Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack 24/96 won't respond beyond main menu, frozen, locked up  (Read 2518 times)

Offline bok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Unit powers up, goes through 'booting firmware', opens the main menu and then won't proceed any further. If you are quick you can select the next level menu and scroll a bit but then it seems to run out of brain, locks up and requires a 10 second shutdown procedure (see below).

I have switched it off and back on a many times, only to freeze up every time.

The unit appears fully charged (according to battery icon) after a long time connected through the desktop computer (it's switched on).

I thought if I could get to the Firmware update option and re-install, I might have half a chance of fixing the problem but I can't get to that point.

The unit has never been dropped or damaged in any way but has had a lot of use over 13 months. I have recorded 400GB of data, the majority of it is in MP3 format at a sample rate of 44.1KHz & 96 bit rate in mono.

Before this happened, it had one of those " hard to power off " turns after a long charge at the computer. My solution was to just hold the ON/OFF button down for about 10 seconds. I have since read that the correct method is to hold the ON/OFF and delete button down simultaneously for 10 seconds.

I am wondering if the impasse (menu freeze) is a sympton of internal battery fatigue or does this mean something's seriously wrong. 

MICROTRACK 24/96 v1.4.6 | WINDOWS XP, AMD DURON 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM 
PRESONUS FIREBOX | YAMAHA S90ES | SIBELIUS 5 | CUBASE 3SX

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Microtrack 24/96 won't respond beyond main menu, frozen, locked up
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
It is really hard to say based on the info you supplied. This may or may not help, but do you know which firmware you have been using, and also how is your battery? Have you tried powering up while plugged into the supplied wall power adapter?

Also have you changed any of your input settings recently? What settings do you use to record? (meaning 1/8 in? or 1/4 in? or spdif in?)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline bok

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
Thanks for considering my problem dallman. I have put the unit on the mains charger as you suggested and will report whether the machine springs to life or remains in a coma.

I have been using firmware v1.4.6

I haven't changed any input settings settings except the H M L level switch which I alter according to the job.

I record using the 1/8" jack and T mic supplied.

My compact flash memory card, a Kingston 2GB (50X Elite Pro), had been re-formatted the prevoius night and contained no data files at the time of the hang.

I use an Energizer instant cell phone charger as an external battery charger with a rotation of 3 pairs of NiMH 2100mAh batteries.

My recording, download and charging procedure and settings have been almost the same for just over a year and without any problems.

Offline bok

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »
Although the Microtrack recharged using the mains adapter, the battery icon has depleted very quickly to about 20% full which leads me to the conclusion that the symptoms that I described to begin this thread (symptoms which continue), are likely to have been caused by the internal battery being too weak to do the job. It looks like user replacement of the Lithium-Ion battery is not a simple matter either. I don't even know how to open the unit properly to see for myself what would be involved.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
Although the Microtrack recharged using the mains adapter, the battery icon has depleted very quickly to about 20% full which leads me to the conclusion that the symptoms that I described to begin this thread (symptoms which continue), are likely to have been caused by the internal battery being too weak to do the job. It looks like user replacement of the Lithium-Ion battery is not a simple matter either. I don't even know how to open the unit properly to see for myself what would be involved.

Very possible. If you keep it plugged in and then when it it is fully charged, does it function at all. I know that the battery when weak can cause lots of problems, but I would think (or hope) that when plugged in and showing a full charge, it might function.

BTW, there is a trick to getting the unit to fully charge. If you just plug it in and let it charge, at some point, the unit (which may be almost fully charged), just freezes, what I mean is the battery icon no longer moves. If at that point you hit the power button and turn the unit on, you will continue chgarging and eventually get a little icon of an electric plug, showing it is done charging and now just pulling power from the wall. Since yours freezes, you may be unable to try this, but it is worth a try...
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com