't the gain level 0 db I have used, but the mic attenuation. With ALC you can't use the gain level, it's automatic. So I don't understand why my record were distorted and the level meters over 0 db. ALC is not good for live music? Also speech with mic attenuation 0 db is sometimes distorted and the level meters over 0 db. If I use mic attenuation -12 db is all right. What do you think? Is it normal or ALC on my recorder is wrong?

Thank you
Brado

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
Thank you Dede2002,

the music I have recorded was loud. But ALC isn't an "automatic" level control? Isn't it like a limiter? Excuse me, but it wasn't the gain level 0 db I have used, but the mic attenuation. With ALC you can't use the gain level, it's automatic. So I don't understand why my record were distorted and the level meters over 0 db. ALC is not good for live music? Also speech with mic attenuation 0 db is sometimes distorted and the level meters over 0 db. If I use mic attenuation -12 db is all right. What do you think? Is it normal or ALC on my recorder is wrong?

Thank you
Brado
Brado,

Well, this new information changes things quite a bit. ;) As far as my lack of knowledge goes, yes, it's some kind of limiter.
I didn't know that accordion music could be that loud ;). Anyway, your 0db att preset could be the answer. When you capture really loud music, sometimes even when your levels are OK, things are not really that OK. Again, I'm an apprentice here, but seems to me that you're dealing with brickwalling. Some internal stage of your recording just can't handle the high SPL, producing distorted/saturated sound even with your levels showing otherwise. Besides, the internal mics are not exactly the strongest feature of the PMD 620.
Word of advice: get external mics and a battery box. You'll be a happy man. You can't? Use the -24db att preset and forget about the ALC. Set your levels manualy.
Hope that helps ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com