Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 or Tascam DR-07 - Which one?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline bravoland

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H2 or Tascam DR-07 - Which one?
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
I want one of these Sub $200 Units.  and until today I was all set for the Zoom H2

Right now it's $158 bucks on Amazon - Free Shipping

But then i just saw on Soundprofessionals the Tascam DR-07 with MINI BINAURAL MICROPHONEs for $199

This will be the only rig i will own and i will use it primarly for stealth Loud Mainstream Rock in Arena's

Tascam dr-07 is newer but it's also about an inch longer..  Not sure it that will be a problem for stealth entry.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated on which one would be preferred

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: Zoom H2 or Tascam DR-07 - Which one?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »
This will be the only rig i will own
 That's a good one!

Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:26:24 AM »
When you'd buy the Zoom H2, would you be using the internals? When you're going to record loud arena shows, there's no way the internal mics of the H2 can handle the sound pressure level. Invest in some cardiod mics for arena shows, omni/binaural mics pick up too much crowd noise and the reverb of the arena itself. Unless you're standing upfront, you'd be better of using cards.
For the recorder, I couldn't give you any advice, I use the H2 only with external batterybox and mics and haven't heard of the Tascam DR-07.
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
i will use it primarly for stealth

Ok, this is the key issue here. If you're serious abt stealthing, you won't use the internals, since external mics are so much easier to conceal.
So your choice boils down to: which recorder performs best with mic in? That includes built in preamp and AD performance (assuming that you're not going to pick up any separate boxes).

Those familiar with Tascam gear say that DR-07 is just a slimmed-down DR-1 with the same specs. From the user reports on TS, DR-1 outperforms the H2 when going mic in, so that should be the case with DR-07 too.

You could wait for more field reports on the DR-07, or jump the gun now and be our guinea pig! ;-)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline antsyashley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »
I used the DR-07 to tape two JJ Grey & Mofro shows this week. This was my first taping experience, so I can't compare it to any other. The Tascam was great, and it produced excellent recordings. I did it out in the open, but I can see it being a wonderful stealth rig as well. I used the external mini mics that SP gave away with the device. I'll post the link to the archive when it's ready.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
Th H2 is a great little device, but the mic input (if used with a mic directly connected) is surprisingly noisy, unlike the internal mics. 

Offline det1967

• Taperssection Regular
  • This Is Music!
    • DT's Trade Page
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
When you'd buy the Zoom H2, would you be using the internals? When you're going to record loud arena shows, there's no way the internal mics of the H2 can handle the sound pressure level. Invest in some cardiod mics for arena shows, omni/binaural mics pick up too much crowd noise and the reverb of the arena itself. Unless you're standing upfront, you'd be better of using cards.
For the recorder, I couldn't give you any advice, I use the H2 only with external batterybox and mics and haven't heard of the Tascam DR-07.

I've recorded some loud shows (Raconteurs) with the H2 using the rear internals and they handled the pressure fine. No distortion whatsoever with the mics on the low sensitivity setting.
Have a nice day, Danny

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »
 Hey I can't compare it to anything else but I have had good results with my H2 . I have mostly recoded with permission. I am checking out the new H4n looks like it has some bonus features for a little more. Will be interested in what the reports are once this is out. Its a little bigger than the H2,probably less stealthy. I have been considering some mics and battery box for my H2 for stealth purposes and would pay more than the recorder cost for them. 

Offline antsyashley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
Hi folks,

>:D taped a show with my DR-07. I am attaching some itty bitty samples (converted to mp3) so you can see how good it sounds. I used the SP-BMC-2 mini binaurals > Tascam DR-07. No extra battery or gain or anything else needed. It was way too easy! :-)

Enjoy!

P.S. By the way, did you see my posting on this thread (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,116444.0.html) with the full shows from an out in the open recording with this rig?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:44:38 PM by antsyashley »

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
I gotta say they sound overly warm to the point of a bit muddy. Your previous Full show on archieve site are top notch other than the sound guy had the rockband approch ( too much) kick for my take :(
I just bought the DR-.  I have the H2 and am thinking about the SP omnis now based on your captures At $49 how can you go wrong ?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 02:12:20 AM »
I'd like to hear a sample using the internal mics?

Also, I can't seem to figure out what kind of mics the internals are, omnis, cards? All the literature just says stereo electric condensers? Anyone know?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com