Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II and LSD2 rig experience?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Microtrack II and LSD2 rig experience?
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »

Hey now, does anyone have any experience running a Studio Projects LSD2 stereo mic into a Microtrack II?  How are the stock preamps, and what kind of battery time could I expect with (1) a 4AA cell sled, or (2) one of those iPod lithium Usb external batteries.  Thanks.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Microtrack II and LSD2 rig experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »

Hey now, does anyone have any experience running a Studio Projects LSD2 stereo mic into a Microtrack II?  How are the stock preamps, and what kind of battery time could I expect with (1) a 4AA cell sled, or (2) one of those iPod lithium Usb external batteries.  Thanks.

I would go for the Tascam D100 as it has true 48V phantom power and a better A/D. or you can spend more and go for the pmd661. sound professionals has the tascam for under 400. it has an internal battery + you can also put AA's in it for extended recording time.

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »
Whats wrong with going LSD2>MiniME>MTII?
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:59 PM »
Imho, running mics>pre>spdif>mt2 is a fine chain.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:48:03 PM »
Whats wrong with going LSD2>MiniME>MTII?

Wondering if I can take the MiniMe out of the chain   ??? for when I want to carry less gear.  Tascam DR100 has a better A/D than the Microtrack II, eh?  Real 48V phantom?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:51:59 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline spaceboy_psy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Always expect the inevitable
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I've only heard bad things about the MTII's pres and A/D, and it's phantom power for that matter (more like 30V apparently, can be bad for mics...)

I'd say check that it won't hurt your mic and give it a go, but keep that mini-me handy...

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
I've only heard bad things about the MTII's pres and A/D, and it's phantom power for that matter (more like 30V apparently, can be bad for mics...)

I'd say check that it won't hurt your mic and give it a go, but keep that mini-me handy...
Most mics can run well under 48v without issue.
Check the specs on your mics.
My 460's are spec'd to run on 5 to 52 volts.

The lsd2 will run on 24-52v.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
> Most mics can run well under 48v without issue.

That's certainly not true at the professional level. I just made a mental list of what I would consider to be the seven most highly-regarded manufacturers of studio condenser microphones in the world; only two of them sell any microphones that can run properly with phantom powering of less than 48 Volts, only certain models from those two are that way--and for one of those two manufacturers, if the mike isn't running on IEC standard 48-Volt phantom powering then it has to be running on IEC standard 12-Volt phantom powering, which is an equally strict standard. For all the other top-tier condenser microphones that use phantom powering, it's strictly IEC standard 48-Volt phantom powering--no ifs or buts.

If people put up with substandard phantom powering in their preamps, recorders, interfaces or whatever, then whenever anyone tries to connect a pair of really good microphones, the microphones won't put out the quality that they're capable of and/or the equipment (including the microphones) will be unreliable--as in, it might literally burn out. Please don't be a part of setting people up for that to happen.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:58:59 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.308 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com