Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Recorder for $300-500.00 that has two 1/4" mic plug ins?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
Best Recorder for $300-500.00 that has two 1/4" mic plug ins?
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »
Long time Dat taper will have to eventually switch to 24 bit recorder,etc.Two questions: 1) What recorder has two 1/4" mic input jacks for my Nakamichi 300 mics.I don't really want a recorder with a single mini-jack plug in as I've learned in the past about loose/unstable connections with a mini-jack.2) What decks have attenuators or high/low mic switches built in? This is a must,in case I'm taping at a loud show.Any decks with these specs in the $250-$500 range? Any help appreciated!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best Recorder for $300-500.00 that has two 1/4" mic plug ins?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
The Zoom H4n (retails around $300) has combination XLR/1/4" inputs and the M-Audio MicroTrack II (retails ~$200) has 1/4" inputs.  I can't think of any others in your price range that have 1/4", but I could very well have missed one.  The Edirol R-44 also has combination XLR/1/4" inputs, but that is about double the price of your upper limit...

Some 1/4" to XLR adapter cables, perhaps into a used recorder, might extend the range of options a bit...

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
Fostex FR2LE has them and can be had for less than $500. Long recording times, quality sound, ease of use, I find mine to be a reliable and well engineered product.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »
X2 for the FR-2LE

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
Hi Charlie:

The MTII doesn't have the audio pad you're looking for.  I don't recall that the FR2LE had one either...I looked at the specs and it's not mentioned.  The PMD-660 has the pad, but that's a 16 bit machine and you specified that you want 24bit (which you DEF do want...as long as you're upgrading from DAT, go 24bit all the way).  The specs of the PMD-661 don't say anything about a 10db pad being included on that product, but it's out of your price range anyway.  I'm not totally sure, but I can't think of any recorders that meet all of the specifications that you've requested in your PM.  Perhaps if the pad becomes a limiting factor for you, in-line attenuators might be your best option and that would free you up to consider more recorders.

Hope this helps a little.

Steve

EDIT:  Correction, I found an operating manual on-line and the PMD-661 does have audio attenuators...-0db, -6db, -12db and -18db are the four options.  However, the 661 doesn't have 1/4 inch inputs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:24:10 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
The Fostex FR2-LE is a fine recorder, but its 1/4" inputs are line inputs, not mic.  It does not have input pads.  However, as it has already been pointed out, 1/4" to XLR adaptors and in-line pads are easy to make or buy.

Why do you need 1/4" inputs?  The Naks have XLR out; maybe you just need some new cables.  Also, the Naks do have 10 dB pads; are those adequate?

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:42:15 AM »
^ That's what I was thinking too.  FWIW, I might be in the minority with this comment, but I always put 1/4 inch connectors in somewhat of the same boat as 1/8 inch mini connectors.  To me, the main issue with these connectors is that they're not locking, so the chance exists of them being knocked around and causing static on the recording or of course accidentally being pulled out...or just getting loose with lots of use.  Obviously, in this respect, 1/4 inch have less chance of that happening than 1/8, but just saying that's why I put them somewhat in the same category.  XLRs have always been my preference for peace of mind knowing that if the cable gets snagged or tripped over, the connector will usually hold tight. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:44:25 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »
the fr2le has trim knobs
basically the same as a pad correct??
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
the fr2le has trim knobs
basically the same as a pad correct??

Yes and no. 

It depends on the gain range controlled by the knobs on the particular recorder.  On some recorders the gain range is perhaps only 20db or 30db of total range from the lowest setting to the highest setting.  On most, the gain range is alot more than that.  So, I'd say that in most cases your point is correct, that the trim and gain controls on a recorder should span through an adequate gain range that covers most recording situations that we encounter.

That said, I had a situation once that allows me to understand the OP's request.  I was recording with a mictrotracker during a very loud show and using some super sensitive mics.  In this situation, because of the sensitivity of the mics, I could barely roll the recorder level back far enough for the levels to be peaking in an acceptable range.  In other words, I was all the way rolled back to the lowest gain setting on the recorder and I was still peaking VERY close to 0db.  In that case, I REALLY needed a -10db pad, either on the recorder or on the mics, in order to give me even a few db of headroom to play with.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
The 1/4" inputs of the FR2LE can handle a line signal, but there is also plenty of range on the gain adjustment (not sure if the trim controls even affect the 1/4" inputs).  If the CM300s are hot enough to overload a mic input, they should be plenty hot enough for the pre in the FR2LE, at the same time they are not likely to overload the line inputs.

Offline Boedi-taper

• Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »
Thanks guys for all your input! Hope to buy something in the near future!

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:16:29 PM »
on the fr2-le the pots do no effect gain.  I ran stock cm-300>fr2-le at a kimock show earlier this year.  got them modded to be franken-naks now though.  When i ran them i used xlr-xlr so that i could have the extra gain.  just be sure to turn the phantom off.

If you do decide to buy an fr2-le i just happen to have one for sale for $300  ;)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=129848.0
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com