Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 113690 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »
not sure, but I thought I would help someone else out....

i do know that not all CF cards work in all decks, like my Marantz 671 will not work with the 16gb A-Data CF card

the r09 and r09hr use SD cards, not CF's.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:48 PM »
not sure, but I thought I would help someone else out....

i do know that not all CF cards work in all decks, like my Marantz 671 will not work with the 16gb A-Data CF card

the r09 and r09hr use SD cards, not CF's.

I am aware, I am just making a comparison of decks and cards not always working together

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
I have the latest firmware, 1.04.

Took the card out of the package, formatted it in the R09hr and then hit record.... I will have to recharge the AA's and run another test over the weekend.

that is curious... I have 2 of those cards and I can't get them to reliably record 24/96.  They'll go for hours, then I'll randomly get the "slow card" error.  I've been able to fill it continuously at 24/96 a few times, but I'm not confident running it at 24/96 in the field.  Could you run a few more tests, but this time stop and restart recordings a few times along the way.  What firmware are you running?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
Just a reminder the line-in is free of this noise (and that on the HR mic-in, it is at a very low level, see guysonics graph above and so not audible under any circumstances I can find, including normalizing silence). As is clear the R09HR is far better overall than the R09 for mic-in specs that also include similar digi-noise.

I've been following the ongoing testing. Big thanks to all involved especially digifish and guysonic for the hard data. It seems it's been well established that despite the imperfections, the HR has improved mic-in performance.  Yet there is one thing I've wondered that hasn't been addressed directly and is frankly like a invisible purple elephant standing in the corner of the Taperssection clubhouse-

Is the R-09HR any better than the original R-09 recording a line-input at a conservative mid-range gain setting?
(when making a 24/48 or 24/44.1 recording on both machines with a conservative line-in gain setting of 13-17 on the R-09 and whatever the equivalent gain setting would be on the R-09HR)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:18 PM »
Looking at the graphs in Guysonic's reviews of the R-09 and R-09HR,
it looks to me like the two recorders' line in performance is about the same.

Edirol R-09   http://www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
Edirol R-09HR   http://www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm

Flintstone

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
Hmmm..
Maybe we need same type of graphs for just the line inputs for R09 and R09HR to be able to compare well.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »
Just a reminder the line-in is free of this noise (and that on the HR mic-in, it is at a very low level, see guysonics graph above and so not audible under any circumstances I can find, including normalizing silence). As is clear the R09HR is far better overall than the R09 for mic-in specs that also include similar digi-noise.

I've been following the ongoing testing. Big thanks to all involved especially digifish and guysonic for the hard data. It seems it's been well established that despite the imperfections, the HR has improved mic-in performance.  Yet there is one thing I've wondered that hasn't been addressed directly and is frankly like a invisible purple elephant standing in the corner of the Taperssection clubhouse-

Is the R-09HR any better than the original R-09 recording a line-input at a conservative mid-range gain setting?
(when making a 24/48 or 24/44.1 recording on both machines with a conservative line-in gain setting of 13-17 on the R-09 and whatever the equivalent gain setting would be on the R-09HR)

By better do you mean less noise or better sound (or both)? I did a line-in comp a while back where I, and some others, preferred the R-09HR line-in sound. Didn't specifically measure noise, though, and I no longer have the R-09 for testing.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »

By better do you mean less noise or better sound (or both)? I did a line-in comp a while back where I, and some others, preferred the R-09HR line-in sound. Didn't specifically measure noise, though, and I no longer have the R-09 for testing.

I remember your comp (thanks for that ;)). Well, I have both units. The R-09HR sounds way better than the R-09 ( which is great recorder BTW). I  only use Line In. R-09HR is warmer, has a beautiful tight bass and is more transparent. At this time, to my ears, the graphs really doesn't matter that much. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:17:22 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the opinions, that's what I was hunting for.  Were those comps posted earlier in this thread and are they still available?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
Thanks for the opinions, that's what I was hunting for.  Were those comps posted earlier in this thread and are they still available?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,104920.15.html

I think that this is what you're looking for. ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Hmmm..
Maybe we need same type of graphs for just the line inputs for R09 and R09HR to be able to compare well.

Here is the R-09 verses R-09HR LINE input noise plots at -35dB reference input gain using my own PA-3SX preamplifier set at highest 36dB gain. 

Both decks look virtually identical, but R-09HR seems to have more high frequency bandwidth a might be expected of a deck capable of 88.2K/96K recording mode.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
Ahh. Thanks to both of you.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »
Two samples.Opinions are more than welcome  ;)

MM HLSO-1 Micro (Senn MKE 2) > BB > Edirol R-09HR
Line In 24/96 ( 16/41, Track and Normalize with Sound Studio)

Not exactly a venue, but a room for pocket shows ( 90 seated persons) on a big books/music megastore. No PA, just two guitar amps, one bass amp and a drum kit. In other words, my kind of place. Bass and drums in civilized volume. Guitar, not so much. I'm a guitar player. I know we just can't help ourselves when it comes to volume  ;D. The guitar in the left channel almost screwed my left ear hearing.
Anyway, the (very small) stage is only 2 feet high and I was seated on the first row, like 3 feet from the stage lip, dangerously closed, considering the guitar amps they were using.

http://rapidshare.com/files/131221088/Track05.flac.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/131226150/Track07.flac.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:10:03 PM by Dede2002 »

Offline matija

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »
hello
tryin to decide between R09HR and Tascam DR1..
I ve already checked some topics on tapersection, also google but no step further..
line-in looks kind of similar, what about the noise and sound of built-in mics?
some audio comparison?

thanks
m ???

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »
Just bought the new Edirol R-09HR and now need to get a few cards for it.  Does anyone know if these are likely to work?  If so, you can't beat these prices.

http://www.supermediastore.com/pqi-sdhc-8gb-class-6-memory-card.html#description

http://www.supermediastore.com/apacer-8gb-class-6-sd-high-capacity-sdhc-memory-card.html

Also, is there some general rule of thumb to use in deciding what types of SD cards are suitable?  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com