Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: opinions on best recorder for stealth applications  (Read 2439 times)

Offline cbd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stylin' & Profilin'
    • http://phishhook.com/lists/cbd
opinions on best recorder for stealth applications
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
when I have run in stealth situations I have just used the 744 but its been kind of a hassle at times. I'm not the most knowledgable guy on new gear otehr than what I am alreadty running so I was hoping to get some thoughts from others on the following:

1) what recorder you use in stealth situations

2) why you do or don't like it

3) what modifications you had done & why

I guess this was prompted by an ad I saw on the american digital page for a marantz PMD 620 for $399. the downside I saw was it looks like it doesn't have phantom poer and only has a single 1/8" inpput so with my gear I'd also have to takle in the sonosax & run 1/8" out of that & into the marantz. Not sure if tehre's a mod to allow me to run B&K4022s straight in or not......
B&K4022>Sonosax>744

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: opinions on best recorder for stealth applications
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »
I would look at the r-09 for those situations...you could still run the sax and have a real low pro setup just need a cable made xlr->1/8   I ran this combo for jazzfest for panic's set if you have a show coming up let me know and I can send you mine to see if you like it.

chris
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline cbd

• Stylin' & Profilin'
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
chris: do you HAVE to use the Sax? what I am hoping to get is a single option so all I need to get in are the mics & the recorder
B&K4022>Sonosax>744

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
the only "small" recorder that provides phantom is the marantz 660
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »
and i'm sure the 4022>acm 660 would be the ta tas

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
that being said, i'd still go with the sax>r-09 as it's form factor is basically the same as the 660(maybe a little thicker) and you get the benefit of 24 bit. 660 only does 16 bit.

Offline cbd

• Stylin' & Profilin'
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
thanks dennis. yea it seems like every option has a downside. I just looked on the oade site at the "song catcher" mod for the 660 and like that but again as you state I am stuck with 16 bit

I'm sure the sax>r09 would sound better and would allow 24 bit but by the time I bring in extra cables & 2 pieces of gear I could just as easily deal with the 744

how bout that fostex fr2le? I couldn't really tell what the actual size would be
B&K4022>Sonosax>744

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »
thanks dennis. yea it seems like every option has a downside. I just looked on the oade site at the "song catcher" mod for the 660 and like that but again as you state I am stuck with 16 bit

I'm sure the sax>r09 would sound better and would allow 24 bit but by the time I bring in extra cables & 2 pieces of gear I could just as easily deal with the 744

how bout that fostex fr2le? I couldn't really tell what the actual size would be
furtooli is the same size as the 7xx. if you can semi-comfortably get away with the 7xx, it's your best bet ;)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »
"the only "small" recorder that provides phantom is the marantz 660"

The M-Audio Microtrack II is a pocket-size recorder, and it provides full 48V phantom power. (The original Microtrack 24/96 advertises it provides 48V power, but it doesn't.) The MT2 has sound quality issues (usually described as adding a lawn sprinkler noise) when running 1/4-inch unbalanced mic cables.  With phantom power turned on, you'll need a balanced cable, so no sprinkler issue.

Neither 660 nor MT2 will last long running on internal battery if you're providing phantom power.  Better provide external power if you need to run phantom for several hours.

Flintstone

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
I've mainly been stealthing 4023>722 for the past year or so but only because I've gotten over the phobia of stealthing with something to hold the recorder. In cases where I'm stealthing at a venue I've never been to before, I occasionally go sax>r09 to be on the safe side since I don't need something to hold the recorder.

I've always been interested in finding out what the breakout cable for the sonosax MINIR82 looks like. That and how it sounds for concert PA show taping.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

I've always been interested in finding out what the breakout cable for the sonosax MINIR82 looks like. That and how it sounds for concert PA show taping.

There is no official breakout cable for digital in, they just give you an empty connector that plugs into the bottom of the MiniR82, about the size of an older computer serial port connector.  You then get this wired for whatever digital ins you need. 

The Sonosax MiniR82 also provides phantom power on its mic-in (Binder connectors) if you wire the connectors properly, by the way.

Jeff

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »
4022 XLR straight into the Sax > mini-to-mini > Sony D50 @ 24/48 or 24/96 = perfect compact stealth rig IMO

the D50 is roughly the same size as the Sonosax. I use the Sonosax/D50 combo with my Schoeps/kc5/cmc6xt's to stealth and so far so good.

The D50 runs on 4 AA's and you can easily get 5 hours on a set.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.27 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com